Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Sporty, by downvoting me (yeah I get it may just be your habit) are you saying that none of the features of v11 were user requested?
TexasTezla, people are sharing their comments on V11 update, they have all right to do so. You are not playing the ball. If you can't keep your feedback polite and factual you have no business in this forum.

Pull over? really? Wow, all you need do is swipe up anywhere on the screen and there it is...if you can learn where the button was before then it cant take much to learn where it is now...
Have you ever driven on a twisty mountain road? Milliseconds count.

I am wondering, what is the benefit of swipes (longer interaction) vs. taps (shorter interaction)?

Reactions: COS Blue

I am wondering, what is the benefit of swipes (longer interaction) vs. taps (shorter interaction)?
Some people think its fine for (them) to text on their phone while driving. They either can't or don't want to understand the issue. Mixed into that is the idea of Tesla/Elon doing anything less than ideal would chip away at some important part of their identity. No, the explanation is that we 'don't like change', or that we are just not smart enough to understand the amazing vision that Elon has. :)

Sorry, this is not some part of some master plan that only Elon can understand.

It's 100% bad human interface design.

Agreed. It might be a “shipped before done” (and bad prioritizing work items by management) issue. The whole customization docking thing “feels” like it should have some dockable controls. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were on the drawing board but didn’t get done in time.

The whole night time map issue, which has been somewhat modified, is clearly an indicator it was was rushed.

Just follow me here for a second…
There actually is NOTHING forward thinking nor streamlined about V11. In fact it’s the opposite, anybody could have done it.
They stripped all the media content out of the media player, entertainment content out of entertainment window, etc.
Turned all that content into stand alone icons, that are indecipherable, and then removed any direct way to access the feature they belong to.
How is that streamlining anything.? That’s the kind of crap that comes from an unimaginative amateur.
That’s Mickey Mouse. Give up 3 buttons for 18 icons. And thats moving forward? Get real.
And any jackass can strip the essential controls for climate and hide them in cluttered menus, leave blank space and call that innovative. NOT.

Am I missing something? I cannot find the compass on the display now. Prior to this awful v11, you could switch views to north always up, or direction of travel. It was a quick and easy way to see what direction you were going, at a simple glance. Unless I’m missing something, they did away with the option to switch orientation and removed the compass heading.

This is by far the worst update I’ve seen. This past year has really made me question if I’ll buy another Tesla after this. Between the BS driving test to get FSD, last year’s ridiculous Xmas update, this v11 insanity, and some of Elon’s childish tweets, I’m seriously wondering about the professionalism of this company.

I was driving in freezing drizzle at -10C last week (rain at -10, go figure). The car was cold-soaked and the windshield started building a coating of ice pretty quickly. Defrost was easy to engage and the bottom part of the windshield cleared as it warmed up. Then I got off the highway and with less cold airflow outside the defroster heat started drying the salt so I couldn't see again. Switched defrost off , and also manually de-selected windshield heat so the glass would stay wet. Then I started driving faster and the situation reversed again. It was very stressful, and in hindsight I was very grateful to have quick access to the HVAC status and controls. V11 may be fine where there's no real winter but those of us in northern latitudes need more consideration of the realities we face. Auto climate and wipers are useless in the winter, so when manual operation is required the driver needs direct access to the system status and controls.

It would be very helpful if those who continue to defend V11 as just requiring minor adaptation could acknowledge that their driving experience may not reflect what others have to deal with.
As a fellow Montreal'er, even though my Model 3 is not here yet so I can't comment on the UI, I was in the same freezing rain in my ICE.
Same ice build up, same wiper issues same wet/dry/freeze/streaks. No setting worked either wiper or HVAC.
This has nothing to do with UI, it is just Mother nature, ice/snow and salt on wet roads doing what they do.

Try driving in El Portillo high in the Chilean Andes if you want twisties! Driven across from Santiago to Mendoza many times. You could just slow down to be safer! That's what is recommended and what I do when in snowy mountain passes. Doing that means milliseconds don't really count.

As for swipes v taps. Is this your argument?

• Funny
Reactions: ContrarianDC
I prefer interfaces that improve a
Actually, I would prefer interface that does not change instead of interface that is shoved down on me. Customer service 101.
Other companies do that but I have not seen anyone on such scale. It is one thing to change a phone but a whole different thing to change a car.
I prefer interfaces that improve and as far as I am concerned, v11 is a great improvement. I love the cleaner looking interface and less cluttered map as well as getting rid of those annoying icons across the top.

A car needs to work all places people drive and for all people in all circumstances. There are multiple other shortcomings to voice control that have been described repeatedly.

Yes, you can ask that question to any of the thousands of drivers who get in accidents every day because they are distracted. Good UI design for a car means minimizing the time you look at the screen. Compared to V10, V11 did the reverse.

you say that like having screen redesigns is automatically good. If it makes things better it's good. If it makes things worse, then it's bad. Having major redesigns on a regular basis is also bad because you repeatedly make people re-learn how to operate their car. Most of us want to use our cars, not learn them.

Ah, but you are wrong - that is not 'flexibility.' See my previous paragraph.
1. You need to look up the word 'flexibility'. Some of the changes were a direct result of user requests. If it CAN change it IS flexible.
2. Tesla vehicles DO work in all places people drive in all circumstances. If you want the ADDED benefit of voice control then you require a cell signal.
3. For me, with the added control button and larger buttons, it is now easier to do all of what I had to hunt and peck to do in v10.
4. Where did I say having screen redesigns is automatically good? All I have ever said is for me v11 is better than v10.
5. You keep saying 'most of us'...without any evidence to support this. If you mean the vote on liking or disliking v11 then that is hardly 'most of us'! At best you can say that the people who expressed a dislike for v11 want to use their cars and not learn them.

Reactions: Sporty