Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVmote App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this still actively being developed?

Ryan (cryptyk) hasn't been responding to the reports of the trip logging errors for about a week. Perhaps he has had some sort of personal emergency or something that has taken precedence over this work for a short time. With all the time and effort he has put into the project thus far, I can't imagine that he would just "stop development", and I definitely can't imagine him doing that without letting us know what was going on.

I expect we'll hear from Ryan some time soon, when he is able. In the mean time I think we all just need to be patient, and not jump the gun with posts like the above, that might seem to significantly exaggerate the severity of the issue.

Hi all,
Sorry for the absence. As Andy alluded to, I've been dealing with "real life" stuff for the last two weeks.

I'll figure out why trip tracking isn't working today. New feature development may be slow for the next few weeks, however.

Thanks for your patience,
Ryan

Hi all,
Sorry for the absence. As Andy alluded to, I've been dealing with "real life" stuff for the last two weeks.

I'll figure out why trip tracking isn't working today. New feature development may be slow for the next few weeks, however.

Thanks for your patience,
Ryan

Thanks for taking the time to update us, and to do what you can.

Good luck with whatever the "real life stuff" is.

Could this be because we're swamping the TM servers with requests from multiple requesters, eg yesterday I ended up running VT in parallel for my insane launch testing to get the energy use. Both VT and this failed logging huge chunks of time.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to stop evmote recording / polling whilst I use VT, or other data logging tools, as I want to be a good client :)

If memory serves, and hopefully helps your debugging, this was ~9:15am (PST) yesterday

I've never seen any issues arise from overloading the Tesla APIs in evMote. I manage the traffic pretty well. That's another way of saying that every issue with evMote so far has been 100% because I screwed something up ;)

There is a lot of instability with the Tesla API though. It doesn't feel like it's a priority for them. Here's a dashboard I use to keep an eye on evMote:
Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 10.28.31 AM.png

At the top right, you can see the constant errors that come back from the Tesla API. I usually just auto-retry those requests and they work. Not ideal.
Also in the middle right, you can see errors I get back from the GPS tracking API. I usually just drop that particular GPS coordinate. You wouldn't notice because the tracks come in pretty quickly and one point isn't noticeable.
Also, note the dip in the bottom right graph. That's the graph for number of trips that were stopped. You can see that when the GPS tracker crashed, it stopped logging trips. There's now an alert when that happens :)

Thanks,
Ryan

Great job on this - I just found out about it and started using it a few days ago. It is awesome!

A couple of (minor) issues on the trip log. On one trip to work it didn't know that my trip was over and it has my trip duration as 9h 32m. But that only happened once.

I am in Canada and use metric on my car which normally shows up correctly on EVMote. However earlier today I hit the web site on my iPad and it was showing the units as miles. But now it is back to metric.

I love the "you forgot to plug in your car" email.

I've never seen any issues arise from overloading the Tesla APIs in evMote. I manage the traffic pretty well. That's another way of saying that every issue with evMote so far has been 100% because I screwed something up ;)

There is a lot of instability with the Tesla API though. It doesn't feel like it's a priority for them. Here's a dashboard I use to keep an eye on evMote:

At the top right, you can see the constant errors that come back from the Tesla API. I usually just auto-retry those requests and they work. Not ideal.
Also in the middle right, you can see errors I get back from the GPS tracking API. I usually just drop that particular GPS coordinate. You wouldn't notice because the tracks come in pretty quickly and one point isn't noticeable.
Also, note the dip in the bottom right graph. That's the graph for number of trips that were stopped. You can see that when the GPS tracker crashed, it stopped logging trips. There's now an alert when that happens :)

Thanks,
Ryan

thanks Ryan, though honestly wasn't implying either system was abusing the api, rather that if each app assumes the "safe" behavior of the same qty/freq of requests as phone app then running two simultaneously (or heck 3 - insert remote S here ;-)) would be "less safe" ;-)

Like the graphs, though can't determine if these are good numbers or bad numbers, presuming this is server load for unknown number of clients? Trying to correlate these by eye I do wonder if there's some weirdness on the web api vs tesla Api error ratio?

again, if it's not clear this is great! Want to not bring down anyone else's experience if I'm data logging :)

thanks Ryan, though honestly wasn't implying either system was abusing the api, rather that if each app assumes the "safe" behavior of the same qty/freq of requests as phone app then running two simultaneously (or heck 3 - insert remote S here ;-)) would be "less safe" ;-)

Like the graphs, though can't determine if these are good numbers or bad numbers, presuming this is server load for unknown number of clients? Trying to correlate these by eye I do wonder if there's some weirdness on the web api vs tesla Api error ratio?

again, if it's not clear this is great! Want to not bring down anyone else's experience if I'm data logging :)

I see your point. I'll definitely know if it becomes a problem :)

Quick graph explanation, left-to-right, top-to-bottom:
1) Number of times the web app exits, usually becuase of a deployment. Occasionally because of a crash.
2) Same thing for the GPS tracker app.
3) Errors seen because of Tesla API instability. These shoot way up sometimes in the middle of the night when they deploy new APIs, etc.
4) Crashes from the web app
5) Crashes from the GPS tracker app
6) Instability in the Tesla GPS tracker APIs. They regularly send bad data back.
7) The number of IFTTT calls ya'll are making.
8) The number of trips that were recorded stopped. It's fun to see how this changes over a 24h period.

Thanks,
Ryan