Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVmote App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious, what is it you like about AWS vs Google?

I use both all the time and don't really have a strong preference. For this project, I already manage the DNS with route53 and I want to integrate with SNS for text messaging, so figured it would make sense to move the compute from GCE to EC2. I have most of the stack configured with Ansible, so it's a non-event to spin up and configure new servers, etc.

Thanks,
Ryan

I've just signed up and added my car. The trips I drove yesterday were captured properly and this looks like an interesting Web app. I've noticed a few things:

1. My range is shown in rated miles even though the car is set to typical - although I think the issue is the label, not the value (I'm at 90% charge and show 220 "rated disgance")
2. On the trip page, the average energy is shown as 2.20%/mi which is inverted. Again, the number is correct but the label should be mi/% - ie I drove 2.20 miles for every % of battery charge consumed.
3. I've never seen the inside and outside temperatures actually populate - all the other field appear to populate correctly.

I did check back through the 22 pages of posts and did not see these reported so hopefully I am not duplicating! And thanks for your work on this - I like the fact it is a Web app rather than a native app.

Nick.

Last edited:
I've just signed up and added my car. The trips I drove yesterday were captured properly and this looks like an interesting Web app. I've noticed a few things:

1. My range is shown in rated miles even though the car is set to typical - although I think the issue is the label, not the value (I'm at 90% charge and show 220 "rated disgance")
2. On the trip page, the average energy is shown as 2.20%/mi which is inverted. Again, the number is correct but the label should be mi/% - ie I drove 2.20 miles for every % of battery charge consumed.
3. I've never seen the inside and outside temperatures actually populate - all the other field appear to populate correctly.

I did check back through the 22 pages of posts and did not see these reported so hopefully I am not duplicating! And thanks for your work on this - I like the fact it is a Web app rather than a native app.

Nick.

Thanks for the feedback! I've added the first two as bugs in the tracker.

As for #3, that usually happens when the car is asleep. I've been hesitant to wake it up just to get the temperature.

Thanks,
Ryan

I've been following this thread from its inception, but only just registered today.The site looks great, Ryan!

Watching as my wife traveled home, I actually believe I have identified two possible bugs in the "Trips" area. Both are related to viewing a trip while it is in progress. The first is that the "Top Speed" field seems to often display the current speed instead of the actual top speed. I was watching my wife's trip after she had left the highway, where her max speed had been 70 MPH. I was seeing her max speed as 50 or 56, and checking the dashboard, that is the speed she was traveling at the moment. Once or twice I did see it temporarily display as 70, though she had not reached that speed again. Now that the trip is complete, it is correctly displaying as 70.

The other issue is that it was impossible to zoom in completely on her current location as she was traveling, as the map would change location, and resize to a more zoomed out size. I imagine this had to do with her location being updated, so perhaps there just isn't a good way of handling this. I just wanted to make you aware of the issue.

Thanks!

I now have a few feature requests for the stats available on the "Trips" screen. While I recognize not everyone would necessarily want to see this information, I imagine there is information already being displayed that not everyone wants to see. I would hope additional information would not bother anyone too much.

The additional information I would like to see for each trip is rated miles used, kWh used, Avg Wh/mi, and, if possible, average outside temperature for the trip. A special added bonus would be average cabin temperature for the trip, though I admittedly don't know if that would even be possible.

The first three are metrics that I've been tracking, and I expect others have as well, largely because they are available easily from the car. I doubt anyone would raise an eyebrow at those three being added.

My wife and I reset one of the trip meters before beginning the trip, note the rated miles, take a picture of the trips screen at the end of the trip, and note the rated range remaining, so that we may subtract to figure the rated range used. We "guesstimate" at the outside temperature, by checking the temperature periodically. We note what we have the cabin temp set to, and generally don't change it during a trip so that we don't complicate our results. (At least I don't change it, and she tells me she doesn't.) I then enter all the data into a spreadsheet, and compare the results to EV Trip Planner expected results. (The temperatures are necessary for EV Trip Planner.) We also attempt to record an approximate wind speed and direction, as well as other weather conditions.

If EVMote / Project Cartesia (what is the proper name for this project anyway?) started recording all the information requested above, the only thing we would still need to record would be wind and other weather conditions. (And cabin temperature if cabin temperature is not included.)

Thanks in advance for considering these additions to Trips recording.

This is just another tool in the stalking toolbox. I already have VT and the Tesla app! :)

"Honey... I see you are about to be... HOME! Camera pulls back from Andyw2100's smiling face only to reveal him brandishing and electric Lion Battery Powered Chainsaw.... at 100% charge (led battery lights show charge state and if button pushed second time shows tire pressure, wheel by wheel in Tesla (using a binary blink code))... scene fades to dark with high pitched violin single note shriek...shriek...shriek...."

BTW, it would be swell if Cartesia offered a button that was a RECORD STATS button... it would upon being invoked record all stats, miles/kms, temps, SOC, you name it and then store that with the date and time and if charger is attached add a field indicator that implies charging. This type of data(s) could be downloaded by the driver into a spreadsheet or database. It could be a source for logging applications.

Cryptic... is there any real time indicator that you can query to ascertain if the drivetrain is in the TorqueSleep state? In the Regen State?

Last edited:
BTW, it would be swell if Cartesia offered a button that was a RECORD STATS button... it would upon being invoked record all stats, miles/kms, temps, SOC, you name it and then store that with the date and time and if charger is attached add a field indicator that implies charging. This type of data(s) could be downloaded by the driver into a spreadsheet or database. It could be a source for logging applications.

I have been talking to Ryan about automatically sending (start/end) trip data to LogMySc.com so it populates each leg with all that info, then LogMySc will show it all in a grid and summary format.

