Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. I’ve used the Nabiac charger once and while it was a bit slower than a Supercharger I didn’t think it was that bad. And way better than a gap in the network if that’s the alternative.

Ive posted a pic before. If I arrive with 5% battery at a supercharger its a 30min stop. If I do that at a 50kw charger its a 80-90min stop.

If you do i.e. a 1100km journey it really eats into your travel time. I.e. I used to do those 1100 km in I think 10:30h driving and then 3h charging. And thats all dual lane roads - so average speed is relatively low and consumption low too. On a motorway/dual carriageway the problem would be even more exacerbated.

Last edited:
A little?..
You need 60-70 full size panels and the sun shining to produce 25kW

more like 20. dont be ridiculous here.

I stayed at this house with 2 arrays on either side of the roof. It was raining and 10 in the morning with cloudy skies and those produced 10kw. there is always a "but". I dont think 75kw is a significant difference to grid stress compared to 50 kw in the first place but if that is the answer you are looking for then maybe we need to put a proper roof on top of the charging station with solar panels....

Im sure the 60 panels makes sense in europe but if there is one thing we have too much of here its sunshine.

Ive posted a pic before. If I arrive with 5% battery at a supercharger its a 30min stop. If I do that at a 50kw charger its a 80-90min stop.

If you do i.e. a 1100km journey it really eats into your travel time. I.e. I used to do those 1100 km in I think 10:30h driving and then 3h charging. And thats all dual lane roads - so average speed is relatively low and consumption low too. On a motorway/dual carriageway the problem would be even more exacerbated.

And if a second person arrives 10 minutes after you do, there's a 2.5 hour wait before they can go. And if the Nabiac charger is broken for weeks at a time (like it has been before), you could be hunting for an AC power point to make it a many hour or overnight stop.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
And if a second person arrives 10 minutes after you do, there's a 2.5 hour wait before they can go. And if the Nabiac charger is broken for weeks at a time (like it has been before), you could be hunting for an AC power point to make it a many hour or overnight stop.
Luckily there are high capacity chargers at Taree and Karuah now, but prior to their commisioning there wa only the Nabiac NRMA stall between Heatherbrae and Port Macquarie. Too bad for non-Tesla's.

Reactions: OzVic
ARENA has just published a video/webinar regarding learnings from their Chargefox and Evie ultra-fast charging networks. Fairly long but some interesting items. Covers things like the build cost, operational cost, usage patterns, etc.

Initial presentation is from Energia (who compiled and analysed data on both the ultra-rapid charging station construction and usage) and is followed by a Q&A/panel discussion with Evan Beaver from Chargefox and Bernhard Conoplia from Evie. Evan used to work at Tesla so there are a few examples he uses from building the Tesla supercharger network as well.

Still better than if it hadn’t been built at all if 75 kW wasn’t possible there when it was built. Because a station that is not built provides 0 kW.

I’d also rather two 50 kW stations be put somewhere rather than one 75 kW If it had to be a choice.

Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t recall ever getting more than 75 kW out of a Supercharger and it tapers down rapidly from there. So it ends up not very different to a 50 kW one. I have got 130 kW out of a Chargefox though, at Karuah.

I’d also rather two 50 kW stations be put somewhere rather than one 75 kW If it had to be a choice.
I believe the Tritium 75kw's are dual cable and dual use though. Only caveat being is if both cables are being used the power is split.

Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t recall ever getting more than 75 kW out of a Supercharger and it tapers down rapidly from there.
I've had 130kw several times at Heatherbrae, Central Coast, Port Mac and Coffs.

I have to agree with Candleflame here. I don't think those living in SEQ, NSW and Vic understand just how long and painful driving the Bruce highway in regional QLD is. It is LONG. Cairns to Brisbane is almost the same as Melbourne to Brisbane. Due to 50kW chargers (42kW at best and 33kW at worst) this trip takes far longer in an EV than the Melbourne to Brisbane trip due to the Supercharger, Chargefox and Evie networks. This makes for a very frustrating experience. I know this because I've experienced both. A 50kW highway feels like snails pace compared to Superchargers and above. The public ask about range in an EV which is no longer an issue, IF there are fast chargers.

