Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
The way the API works, Tesla won't allow the Octopus app to alter the setting in the car (or the Tesla app). For that to work properly as you described, the Tesla app and car slider would also need to alter the Octopus app % too - complete bidirectional control which I guess they would not be cool with for security reasons.
I don't think that's true, with the up to date API connection that involves pairing a virtual key. It can be seen in the Tesla Account settings, under Security->Third Party Apps.

Octopus Energy currently requests permission for 'Vehicle Information' and 'Vehicle Charging Management', which allows it to get the charge limit setting, and start/stop charging.

But there's a third permission available, 'Vehicle Commands', which is used by some other apps, e.g. Tessie, which is able to change the charge limit and charge current settings. You actually have the option in the Tesla Account settings to give Octopus that permission, but I doubt the Octopus app would currently do anything with it.

So it's technically possible from the Tesla side for the Octopus app to update the car's charge limit setting, should they decide to implement such a feature.

Reactions: Royal27
That isn't what's happening. IO is reading the charge limit value from what the API publishes, which was set by the car slider.
READ THAT BOLDED PARYT SLOWLY
IO does not talk to the car directly at all.
Let me write in caps, maybe it is easier for you: IT DOES NOT HAVE TO TALK TO CAR.
The API does not allow the Octopus app to set the charge level, only read it. It allows it to send start and stop charge control codes.
IT DOES NOT HAVE TO! CAR SET THE LIMIT. CAR!!! IO JUST READS IT SCHEDULES ACCORDINGLY.

200w.gif

Is my English that bad or there is something that I cannot explain?

Its like to tooth paste. TUBE is car. Toothbrush is IO. TUBE provides paste.

I don't think that's true, with the up to date API connection that involves pairing a virtual key. It can be seen in the Tesla Account settings, under Security->Third Party Apps.

Octopus Energy currently requests permission for 'Vehicle Information' and 'Vehicle Charging Management', which allows it to get the charge limit setting, and start/stop charging.

But there's a third permission available, 'Vehicle Commands', which is used by some other apps, e.g. Tessie, which is able to change the charge limit and charge current settings. You actually have the option in the Tesla Account settings to give Octopus that permission, but I doubt the Octopus app would currently do anything with it.

So it's technically possible from the Tesla side for the Octopus app to update the car's charge limit setting, should they decide to implement such a feature.
I think your're correct Ken, but the development was done pre-fleet API of course. Scope for additional control down the line.

WHY!?! Why do you want to control car charge limit via IO?!?!?!?!
FFS
You do not need to update car settings via IO!!!!! You update IO setting from the car!!!!!

IO does what car asks, not vice versa!

READ THAT BOLDED PARYT SLOWLY

Let me write in caps, maybe it is easier for you: IT DOES NOT HAVE TO TALK TO CAR.

IT DOES NOT HAVE TO! CAR SET THE LIMIT. CAR!!! IO JUST READS IT SCHEDULES ACCORDINGLY.

200w.gif

Is my English that bad or there is something that I cannot explain?

Its like to tooth paste. TUBE is car. Toothbrush is IO. TUBE provides paste.
Just going to mute you mate, sorry. I've tried to explain best I can but f**k this.

The original API had the ability to control charge level - it was simply reverse engineered from the Apple/android apps
I'm speculating but an entity the size of Octopus probably shared their development plans with Tesla. Either Tesla asked them not to bake functionality that in to their app, or the Octopus devs decided not to implement it that way. It's moot though, the current Octopus app doesn't do it.

Sure. I actually had another question about Intelligent Octopus: how do I see the past history of allocated smart charging slots?

Currently, I just get up in the morning, and find the car has charged to target during the night, and for most times that's all I need to know, really. Tessie shows me a charging log, but the Octopus app will not display the previous night's schedule so I have no way to verify that the schedule was followed.

I've experienced incidences where the car started charging outside the off-peak times (without me touching the Octopus or Tesla apps), and not in the smart charging time slots I recalled seeing from the last notification, but when I go into the Octopus app it updates the smart charging time slots based on the now higher charge state. So I have no way to work out who initiated the peak time charge. One of those was over 30kWh because charging had started while I was cooking dinner, and I only spotted it hours later when taking out the rubbish and seeing the flashing green light on the car charge port.