I have been talking to Ryan about automatically sending (start/end) trip data to LogMySc.com so it populates each leg with all that info, then LogMySc will show it all in a grid and summary format.

Ohhh Ohhh that would just be excellent. This is symbiosis at its best. You both have to discuss the message format and field definitions in a data dictonary for the data transfer.... I assume you have done this?

Ohhh Ohhh that would just be excellent. This is symbiosis at its best. You both have to discuss the message format and field definitions in a data dictonary for the data transfer.... I assume you have done this?

I told Ryan here are the fields I'd need:

1. LogMySc AuthToken or ID
2. Latitude and Longitude (for detecting if they are at a Supercharger or non-SC stopover)
3. Current Odometer reading
4. Timestamp
5. Energy remaining (can you get actual kWh or just current %?)
6. Current Rated Miles remaining
7. Temperature (optional)

I'd set up an API call on my server so all Ryan would have to do is hit that URL with these fields in either GET parameters, or JSON in a POST (either way works).. and I'd process that and append it to a daily LogMySc trip (one trip per day).

I don't know if Ryan has the time to set this up, but as soon as he does, I'll set up the API on my end and start collecting data for my own trips. Once I get that going and it works, we'll figure out a way to expand it to any EVMOTE user.

I have yet another feature request related to trips.

I think it would be useful if we could add information to individual trips. For example, having the ability to name the trip, and having a field where we could enter additional information about the trip would be helpful.

Thanks!

Getting this error:

Code:
Connect
500 MongoError: no primary server available
   at pickServer (/app/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/topologies/replset.js:856:13)
   at ReplSet.getServer (/app/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/topologies/replset.js:325:10)
   at nextFunction (/app/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/cursor.js:592:35)
   at Cursor.next [as _next] (/app/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/cursor.js:770:3)
   at nextObject (/app/node_modules/mongodb/lib/cursor.js:651:8)
   at Cursor.next (/app/node_modules/mongodb/lib/cursor.js:263:12)
   at wrapped [as next] (/app/node_modules/newrelic/lib/instrumentation/mongodb.js:185:25)
   at findOne (/app/node_modules/mongodb/lib/collection.js:1320:10)
   at Collection.findOne (/app/node_modules/mongodb/lib/collection.js:1306:44)
   at wrapped (/app/node_modules/newrelic/lib/transaction/tracer/index.js:157:28)
   at wrappedQuery (/app/node_modules/newrelic/lib/instrumentation/mongodb.js:218:53)
   at wrapped (/app/node_modules/newrelic/lib/instrumentation/mongodb.js:188:22)
   at /app/node_modules/connect-mongo/lib/connect-mongo.js:287:18
   at MongoStore.getCollection (/app/node_modules/connect-mongo/lib/connect-mongo.js:216:11)
   at MongoStore.get (/app/node_modules/connect-mongo/lib/connect-mongo.js:285:10)
   at session (/app/node_modules/express-session/index.js:408:11)
   at session (eval at wrapHandle (/app/node_modules/newrelic/lib/instrumentation/express.js:1:0), <anonymous>:12:19)
   at Layer.handle [as handle_request] (/app/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:95:5)
   at trim_prefix (/app/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:312:13)
   at /app/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:280:7
   at Function.process_params (/app/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:330:12)
   at Function.cls_wrapProcessParams [as process_params] (/app/node_modules/newrelic/lib/instrumentation/express.js:205:29)

Getting this error:

Code:
Connect
500 MongoError: no primary server available
   at pickServer (/app/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/topologies/replset.js:856:13)
   at ReplSet.getServer (/app/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/topologies/replset.js:325:10)
   at nextFunction (/app/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/cursor.js:592:35)
   at Cursor.next [as _next] (/app/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/cursor.js:770:3)
   at nextObject (/app/node_modules/mongodb/lib/cursor.js:651:8)
   at Cursor.next (/app/node_modules/mongodb/lib/cursor.js:263:12)
   at wrapped [as next] (/app/node_modules/newrelic/lib/instrumentation/mongodb.js:185:25)
   at findOne (/app/node_modules/mongodb/lib/collection.js:1320:10)
   at Collection.findOne (/app/node_modules/mongodb/lib/collection.js:1306:44)
   at wrapped (/app/node_modules/newrelic/lib/transaction/tracer/index.js:157:28)
   at wrappedQuery (/app/node_modules/newrelic/lib/instrumentation/mongodb.js:218:53)
   at wrapped (/app/node_modules/newrelic/lib/instrumentation/mongodb.js:188:22)
   at /app/node_modules/connect-mongo/lib/connect-mongo.js:287:18
   at MongoStore.getCollection (/app/node_modules/connect-mongo/lib/connect-mongo.js:216:11)
   at MongoStore.get (/app/node_modules/connect-mongo/lib/connect-mongo.js:285:10)
   at session (/app/node_modules/express-session/index.js:408:11)
   at session (eval at wrapHandle (/app/node_modules/newrelic/lib/instrumentation/express.js:1:0), <anonymous>:12:19)
   at Layer.handle [as handle_request] (/app/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:95:5)
   at trim_prefix (/app/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:312:13)
   at /app/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:280:7
   at Function.process_params (/app/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:330:12)
   at Function.cls_wrapProcessParams [as process_params] (/app/node_modules/newrelic/lib/instrumentation/express.js:205:29)

Fixed :)

Hello,

First of all, very nice site. Hope there will be more information about the car and new functionality available soon.

I found a little miscalculation in the trip overview

2015-11-26 11_47_27-Tesla Map - evMote - Get the most out of your Tesla.jpg

Average Energy : states %/km but the calculation is distance divided by Energy Usage (km/%). Perhaps both values are useful and also the energy usage in kWh? :)

Can there also be an option to view the typical distance (in stead of rated distance) on the Dashboard view?