See comparison on ABRP Cairns to Brisbane vs Melbourne to Brisbane, considering Melbourne to Brisbane is about 80km longer too.

Cairns to Brisbane.PNGMelbourne to Brisbane.PNG

I have to agree with Candleflame here. I don't think those living in SEQ, NSW and Vic understand just how long and painful driving the Bruce highway in regional QLD is. It is LONG. Cairns to Brisbane is almost the same as Melbourne to Brisbane. Due to 50kW chargers (42kW at best and 33kW at worst) this trip takes far longer in an EV than the Melbourne to Brisbane trip due to the Supercharger, Chargefox and Evie networks. This makes for a very frustrating experience. I know this because I've experienced both. A 50kW highway feels like snails pace compared to Superchargers and above. The public ask about range in an EV which is no longer an issue, IF there are fast chargers.

See comparison on ABRP Cairns to Brisbane vs Melbourne to Brisbane, considering Melbourne to Brisbane is about 80km longer too.

View attachment 699880View attachment 699881

Brisbane to Melbourne is quicker - its mostly motorway where with a bit of leadfooting speeds of 105-115km/h average can be achieved.
Even if you drive the bruce highway in the early or late hours (which is much harder due to roo danger) with a leadfoot you are unlikely to achieve average speeds of much over 85-90km/h. Nevermind that once it is daytime it is congested with plenty of people going 70km/h slowing you down much further with little chance to overtake. Even on google maps Cairns to Brisbane is 90min longer than Brisbane to Melbourne.

And then add on top of that that we dont have supercharging access north of Gympie, except for the Townsville Evie station....

This conversation is going around in circles and it's becoming a little tedious.

The ARENA fuding round under discussion is not for the Bruce Highway or highway charging in general. It was a round specifically targeting urban and suburban areas, where a greater number, wider spread of chargers is currently probably more important than fewer with a greater raw speed.

Hopefully, there is a future funding round that does target highway chargers with a lifted minimum speed requirement. Evie's separate 350kW rollout is still proceeding (though unfortunately doesn't have anything currently planned between Gympie and Proserpine) and Chargefox has promised that a "Phase 2" of their ultra-rapid network rollout is on the way. Superchargers are always being added, though Bundaberg is currently the site furthest up the Bruce Hwy on their list.

Evie's separate 350kW rollout is still proceeding (though unfortunately doesn't have anything currently planned between Gympie and Proserpine) and Chargefox has promised that a "Phase 2" of their ultra-rapid network rollout is on the way. Superchargers are always being added, though Bundaberg is currently the site furthest up the Bruce Hwy on their list.
Even with just sites that we know about now, Tesla has a site at Rockhampton on their map, listed as Q1 2022. And as you say Evie's plans stretch as far south as Proserpine... so that's a 455 km gap. So even before any unknown future expansion is taken into account, it would be doable with one "bridging" stop in the middle, probably at a 50 kW.

I still think that the 50 kW networks (like NRMA and QESH) are good things for EV infrastructure, they help break the chicken-and-egg cycle, and their usage information provides the ultra-rapid network developers with data on where the demand is.

Reactions: Vostok and aegidius
Ouyen is a great addition for when I next do a Sydney - Kangaroo Island drive. One day!
From a common starting point - Gundagai (100% charge) and using A Better Route Planner
Not using Superchargers gives a route to Adelaide via Jerilderie, Ouyen and Tailem Bend. 990km, 14h including 3h charge time, cost $17.
Using Superchargers only goes via Wodonga, Euroa, Bendigo, Horsham and Keith. 1148km, 14h 15m including 1h 40m charging time, cost $102.
This is for our thirsty Model X set to a max speed of 110km/hr.
Even though it is 158KM further the Supercharger route is only 15 minutes longer. It would have a higher 'confidence' level at each charger compared to the single points of failure at Jerilderie and Ouyen. On the down side it is more expensive.
Be good to do the trip to actually compare...

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman