Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure for the EV charging you’re doing that you really need those extra 2 hours overnight, or that you’ll often get charging schedules outside of off-peak. Possibly Octopus Go might be sufficient combined with Tesla scheduled departure’s off-peak charging. The wider IO 6-hours window is helpful for starting timed energy consumers running overnight though.

I think setting up HomeAssistant with Givenergy and Octopus could be a steep learning curve as there's no complete integration available.

There's a custom HACS integration for local access to Givenergy, that may be able to provide you with the current state of the batteries:

Using the data from this integration you may be able to create helpers and sensors within HomeAssistant that can then be used for automations that interact with another custom integration for Octopus:

I'm not certain that the charging slots are published to the API/are available in the integration, but you can obtain the lowest rates for a 24 hour period.

Quite a few moving parts and you'll probably need to write some scripts. I don't have home batteries so no personal experience of this.

Hi,

1) I am new to home assistant, I am not a programmer either. I set up home assistant on an old raspberry pi in a docker container. I have then set up an integration for my lux inverter, and a couple for octopus. In essence when octopus says that there is an off peak slot, the inverter stops supplying the house with energy and charges itself. This can be constrained in various other ways to take into account solar production.

2) I plug the car in and press stop charging in the car or Tesla app. I have not had any problems with octopus charging the car.

I think setting up HomeAssistant with Givenergy and Octopus could be a steep learning curve as there's no complete integration available.

There's a custom HACS integration for local access to Givenergy, that may be able to provide you with the current state of the batteries:

Using the data from this integration you may be able to create helpers and sensors within HomeAssistant that can then be used for automations that interact with another custom integration for Octopus:

I'm not certain that the charging slots are published to the API/are available in the integration, but you can obtain the lowest rates for a 24 hour period.

Quite a few moving parts and you'll probably need to write some scripts. I don't have home batteries so no personal experience of this.
Sorry I missed this,

Check out This integration for octopus intelligent

There is also an integration for lux inverter

• Informative
Reactions: Medved_77
Installed the Octopus Intelligent integration into HACS. For anyone trying to find this, looks like it hasn't been submitted to HACS so you won't be able to find it by searching, you'll need to add a custom repository instead.

Nice to see the charging slots, haven't got data there yet but will see what it looks like when I plugin the car.

I should now be able to create an automation that turns my podpoint charger on only during the off peak period or during an assigned slot. This is great because there'll be no need to stop the charge in the Tesla app after plugging in as the charge point won't be powered nor delay the charge start time in the Tesla app, whilst still using the plan as intended.

It should also provide a fallback to ensure that at least the 11.30pm-5.30am period is covered, even if Octopus are experiencing issues with their service or accessing the Tesla API.

Thanks again, @Bacon!

Automation setup:

1682947094347.png

Last edited:
Installed the Octopus Intelligent integration into HACS. For anyone trying to find this, looks like it hasn't been submitted to HACS so you won't be able to find it by searching, you'll need to add a custom repository instead.

Nice to see the charging slots, haven't got data there yet but will see what it looks like when I plugin the car.

I should now be able to create an automation that turns my podpoint charger on only during the off peak period or during an assigned slot. This is great because there'll be no need to stop the charge in the Tesla app after plugging in as the charge point won't be powered nor delay the charge start time in the Tesla app, whilst still using the plan as intended.

It should also provide a fallback to ensure that at least the 11.30pm-5.30am period is covered, even if Octopus are experiencing issues with their service or accessing the Tesla API.

Thanks again, @Bacon!

Automation setup:

View attachment 933474
When integrated my podpoint with octopus intelligent I found the delay to activate the charger meant that the car didn't follow the intelligent schedules.

It just used the 6 hour slot. If you sort it, please let me know.

Reactions: Medved_77
2) What works best? setting a 23:30 off peak start time or an 05:30 off peak end time in the app/Tesla? And does this become unnecessary when integrated with Home Assistant or similar?

Thanks in advance and yay! to the off peak price drop 👍🏻
Possibly far too simple for what you are looking for but all I have done is set my inverters to block discharge from the house batteries between 23.30-05.30 so car charging has no impact & set the IO off peak end time to 05.30.

This results in any dynamic changes made to slots offered to be either within the low rate six hours or at an earlier point in the evening where I can manually add a further temporary block discharge period. In reality, after using IO for 15 months I have only needed to do this a couple of times because usually IO schedules charging within the standard six hours and on the one occasion I didn't do it, the car drained one set of my house batteries by 2.2kW in a late evening half hour slot which was no big deal (it's a 3.6kWh inverter so the 8kWh draw took the remainder from the batteries).

I also have one of my inverters and 9.6kW battery storage downstream of the house consumer unit and this is unaffected by car charging anyway so maybe the simplest solution is to ensure your new installation is configured similarly. Set block discharge 23.30-05.30 on the inverters so they can charge during that period from IO if necessary but never discharge. During the Winter these batteries mostly charge from IO but currently & through to late Autumn they charge from solar and only require occasional top-ups at night, if any.

Home Assistant seemed far too complex for me to attempt so I have adapted the simplest option requiring the least input. Not perfect but it works very well for me.