Personally, I find IO (the Kraken side) quite a marvel, it's trying to load balance energy consumption across tens or hundreds of thousands of accounts and devices, across dozens of different brands/manufacturers and therefore different software interfaces, which don't necessarily all support the same intents.

Sure. I actually had another question about Intelligent Octopus: how do I see the past history of allocated smart charging slots?

Currently, I just get up in the morning, and find the car has charged to target during the night, and for most times that's all I need to know, really. Tessie shows me a charging log, but the Octopus app will not display the previous night's schedule so I have no way to verify that the schedule was followed.

I've experienced incidences where the car started charging outside the off-peak times (without me touching the Octopus or Tesla apps), and not in the smart charging time slots I recalled seeing from the last notification, but when I go into the Octopus app it updates the smart charging time slots based on the now higher charge state. So I have no way to work out who initiated the peak time charge. One of those was over 30kWh because charging had started while I was cooking dinner, and I only spotted it hours later when taking out the rubbish and seeing the flashing green light on the car charge port.

Personally, I find IO (the Kraken side) quite a marvel, it's trying to load balance energy consumption across tens or hundreds of thousands of accounts and devices, across dozens of different brands/manufacturers and therefore different software interfaces, which don't necessarily all support the same intents.
The Octopus app doesn’t show any charging history. If you have an iPhone the Octo-Aid app is highly recommended and records the smart charging slots.

Reactions: KennethS
No, not really. as mentioned - make your life easy - set IO to 100% (or 80% or 90% - your choice) and then adjust your charge limits in the car only. IO will finish charging at the limit set in the car!

otherwise you will be in stupid situation when you will want to charge your car before long trip and you will forget to adjust one or another and then you will wake up with a surprise...

you will get notification "IO cannot control your car" once in a while but no biggie

Yeah, the problem yesterday was that IO was charging ABOVE the IO limit. So if I had set up 100% in the Tesla app the car would have charged all the way up, despite IO being at 50%.

I'm going to keep playing with it, but agree that "intelligent" is nothing but a marketing term.

I get a nasty note in the app if IO is set above the Tesla app, but perhaps that is only a note and no impact. I didn't try it.

At the end of the day, I just want ONE app to change up or down and haven't yet figured that out. The joys of technology not fully deployed as advertised! 😁

Yeah, the problem yesterday was that IO was charging ABOVE the IO limit. So if I had set up 100% in the Tesla app the car would have charged all the way up, despite IO being at 50%.

I'm going to keep playing with it, but agree that "intelligent" is nothing but a marketing term.

I get a nasty note in the app if IO is set above the Tesla app, but perhaps that is only a note and no impact. I didn't try it.

At the end of the day, I just want ONE app to change up or down and haven't yet figured that out. The joys of technology not fully deployed as advertised! 😁
It works perfectly well if you use it as I've described. I've been on the tariff for three years.

You can see history of allocated slots in your bill!

It provides you daily breakdown as well as indicates the load and prices for every 30 min slots!

Do as I wrote:

Set charge limit to 100% in octopus app and adjust charge desired SoC in Tesla app. Simples

Reactions: Royal27
Do as I wrote:

Set charge limit to 100% in octopus app and adjust charge desired SoC in Tesla app. Simples

That’s an anti pattern.

As before, set once and leave car at a >= expected charge limit and set nightly charge limit in IO. Just the one limit to set once it’s setup.

That is clearly how IO is designed to work and as stated in their FAQ.

Feel free to use the anti pattern but hopefully others will use the app limit in the way intended.

The video below, in Octopus IO official FAQ explains along with other bits.

1720111532314.jpeg

Last edited:
Do as I wrote:

If I can't get it to work as it should I will try that.

That’s an anti pattern.

As before, set once and leave car at a >= expected charge limit and set nightly charge limit in IO. Just the one limit to set once it’s setup.

That is clearly how IO is designed to work.

Feel free to use the anti pattern but hopefully others will use the app limit in the way intended.

Agree here, as long as the app works as intended, which it hasn't so far ... Will keep playing with it over next few days.

If I can't get it to work as it should I will try that.

Agree here, as long as the app works as intended, which it hasn't so far ... Will keep playing with it over next few days.
You say it hasn't worked, but other than it not stopping the charge promptly (a known irritation which prompted me to say turn off charging after plugging in) when you first plug in, it has hasn't it? You got a schedule and it was charging to the schedule.