Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two Zappi chargers - and I tried to link it last night. Because I have two chargers linked to my account octopus wouldn’t let me proceed.

Here’s how I handle it, and will continue to do so:
I have 2 x Model Y, both on same tesla account and octopus app now allows to “choose” which car to link up. Octopus control the charging for this car.
For the second car, I used ev.energy to have the car only charge during “off peak” hours - and that handles that.

Second car does less miles - so all my charging is at 7.5p.
Does the Zappi not use the OCPP protocol to communicate with IO?

I also have a Zappi but on signup it wasn't on the list but Wallbox was which I also have hence chose that but I had to copy and paste the OCPP parameters into the Wallbox OCPP settings.

My settings are charge to 100% and ready by 7am. I onboarded using the model Y and this gives loads of slots throughout the day as cars plug in at different times.

Does the Zappi not use the OCPP protocol to communicate with IO?

I also have a Zappi but on signup it wasn't on the list but Wallbox was which I also have hence chose that but I had to copy and paste the OCPP parameters into the Wallbox OCPP settings.

My settings are charge to 100% and ready by 7am. I onboarded using the model Y and this gives loads of slots throughout the day as cars plug in at different times.
Please don’t abuse the tariff by leaving it on 100% when you don’t need that much charge.

Please don’t abuse the tariff by leaving it on 100% when you don’t need that much charge.

I have 5 cars that will/might plug into the charger at different times of the day. My model Y is set 80% in the car, The model 3 (LFP) is set to 100%, My daughters 38kw ionic is set to 100% (heavy user), my sons 38kw ionic is set to 80% (light user) and then there is the Leaf which is a spare for the moment and that is set to 80% .

What would you suggest?

I have 5 cars that will/might plug into the charger at different times of the day. My model Y is set 80% in the car, The model 3 (LFP) is set to 100%, My daughters 38kw ionic is set to 100% (heavy user), my sons 38kw ionic is set to 80% (light user) and then there is the Leaf which is a spare for the moment and that is set to 80% .

What would you suggest?
you need less cars? ;)

And that’s charging 60%, not 100%. I’m not sure what your point is?
The idea was you explain what you meant first???
I did say I was confused.
@Js1977 said "My settings are charge to 100% and ready by 7am"
So he said charging TO 100% not charging 100% .We have no idea what his typical state of charge is when he plugs in or how often he does it? he might be on 60% and thus is charging 40% of his battery. or he might be on 10% but charge to 100% cos he needs 90% of his battery every day.
but whether he is on 40% or 10% when he plugs in I don't see how charging to 100% is "abusing the tariff"
your turn?

So he said charging TO 100% not charging 100% .We have no idea what his typical state of charge is when he plugs in or how often he does it? he might be on 60% and thus is charging 40% of his battery. or he might be on 10% but charge to 100% cos he needs 90% of his battery every day.
but whether he is on 40% or 10% when he plugs in I don't see how charging to 100% is "abusing the tariff"
your turn?

Well. He agrees with someones joke abut me having less cars and assumes I game the tarif when I specify on the app to charge to 100% by 7am, when I clearly set the the model Y to stop at 80%... This is how I see it 🤔 .... However does not answer my question or retract the assumption when I have other cars in the house that also charge to 100%... Bit of a hit and run🤣

your turn?
Using the Zappi integration, the setting is “amount to charge” rather than “target SoC.” Therefore, you need to set how much % you want to charge, rather than target SoC. Leaving the setting on 100% will tell IO you want to charge the full battery every night, ie. 75kWh, so it will create a charge schedule to charge 75kWh, rather than what the user actually needs, which is likely to be far less than this.

Oh no! I cannot get my car registered to IO after having some issues (and stupidly removing and trying to reconnect it again).

View attachment 990343
I did exactly the same thing. Tried and tried and got that message, complained to customer services then suddenly it did it. Not sure if the 2 are linked but I doubt it. But then I had to reconnect again (I realised I had specified the wrong power charger) and it reconnected instantly. I wonder if it was having a bit of a glitch. That was on Monday last week too...

What is the most anyone has ever won on the Octopus "wheel of fortune"
I ask cos I won 800 points yesterday ( equivalent to £8 ) So now I am nearly half way to my savings goal for a new set of windscreen wipers 🥳
just out of interest I wondered if anyone has had a bigger win?

My app still says they are "running the numbers". I'm not expecting much (if anything) because I couldn't reduce usage as I was still WFH at the time of the session. But what numbers can they be running that take days? Surely it's a simple automated calculation of MyPreviousAverage - WhatIUsedThatHour?

Reactions: Jason71
It is literally that, but last last time they wouldn’t publish figures until all accounts are done, including those where the meter has been unable to report overnight for a couple of days.

Amusing to contrast with my own SMETS2 meter/comms which has sat in the naughty corner since 15th and not talked to anyone.

My app still says they are "running the numbers". I'm not expecting much (if anything) because I couldn't reduce usage as I was still WFH at the time of the session. But what numbers can they be running that take days? Surely it's a simple automated calculation of MyPreviousAverage - WhatIUsedThatHour?
Most WFH activities are not particularly power hungry. Just out of interest what do you do working from home that uses that much power that could be saved if you weren't working? Artisanal glass blowing? Snake breeder? Cannabis Farmer?

• Funny
Reactions: phil4
Most WFH activities are not particularly power hungry. Just out of interest what do you do working from home that uses that much power that could be saved if you weren't working? Artisanal glass blowing? Snake breeder? Cannabis Farmer?
Well, there are two of us working from home, with very beefy PC setups & 4 screens each. My base draw during the day is usually around 7-900w. We wouldn't save much in the overall scheme of things by shutting them off for an hour, but my point was more about why it can possibly take Octopus so long to calculate the numbers.

I suppose it's making sure they actually get the required metering data and run the calculations for hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of accounts.
I'd imagine there's a lot of number crunching to be done.

I would also imagine that the whole system is a mess of legacy and complicated government-required subsystems and none of it "just works".

My apps still says the same. Also work from home and have 2 kids. My usage is less the 1kwh at that time any, but I went to the trouble of running off laptop batteries and used tablets instead of TV for the kids and turning off lights, just to see how low I could get it. I'm expected a few pence, but we will see. It's the standing charge that needs reducing so that those who actually don't use much electrics anyway aren't "punished"