Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Were you doing a software update by any chance?
I've noticed that every time I do, mid way, IO generates a schedule too.
Probably something in the Tesla update process or the several MCU restarts that must simulate that the car is being plugged in for a few seconds?
Nope, it was just sitting there - my wife's Peugeot was plugged in. I've seen it do this a couple of times - normally when I'm at home an not plugged in, but once I was miles away...

On the 6th of December I requested that Octopus align the ALCS setting in the 5 port meter with the IO tariff low rate. Ie make the night storage heaters come on in cheap rate 11:30 pm to 5:30 am instead of running on the economy 7 timing 12 am to 7 am.

It took them 2 and a half months to attempt this change and on Saturday they finally changed it. Now the storage heaters are on from 11:30 AM to 5:30 PM ie during the early afternoon.

Haha haha. Very funny Octopus. Try again. WIll it take another two and a half months.

Someone on this forum did give me the number of the meter team back in December so I could call them directly, which I will in future but since I had already emailled customer services I have been patiently waiting to see what the official channel does, not least so I can start a complaint and add my weight to other night storage heater users who need Octopus to be able to get it right. And of course I will insist they compensate me for all the periods when my heaters have run on peak rate since they have control of the ALCS switch and I dont.

Last edited:
Last question from me and then I think I’m sorted 😂

In octopus’s app it says ‘a schedule will be created when you plug your vehicle in’.

If I have the limit set in the car to not charge until 23:30 - does octopus know the vehicle is plugged in? Or do they require it to start and then stop charging on plug in?

Last question from me and then I think I’m sorted 😂

In octopus’s app it says ‘a schedule will be created when you plug your vehicle in’.

If I have the limit set in the car to not charge until 23:30 - does octopus know the vehicle is plugged in? Or do they require it to start and then stop charging on plug in?
They know when the car is plugged in. And they may start charging it before 23.30 if necessary. They will override the 23.30 schedule from you. But it'll be charged with the discounted rate.

Reactions: xreyuk
On the 6th of December I requested that Octopus align the ALCS setting in the 5 port meter with the IO tariff low rate. Ie make the night storage heaters come on in cheap rate 11:30 pm to 5:30 am instead of running on the economy 7 timing 12 am to 7 am
It likely the best option for Octopus would be excluding people with anything other than a simple smart meter going into Tariff like IO as it would not cost many lost customers.

They are supposed to but for whatever reason its rare for me to see them create a schedule before the car starts charging at 23:30 so don't know if Octopus is actually looking for the car to charge before it create this schedule in every case, when I have plugged in and had to stop the charge it seems to create the schedule faster.

They are supposed to but for whatever reason its rare for me to see them create a schedule before the car starts charging at 23:30 so don't know if Octopus is actually looking for the car to charge before it create this schedule in every case, when I have plugged in and had to stop the charge it seems to create the schedule faster.
How long have you been signed up?

When we were first switched a week or so ago we were not getting any schedules, the only way I could get one was by switching off and back on the scheduled charging in the OE app as recommended above. This was with the car being consistently plugged in at 09:00 and 18:00 after the school runs. We changed the car schedule to start charging at 23:30 because OE were not turning it off when plugged in and we were charging at peak rate.

We also found it would take sometimes more than a day to get "yesterday's" usage on the app. The combination of these factors caused us to lose confidence in the automated mechanism.

However, as time has progressed the schedules are coming on their own without intervention and the usage data is appearing sooner in the app. I don't know if this is a coincidence or something other people have noticed? This morning for example we plugged in at 09:00 and I can see now a schedule has started being created at midday.

When we were first switched a week or so ago we were not getting any schedules, the only way I could get one was by switching off and back on the scheduled charging in the OE app as recommended above. This was with the car being consistently plugged in at 09:00 and 18:00 after the school runs. We changed the car schedule to start charging at 23:30 because OE were not turning it off when plugged in and we were charging at peak rate.

We also found it would take sometimes more than a day to get "yesterday's" usage on the app. The combination of these factors caused us to lose confidence in the automated mechanism.

However, as time has progressed the schedules are coming on their own without intervention and the usage data is appearing sooner in the app. I don't know if this is a coincidence or something other people have noticed? This morning for example we plugged in at 09:00 and I can see now a schedule has started being created at midday.
Weeks, I presume they are improving it but I suspect that there are still bugs, like it gave me the schedule and stopped my charging when I plugged into a supercharger, so sometimes it works in weird ways!

I’ve found the same this week with regards to it not stopping charging.

I’m assuming you’ve still left the car scheduled for 23:30 but IO gives you schedules when you plug in?

