TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EVmote App

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by cryptyk, Aug 15, 2015.

1. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

I'll be tracking bugs on this Github repo. That way I can reference the code in the fixes, manage release, etc.

Thanks!
    Ryan

2. MartinAustin

MartinAustin I Do Not Read Electrek

How do you attach screenshots or other graphics on that system... can't find it

3. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

At the bottom of the bug comment section, you can click the blue link ("selecting them")

4. riegetor

riegetor Member

#24 riegetor, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Thanks for the response, and I see that your credentials are verified by a proper off-by-one error ;)

edit: I'm giving it a try. Already added a feature request for support for metric units

5. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

I'm wondering with what frequency you're polling the car?

I ask because that has, of course, been an issue in the past. I do keep VT running on a server, and my wife occasionally uses Remote S, and while your interface looks good, I'd be worried about the possibility of too many requests being made on my account, and Tesla throttling usage.

Thanks!

6. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

The discrepancy was *clearly* due to a hardware malfunction. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I poll the car every twenty seconds while your browser is on the "Dash" screen. If you're not on that screen, I don't poll.

The GPS data is collected via a different mechanism. It's a live streaming service where I connect and Tesla keeps the connection open for about 3-5 minutes and sends location data. Once they close the connection, I wait a couple of seconds and open it again. I also have some throttling on the stream connection so it doesn't start slamming the server if the stream connection starts flapping (in the case of a revoked password token or something). This is the same way the mobile apps work - the big difference is that I'm doing it for multiple users all from one box.

I think I'm being pretty conservative and responsible with their API, buy there's certainly a non-zero chance that Tesla will get upset and ask me to stop the service. Honestly, though, they haven't done much to stop people from using the API over the last few years. They haven't bothered to do anything to secure it. I think they're more worried about autopilot and the X :)

7. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

OK, great. It sounds like you've got a good handle on things there.

I expect you know a lot more about this than I do, but you may want to look into that a bit. My understanding, from reading the VT thread, and seeing what happened to some other apps that used the API that are now just "gone", is that Tesla moved many accounts, including all new accounts, to some new servers, that were in some way different. And I also believe that for some time after this move, when jpasqua, the developer of VT was working on rewriting parts of it to work with the new servers, he was being severely throttled. In fact for a while he thought (and posted) that VT would probably not be updated beyond the then last version, because there would be no way to keep it working, and no way to get it working for new owners like me, who were on the new servers, or for older owners whose accounts had been moved to the new servers.

I don't know how much, if any, of this was an attempt to "stop people from using the API", but it certainly seems as if it could have been.

Just something to think about, and perhaps look into a bit, if you are so inclined.

Good luck!

8. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

Here are some pictures of it running in the Tesla browser. Sorry for the potato quality - I was driving at the time ;)
    Note that this is a web app, so it runs equally well on your desktop/laptop. I'm working on making it look better on tablet and phone, too.
    Here's the live dashboard. I like to leave it up while I'm driving, fullscreen:
    livedash.jpg

Here's the [alpha version] of the LIVE trip tracker. It updates in real time as you're driving.
    It also shows all of your historical trips.
    livetrip.jpg

9. MartinAustin

Some suggestions posted here in the forum! (I'm so inconsistent, bah :) )

It would be nice to get some more documentation about how the systems works. Firstly, what defines the break between trip segments. I say "trip segments" because I can drive from one end of town to the other and see you've recorded three trips. Usually it's while I'm stopped at a long traffic light or something.

It would be nice to be able to merge "trips" together into one "trip" - if a longer journey has been split up, for example, then you can merge them back into the single journey they probably should have been :)

It would be nice if the list of trips was scrollable, rather than use the page-by-page system it has now.

The system records very short trips - very, very short trips. Like, if you go ten feet back and forth on your driveway a few times, each one of those movements becomes a discrete "trip" and it doesn't really show up on the map, either - too short probably. Therefore, it would be nice if you were able to filter out some types of trips, perhaps based on duration or distance.

10. bjwModelS

bjwModelS Member

On trip tracking.... I currently use a device from MileTrackGPS.com to track my mileage for business usage. I pay a monthly fee for this. Would love to have a way to keep an online record of my driving, be able to merge trips together, etc for tracking mileage. Would definitely pay for the feature. Just a thought since I know MTGPS is closing down in a few months when the developer heads to a Fortune 100 company for Android development.

11. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

Another teaser of the features I'll launch tomorrow!

controls.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I have some thoughts. Let me do some investigation. Thanks for the feedback!

12. riegetor

riegetor Member

There's some real issues with the trip tracking. I took a detour on my way to work today to scout for some deer terrain. The trip was split into two parts and the car was not in park during this time. It's a bit worse yesterday where I supposedly had plenty of very short trips in addition to a detour to Africa (!) :)

13. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

Yep. I've identified one major issue with trip tracking. I'll fix that one tomorrow and see if it gets better.

Not sure about the Africa thing, though! I hadn't seen that one before!

Thanks,
    Ryan

14. Jacina

Jacina Member

Looks great and simple. Just can't relate to miles and °Fahrenheit :)

15. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

This should be fixed. Let me know over the next day or two if it looks more reliable now.

16. tomp

tomp Member

I also reported the temperature bug on github - reporting 32 degrees for both temps. It seems to recur. I noted the issue yesterday afternoon. This morning it was working again, but this afternoon went back to saying 32F (and still is saying that).
    Thanks for your work on this!

17. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

Fixed!

- - - Updated - - -

Fixed! You can go to your profile screen and choose your unit preference.

18. riegetor

riegetor Member

Normal vs Weird...I think you have your labels mixed here. Weird should be the label for the system used only by US, Liberia and Myanmar ;)

And metric vs imperial should be selected by the API instead. I'm pretty sure the Tesla API provides information about the selected unit from the car.

Also, evMote should use the proper typical/rated setting from the API as well

19. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

Well that's strange! You don't typically think of countries like Liberia and Myanmar as having their **** together. Huh. ;)

That's great feedback. Look for that soon!

20. MartinAustin

They also use miles in the UK for road distances and speeds. Metric for everything else I believe.