Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea if it’s related but I had my first failed IO charge on Friday night after almost a year of no issues. I was given the schedule as normal and the charging started ahead of the Tesla schedule at 23.00 and then stopped at 01.30 but didn’t start again until 06.30 and lasted an hour and a half. It managed to get me to 42% rather than the target 90%. Thankfully I didn’t need the charge until today and I got a new schedule last night & charging started at 23.30 (assume Tesla rather than IO) and then ran continually until 90% at 06.00.

I plugged my Tesla M3 in yesterday and got a charging schedule 11:00pm - 03:00 am, 03:30 - 04:00 am and 04:30 - 05:00 am but this morning I had a notification from my Tesla saying the charging had completed at 07:13. Does this mean I will be charged the high rate for the hours 05:00 to 07:15?

I plugged my Tesla M3 in yesterday and got a charging schedule 11:00pm - 03:00 am, 03:30 - 04:00 am and 04:30 - 05:00 am but this morning I had a notification from my Tesla saying the charging had completed at 07:13. Does this mean I will be charged the high rate for the hours 05:00 to 07:15?
The dynamic charging schedule is not fixed, it's dynamic, so it could have changed overnight.

If it did then it would be off peak, they don't bump you onto peak rate without you doing it

I spoke to the techies @ Octopus about this amongst other things and this is what they said@

I asked:
"...If I get an off peak period of say: 2200 - 0830 but the car becomes fully charged at 0630, do I still get off peak rates for the rest of the house for the remaining 2 hours, (provided I leave the car plugged in)?..."
They replied:
"...If the car becomes fully charged at 0630 during an off-peak period, you will still get off-peak rates for the rest of the house for the remaining 2 hours, the car does not need to be plugged in...."

Reactions: goRt
In your case, once they have advertised their schedule in the IOApp, that's it; tht is what they will offer you, If you charge outside that schedule, you'll be charged ON peak rates. That is my understanding. You'll soon know in the statement!

Here are some other Q's I asked them:

Q - If the car starts charging as soon as I plug in - but there is *no schedule* on the IOApp - does this mean I am paying 'on peak' prices?
A - If there is no schedule on the IO App, it means that the car will start charging immediately. However, this does not necessarily mean you are paying 'on peak' prices. When you plug your car we will create a schedule for your vehicle charging, which will find multiple points in the off peak timings to start and stop charging your car. If you plug in before 5pm we will still create a schedule for the off-peak hours, but if you unplug the car the schedule will be removed. Once you plug it in again, we will remake the schedule.

Q - I hear that only very recently, Octopus prevented a 2nd EV from benefitting from the off peak periods.
If I plugged in the first (registered) EV - would it benefit from the scheduled periods (during the allocated 6 hours overnight plus any additional hours shown on a schedule) in accordance with the terms and conditions - BUT if I then plugged in the 2nd EV in, on another night, would this vehicle only benefit from the standard 6 hour off peak window? [Or would IO not recognise this 2nd vehicle and not charge it]?
A - Each registered EV will benefit from the scheduled periods according to the terms and conditions. If you plug in the first registered EV, it will follow the allocated 6-hour overnight off-peak window and any additional hours shown on the schedule. If you plug in the second EV on another night, it will also benefit from the off-peak window, but it may not have the same schedule as the first EV.

Q = Further to the above, If I registered the "charger" rather than the car, would IO care what car was plugged in?
A = If you register the "charger" instead of the car, IO does not care what car is plugged in. The charging will follow the schedule and pricing based on the registered charger.

Q - If Tesla removes access to its API, what happens then?
A = If Tesla removes access to its API, it may affect the functionality of the IOApp. However, we are constantly working to ensure compatibility with different EVs, so we will explore alternative solutions if needed.

Have you ever used something like ev energy or similar apps, even if it was years ago?

Normally I would suggest resetting your Tesla password and re-authenticating the Octopus app against that. Problem is at the moment Tesla seem to be rolling out the Fleet API and it's breaking third party apps who disconnect from their old systems. Hence people going back through onboarding and not being able to get back on.
HI @browellm no never added anything like that. just reading through the recent posts regarding virtual key access, we never had this when setting up, feels more and more like I need to do another removal reset and add back in.

"...If the car becomes fully charged at 0630 during an off-peak period, you will still get off-peak rates for the rest of the house for the remaining 2 hours, the car does not need to be plugged in...."

If you plug in before 5pm we will still create a schedule for the off-peak hours, but if you unplug the car the schedule will be removed. Once you plug it in again, we will remake the schedule.

That seems as clear was mud to me 🤷‍♂️

In your case, once they have advertised their schedule in the IOApp, that's it; tht is what they will offer you, If you charge outside that schedule, you'll be charged ON peak rates. That is my understanding. You'll soon know in the statement!
I did not charge outside the schedule that was in the octopus app. They started the charge but did not manage to stop it so the car carried on charging after the schedule had ended.

I have contacted Octopus and have sent screen shots of schedule and the notification of finishing after the schedule said it should have finished. I will update when/if they get back to me…

>Will Octopus realign the ALCS on a 5 port meter when the clocks change and the tariff moves with the clocks?<

You have to prompt them; there are not very many of us in this situation, so it seems they don't mind doing it manually.
My debate with Octopus about aligning my ALCS with the tariff when the clocks change is ongoing but seems to be drawing to an end. After the Spring change it took them 5 months to correct it (after 4 wrong attempts), and then it promptly went misaligned again with the Autumn change. Since then they made one attempted correction which was wrong. After escalating a complaint I have finally been told after 13 months that they cannot do this. I guess that while the capability was put into the SMETS2 meters, the software layers that implement the commands are just too unwieldy for the suppliers to simply adjust the ALCS and know what the result will be, at least in my meter. I will get them to restore it to GMT tariff timing and just leave it there. Since the switching will lag the clock in the summertime any night storage charging will usually be finished by the time the tariff changes back at 4:30am GMT.

My last discussion with them is whether they can create a tariff that also stays on GMT for people like me. Then the tariff and ALCS would stay aligned. Not holding my breath though. Eventually they will get to linking night storage heaters into a smart overnight tariff. I really need to replace mine with more modern ones, but I am reluctant to pay for an upgrade while there may be a new management protocl coming over the horizon.

I will also chase them for the overcharges caused by the ALCS timing misalignment, but again the terms for IO do say its an experimental product and that there is no liability for programming errors, so despite the fact that they have been negligent in responding so slowly to each email, I'm not betting on success.

Last edited:
Octopus added back the Tesla EV option to the IOG onboarding after 14:00 but before 16:40 yesterday and I was able to reconnect mine and observe the start/stop charge commands being issued and acted upon by the legacy S/X platform, skipping the Virtual Key step.

They haven’t revised the IOG FAQs status section yet.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, and this is not confined to Octopus CS, the people working those positions frequently do not understand their beta tariffs. IO is a particularly complex one (hence the original post). You could make the call seven times and get seven different answers :( . Anyway, it wasn't correct

Reactions: Yuff