If so, that seems the best way to run it

It likely the best option for Octopus would be excluding people with anything other than a simple smart meter going into Tariff like IO as it would not cost many lost customers.
Why not just do the job properly? 5 port smart meters are a natural extension of the old clock based 5 port meters. Theres nothing complicated about setting the ALCS remotely, they just need to get organised to actually do it. Since they are such software whizz kids they need to spend a little time setting up a working ALCS update routine. Also this is not about IO its about Octopus and 5 port meters. The same problem occurs for example on the standard flexible tariff with Economy 7 night rate. Octopus are equally bad at aligning the ALCS when the clocks change twice a year regardless of the tariff.

Why not just do the job properly? 5 port smart meters are a natural extension of the old clock based 5 port meters. Theres nothing complicated about setting the ALCS remotely, they just need to get organised to actually do it. Since they are such software whizz kids they need to spend a little time setting up a working ALCS update routine. Also this is not about IO its about Octopus and 5 port meters. The same problem occurs for example on the standard flexible tariff with Economy 7 night rate. Octopus are equally bad at aligning the ALCS when the clocks change twice a year regardless of the tariff.

Or they spend their limited programming resources on something that effects more people. Afterall you can just fit your own timer.

Reactions: WarekiwiT
I don't think this is answered elsewhere.
If the Schedule from Octopus is outside of the 11:30-530am times e.g. 10pm-1030pm - will the rest of the non-EV charging energy for the house be charged at the normal rate or the cheap rate? Octopus tells me it will be at the normal (expensive rate) but I wanted to double check

If the Schedule from Octopus is outside of the 11:30-530am times e.g. 10pm-1030pm - will the rest of the non-EV charging energy for the house be charged at the normal rate or the cheap rate? Octopus tells me it will be at the normal (expensive rate) but I wanted to double check
from the op:
1677678490279.png

Reactions: wolf123
It has been answered many times in this thread & yes it's the off-peak rate for any additional IO slots, covering everything not just the car.

Reactions: tdjohn and wolf123
Meant to ask, if I set the car schedule to not start until 23:30, but octopus don't give me a window till say 01:00, the car obviously starts charging at 23:30. Will Octopus stop this and if not, it's not breaking any of their terms is it?

Meant to ask, if I set the car schedule to not start until 23:30, but octopus don't give me a window till say 01:00, the car obviously starts charging at 23:30. Will Octopus stop this and if not, it's not breaking any of their terms is it?
Octopus will eventually stop it but it's not as quick as it used to be since they made their API polling changes to stop the phantom drain problem they had.

It's not breaking any terms, but the reason I don't like this approach is that you are getting a charging hump on the grid at a time IO hasn't necessarily deemed to be low carbon/efficient. So it kind of negates the "Intelligent" part of intelligent.

That's why I prefer to plug in, stop the charge and allow a proper schedule to run as per the ethos of the tariff.

Reactions: ringi
Hi, is anyone else having issues with setting up the test charge using the android version of the app? I'm using 3.54.1 and I'm getting the 'uh oh' error message when its trying to connect to the Tesla account. Octopus support have raised a ticket. Also the T3 often reports its GPS location as being one of my neighbour's (due to the location of the detached garage), so I'm assuming that's going to be an issue unless someone else has a similar issue. TiA 😊
As an update, an update for the Android app was updated last night and it solved my issue of adding my account. Also the 'test' seems to have changed, for the better, it's now only 7 minutes ☺️.

Reactions: ringi
Hi, I’ve had a quick look through this thread but not read every page, looking to switch from go to IO, but have a question I can’t see anywhere.

With Go I just plug in most days and car charges with podpoint only allowing charge between 12:30-4:30, with IO if I plug in with say 10% on car, the 6hr window will only Take me to about 70% will IO just keep on charging until I reach my 100% limit (LFP) and then charge peak for the extra 30%?

I appreciate if I only need to top up and IO charges outside the off peak then I will get the off peak rate, but what if in the example above the car needs more Kw than can be put in on a 6hr window?
To stop this would I each time I plug in have to limit the charge % to say 60% above the cars current state of charge so I’m not asking for too many Kw in a charging session????

@Radders - No it doesn't work like that. The whole principle of IO is to get you to the SOC you desire and by the time you ask it.
  1. IO permanently gives us 6 hours at the off-peak rate
  2. Any scheduled slots that fall either side of that are also at the off-peak rate
  3. Everything else is at peak rate.
  4. If the schedule changes dynamically overnight then any slots outside of the guaranteed 6 hours will either revert to peak or move to off-peak accordingly.
  5. Everything the house smart meter records during all these IO slots are also at the same off-peak rate, regardless of whether it's car, cars, battery charging, household appliances etc.
...So, 6 hours fixed period plus all variable IO slots are at the off-peak rate for anything used, everything else is peak.

Reactions: Skie