Reactions: Pete UK
Sorry I missed this,

Check out This integration for octopus intelligent

There is also an integration for lux inverter

Yes this was the one that I was looking at.
Looks great. In theory anyway. It’s been around for quite a while.

I’ve got an old Mac-mini that’s sitting around the house plugged in doing nothing, so was going to set it all up on that. But….
It just looks like home assistant is a right pain in the what sit to;
a) set up a VM in a partition (or a docker or whatever), of which I have no experience
b) set up all the other stuff associated with it. And then will it continuously work? or will it mess up or need updating. Hence asking the original question.

HA looks great and all but kind of off-putting to install and set up.

I guess I’ll just have to force myself to try and do it 😂

Hi,

1) I am new to home assistant, I am not a programmer either. I set up home assistant on an old raspberry pi in a docker container. I have then set up an integration for my lux inverter, and a couple for octopus. In essence when octopus says that there is an off peak slot, the inverter stops supplying the house with energy and charges itself. This can be constrained in various other ways to take into account solar production.

2) I plug the car in and press stop charging in the car or Tesla app. I have not had any problems with octopus charging the car.

Was this easy enough to do? And worked without running into too many hurdles?

Thanks?

Possibly far too simple for what you are looking for but all I have done is set my inverters to block discharge from the house batteries between 23.30-05.30 so car charging has no impact & set the IO off peak end time to 05.30.

This results in any dynamic changes made to slots offered to be either within the low rate six hours or at an earlier point in the evening where I can manually add a further temporary block discharge period. In reality, after using IO for 15 months I have only needed to do this a couple of times because usually IO schedules charging within the standard six hours and on the one occasion I didn't do it, the car drained one set of my house batteries by 2.2kW in a late evening half hour slot which was no big deal (it's a 3.6kWh inverter so the 8kWh draw took the remainder from the batteries).

I also have one of my inverters and 9.6kW battery storage downstream of the house consumer unit and this is unaffected by car charging anyway so maybe the simplest solution is to ensure your new installation is configured similarly. Set block discharge 23.30-05.30 on the inverters so they can charge during that period from IO if necessary but never discharge. During the Winter these batteries mostly charge from IO but currently & through to late Autumn they charge from solar and only require occasional top-ups at night, if any.

Home Assistant seemed far too complex for me to attempt so I have adapted the simplest option requiring the least input. Not perfect but it works very well for me.

This is a close number 2 option for me rather than messing about and installing HA.

So, setting the end time to 0530, would hardly produce any extra slots earlier than 2330 (in your experience). Worst case it might dump the batteries into the car earlier. But they may already be close to/ or empty before that in the winter, or possibly spring so not ideal.

Thanks for the inputs gents 👍🏻

Worst case it might dump the batteries into the car earlier. But they may already be close to/ or empty before that in the winter, or possibly spring so not ideal.
Not really an issue because In winter (early spring/late autumn) I use IO to re-fill or top up the house batteries with low rate electricity anyway and that would happen soon after any extra pre 23.30 slot depleted them slightly.

i really struggle to understand Octopus sometimes... other than their inability to fix my smart meters...

I always kept 100% in the Octopus app and adjusted car charge level only. Now it started to display that "your car charge level lower than in app".
OK, it is. So I said, let's try again: 90% on the app, 80% on the car. After full night charge: SOC is 77%

I mean, the main reason I use to have 100% in the Octopus app is that it is the only way to get desired SOC what I set in the car... I wonder if Octopus will ever sort this out :/

Reactions: Cnixon
Not really an issue because In winter (early spring/late autumn) I use IO to re-fill or top up the house batteries with low rate electricity anyway and that would happen soon after any extra pre 23.30 slot depleted them slightly.
just a question regarding this:

I am planning to have my solar + batteries to sit after consuming unit and my car charger is before - so in essence my batteries/inverter should not see the charger. If I need to charge anything during the day with the sun I am planning to install commado socket and to use UMC with commando adapter to trickle at 3.7 kw (16 A).

Is this similar to what you have set up for one of your inverters with 9.6 kwh batteries?

Was this easy enough to do? And worked without running into too many hurdles?

Thanks?
For me it was easy enough.

I wanted to install both home assistant and teslamate on the raspberry pi. So I chose the docker container. I hadn't realised there are 2 versions of home assistant core and supervisor.

With core it needs more effort to get custom Integrations going, but is very feasible after watching youtube.

I have little experience of apples, but the home assistant community feels very helpful and open.

i really struggle to understand Octopus sometimes... other than their inability to fix my smart meters...

I always kept 100% in the Octopus app and adjusted car charge level only. Now it started to display that "your car charge level lower than in app".
OK, it is. So I said, let's try again: 90% on the app, 80% on the car. After full night charge: SOC is 77%

I mean, the main reason I use to have 100% in the Octopus app is that it is the only way to get desired SOC what I set in the car... I wonder if Octopus will ever sort this out :/
Me too..I am getting that warning now. If car is set equal or higher than IO app limit it then draws power intermittently during peak rate to keep trying to get to the car set limit. IO tries to shut down but this continual 'sipping' costs as much as my official planned charge during the night (for info I am using the umc granny charger with 32A commando plug)

just wondering why you have different levels for charging in app and car? I've always just done it in the app and it works fine. 100% in car and whatever in the app. It always just charges to the app level.