Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
The PodPoint app should still tell you how much has gone into the car even if you don’t use a schedule. I also receive a monthly email with the daily charging quantities.
Thank you for that. But the car charged over night and nothing showing in App. It just says no charge history. Where as before when I unplugged car the kWh amount was there. I will see what happens in the future.

Keep getting told the tariff isn't fit for purpose by some posters, so if that's the case and the user can move to Go without penalty. Why should that customer
a) keep having to put up with the agony and injustice of the one or two quirks of the current tariff, easily worked around?
and
b) keep having Octopus subsidise them for their intransigence and sense of entitlement of having a product they want to treat as "6 hours of Go" but isn't?
Some posters would like the moon on a stick and a pot of dipping sherbert.

I was simply pointing out that there’s a penalty.

I switched to this yesterday - when I plug the car in it starts to charge straight away, is there a time delay before it'll stop that charge and then continue once it hits the correct time?
Yes, IO only polls roughly every 30 minutes until it sees you connected.

Most of us just manually stop the charge on the screen or app when plugging in.

If you don’t want to do that, set the Tesla schedule to start at 23:30 and it won’t charge when plugged in. IO will still be able to start the charge earlier if it gives you a window.

Personally, cause I use chargers on the road a lot, I just manually stop the charge instead of messing about with schedules.

Reactions: a1psx
Yes, IO only polls roughly every 30 minutes until it sees you connected.

Most of us just manually stop the charge on the screen or app when plugging in.

If you don’t want to do that, set the Tesla schedule to start at 23:30 and it won’t charge when plugged in. IO will still be able to start the charge earlier if it gives you a window.

Personally, cause I use chargers on the road a lot, I just manually stop the charge instead of messing about with schedules.
Charge schedules I believe are location specific so you can just set 2330 at your home location, and that won’t affect charging when you’re on the road.

Applying the 2330 trick also reliably stops the car charging after setting preconditioning subsequently to a manual “stop charging”.

Reactions: Pete UK and a1psx
Just noticed in my online account that the agreed renewal of IO to fixed has disappeared, despite email from 28th Feb confirming.

Also, that the new renewal rates for IO have been upped, in my East of England case:

44.35 → 45.03 p/kWh
10.00 p off-peak unchanged
37.38 → 42.01 p/day

Leaves me wondering what will happen when current IO fixed tariff expires on 8th April…

Just noticed in my online account that the agreed renewal of IO to fixed has disappeared, despite email from 28th Feb confirming.

Also, that the new renewal rates for IO have been upped, in my East of England case:

44.35 → 45.03 p/kWh
10.00 p off-peak unchanged
37.38 → 42.01 p/day

Leaves me wondering what will happen when current IO fixed tariff expires on 8th April…
I’m not following.

IO is a variable tariff now, not a fixed tariff. How did you renew to a fix?

The ALCS works off GMT, so if you are on IO, and want 6 hours, they have to reset it every 6 months.

I was on GO, and I've decided to let the ALCS give me 4 hours, without any resetting so I always get 4 hours at the reduced tariff on my immersion, but when the sun is out like today, I've taken in NO grid power for 36 hours now (and not given them any either of the 54.47kWh I generated today).:D
I can see it works off GMT. The question is Why does it work off GMT. I mean that makes no sense. It is then wrong twice a year against all of Octopus tariffs which are not fixed to GMT. OK having a GMT locked switchover period does make it behave the same as the old local mechanical clock switches, but surely the software has not provided only GMT locked ALCS? And if it does then why would IO select it as a 5 port switch that they fit! I cant believe that all the 5 port smart meters in production have the ALCS schedule locked to GMT only.

It makes sense - Most devices use GMT internally (well, UTC, GMT is technically a timezone), the time shifting is a human thing.

There's normally some kind of offset for display purposes, but if you want to sync up lots of devices it makes no sense to have that messed up by which part of the world/what day of the week it is.

The world would be a lot simpler if we could just agree to stop changing the clocks around..

I can see it works off GMT. The question is Why does it work off GMT. I mean that makes no sense. It is then wrong twice a year against all of Octopus tariffs which are not fixed to GMT. OK having a GMT locked switchover period does make it behave the same as the old local mechanical clock switches, but surely the software has not provided only GMT locked ALCS? And if it does then why would IO select it as a 5 port switch that they fit! I cant believe that all the 5 port smart meters in production have the ALCS schedule locked to GMT only.
E7 was available long before GO and IO; we used it 30 years ago and that was locked to GMT. It's octopus that have decided not to use GMT.

If you don't like it, just fit a contactor and time clock. The solution is very easy and simple.

Yes this happens to me often too and recently when using a charger outside of the home it stopped the charge and creates a schedule at lunchtime, based on these ongoing issues it will be turned off!
I'm still having on going issues with charging and I've been trying to pin down exactly what is wrong. Unfortunately there are a lot of potential variables. I thought initially that it was only charging on the first time slot, but last night I didn't get any charge at all.

I'm still having on going issues with charging and I've been trying to pin down exactly what is wrong. Unfortunately there are a lot of potential variables. I thought initially that it was only charging on the first time slot, but last night I didn't get any charge at all.
Had issues last night, trying to work out if it's IO turning the car charging off, or the car itself playing up. Started charging at 22:30 (nice, extra slot or two) but it turned off at 00:56, where it should have gone all the way through to 08:30 according to slots reported in the Octopus app. I woke in the early hours and noticed it wasn't charging and kicked it off again, but it stopped 15 minutes later, leaving me short in the morning...

If you want to rule out a few things, I would recommend turning off the delay charging until 11.30 in the car, plug the car in and let it charge until the IO app stops the charge, once it does this there should be a charging schedule setup and you can see if it works from there.

In my experience the main symptom of not charging over night is when you delayed charge turned off in the car and then when you plug the car in you manually turn the charge off and the car sleeps without IO setting a charge schedule. Octopus could easily solve this by waking the car up at a certain time to ensure schedules are set, maybe they have updated I don't know but the other week I didn't get a charge at all until I woke them car up at 7am which it then gave me a schedule bizarelly!

Had issues last night, trying to work out if it's IO turning the car charging off, or the car itself playing up. Started charging at 22:30 (nice, extra slot or two) but it turned off at 00:56, where it should have gone all the way through to 08:30 according to slots reported in the Octopus app. I woke in the early hours and noticed it wasn't charging and kicked it off again, but it stopped 15 minutes later, leaving me short in the morning...
This sounds like how it would act if the charge rate in the app was lower than you wanted, I presume you had it set correctly