Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVmote App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Ryan - how do you propose we report issues to you?

Suggestions -
1) right here in this forum
2) you start a Google Spreadsheet that we can add items to, you can resolve as fixed etc.
3) go "whole hog" and figure out how to use something free like Request Tracker RT: Request Tracker - Best Practical or Bugzilla Download :: Bugzilla :: bugzilla.org

- - - Updated - - -

I see there is a Google+ button at the bottom of the About page, and I hit the Join button, but it doesn't seem very populated :)

I'll be tracking bugs on this Github repo. That way I can reference the code in the fixes, manage release, etc.

Thanks!
Ryan

I totally understand your concern. I wish Tesla gave us real Oauth support, too! Believe me - I don't like the idea of asking for people's passwords either. At the end of the day, it requires some level of trust that I'm not doing anything nefarious. Let me do two things:
1) Explain how I handle passwords on evMote
2) Be transparent about the other data I can see about you
3) Give you a little background on myself so you can make an informed "trust decision"
Thanks for the response, and I see that your credentials are verified by a proper off-by-one error ;)

edit: I'm giving it a try. Already added a feature request for support for metric units

Last edited:
I'm wondering with what frequency you're polling the car?

I ask because that has, of course, been an issue in the past. I do keep VT running on a server, and my wife occasionally uses Remote S, and while your interface looks good, I'd be worried about the possibility of too many requests being made on my account, and Tesla throttling usage.

Thanks!

Thanks for the response, and I see that your credentials are verified by a proper off-by-one error ;)

edit: I'm giving it a try. Already added a feature request for support for metric units

The discrepancy was *clearly* due to a hardware malfunction. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm wondering with what frequency you're polling the car?

I ask because that has, of course, been an issue in the past. I do keep VT running on a server, and my wife occasionally uses Remote S, and while your interface looks good, I'd be worried about the possibility of too many requests being made on my account, and Tesla throttling usage.

Thanks!

I poll the car every twenty seconds while your browser is on the "Dash" screen. If you're not on that screen, I don't poll.

The GPS data is collected via a different mechanism. It's a live streaming service where I connect and Tesla keeps the connection open for about 3-5 minutes and sends location data. Once they close the connection, I wait a couple of seconds and open it again. I also have some throttling on the stream connection so it doesn't start slamming the server if the stream connection starts flapping (in the case of a revoked password token or something). This is the same way the mobile apps work - the big difference is that I'm doing it for multiple users all from one box.

I think I'm being pretty conservative and responsible with their API, buy there's certainly a non-zero chance that Tesla will get upset and ask me to stop the service. Honestly, though, they haven't done much to stop people from using the API over the last few years. They haven't bothered to do anything to secure it. I think they're more worried about autopilot and the X :)

I poll the car every twenty seconds while your browser is on the "Dash" screen. If you're not on that screen, I don't poll.

The GPS data is collected via a different mechanism. It's a live streaming service where I connect and Tesla keeps the connection open for about 3-5 minutes and sends location data. Once they close the connection, I wait a couple of seconds and open it again. I also have some throttling on the stream connection so it doesn't start slamming the server if the stream connection starts flapping (in the case of a revoked password token or something). This is the same way the mobile apps work - the big difference is that I'm doing it for multiple users all from one box.

OK, great. It sounds like you've got a good handle on things there.

Honestly, though, they haven't done much to stop people from using the API over the last few years. They haven't bothered to do anything to secure it. I think they're more worried about autopilot and the X :)

I expect you know a lot more about this than I do, but you may want to look into that a bit. My understanding, from reading the VT thread, and seeing what happened to some other apps that used the API that are now just "gone", is that Tesla moved many accounts, including all new accounts, to some new servers, that were in some way different. And I also believe that for some time after this move, when jpasqua, the developer of VT was working on rewriting parts of it to work with the new servers, he was being severely throttled. In fact for a while he thought (and posted) that VT would probably not be updated beyond the then last version, because there would be no way to keep it working, and no way to get it working for new owners like me, who were on the new servers, or for older owners whose accounts had been moved to the new servers.

I don't know how much, if any, of this was an attempt to "stop people from using the API", but it certainly seems as if it could have been.

Just something to think about, and perhaps look into a bit, if you are so inclined.

Good luck!

Here are some pictures of it running in the Tesla browser. Sorry for the potato quality - I was driving at the time ;)
Note that this is a web app, so it runs equally well on your desktop/laptop. I'm working on making it look better on tablet and phone, too.
Here's the live dashboard. I like to leave it up while I'm driving, fullscreen:
livedash.jpg

Here's the [alpha version] of the LIVE trip tracker. It updates in real time as you're driving.
It also shows all of your historical trips.
livetrip.jpg

Some suggestions posted here in the forum! (I'm so inconsistent, bah :) )

It would be nice to get some more documentation about how the systems works. Firstly, what defines the break between trip segments. I say "trip segments" because I can drive from one end of town to the other and see you've recorded three trips. Usually it's while I'm stopped at a long traffic light or something.

It would be nice to be able to merge "trips" together into one "trip" - if a longer journey has been split up, for example, then you can merge them back into the single journey they probably should have been :)

It would be nice if the list of trips was scrollable, rather than use the page-by-page system it has now.

The system records very short trips - very, very short trips. Like, if you go ten feet back and forth on your driveway a few times, each one of those movements becomes a discrete "trip" and it doesn't really show up on the map, either - too short probably. Therefore, it would be nice if you were able to filter out some types of trips, perhaps based on duration or distance.

On trip tracking.... I currently use a device from MileTrackGPS.com to track my mileage for business usage. I pay a monthly fee for this. Would love to have a way to keep an online record of my driving, be able to merge trips together, etc for tracking mileage. Would definitely pay for the feature. Just a thought since I know MTGPS is closing down in a few months when the developer heads to a Fortune 100 company for Android development.

Another teaser of the features I'll launch tomorrow!

controls.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

On trip tracking.... I currently use a device from MileTrackGPS.com to track my mileage for business usage. I pay a monthly fee for this. Would love to have a way to keep an online record of my driving, be able to merge trips together, etc for tracking mileage. Would definitely pay for the feature. Just a thought since I know MTGPS is closing down in a few months when the developer heads to a Fortune 100 company for Android development.

I have some thoughts. Let me do some investigation. Thanks for the feedback!

There's some real issues with the trip tracking. I took a detour on my way to work today to scout for some deer terrain. The trip was split into two parts and the car was not in park during this time. It's a bit worse yesterday where I supposedly had plenty of very short trips in addition to a detour to Africa (!) :)

There's some real issues with the trip tracking. I took a detour on my way to work today to scout for some deer terrain. The trip was split into two parts and the car was not in park during this time. It's a bit worse yesterday where I supposedly had plenty of very short trips in addition to a detour to Africa (!) :)

Yep. I've identified one major issue with trip tracking. I'll fix that one tomorrow and see if it gets better.

Not sure about the Africa thing, though! I hadn't seen that one before!

Thanks,
Ryan

This should be fixed. Let me know over the next day or two if it looks more reliable now.

I also reported the temperature bug on github - reporting 32 degrees for both temps. It seems to recur. I noted the issue yesterday afternoon. This morning it was working again, but this afternoon went back to saying 32F (and still is saying that).
Thanks for your work on this!

I also reported the temperature bug on github - reporting 32 degrees for both temps. It seems to recur. I noted the issue yesterday afternoon. This morning it was working again, but this afternoon went back to saying 32F (and still is saying that).
Thanks for your work on this!

Fixed!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks great and simple. Just can't relate to miles and °Fahrenheit :)

Fixed! You can go to your profile screen and choose your unit preference.

Fixed! You can go to your profile screen and choose your unit preference.

Normal vs Weird...I think you have your labels mixed here. Weird should be the label for the system used only by US, Liberia and Myanmar ;)

And metric vs imperial should be selected by the API instead. I'm pretty sure the Tesla API provides information about the selected unit from the car.

Also, evMote should use the proper typical/rated setting from the API as well

Normal vs Weird...I think you have your labels mixed here. Weird should be the label for the system used only by US, Liberia and Myanmar ;)

Well that's strange! You don't typically think of countries like Liberia and Myanmar as having their **** together. Huh. ;)

And metric vs imperial should be selected by the API instead. I'm pretty sure the Tesla API provides information about the selected unit from the car.

Also, evMote should use the proper typical/rated setting from the API as well

That's great feedback. Look for that soon!