Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exclusive: GM will build Chevy Bolt in Michigan in late 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure this is really a change. Most specs published represent typical maximum capabilities, including Tesla's.

The web page for my 85 states: "265 miles range (EPA)". That's about as far as my car has ever been able to go under best-case conditions for "typical" driving.

At this stage, the Model S was said to go 300 miles. Also, I think there are reports of a Model S doing 425 miles in hypermiling mode.

I think that was once or twice when the S debuted and Elon was murmuring about a prize for the first person to break 400miles. Given the conditions it was achieved under, I definitely wouldn't mention it in casual conversation.

I'm not sure this is really a change. Most specs published represent typical maximum capabilities, including Tesla's.

The web page for my 85 states: "265 miles range (EPA)". That's about as far as my car has ever been able to go under best-case conditions for "typical" driving.

Just realistic expectations, I think. If you build a box that's rated for 200 miles, you're not going to get many people actually get 200 miles.
Given that typical driving involves faster acceleration, and more consistent but higher speeds than the EPA's test, it'd hardly be surprising that it's hard to get an heavy aerodynamic electric car, or a lighter boxy car to match EPA.

Just realistic expectations, I think. If you build a box that's rated for 200 miles, you're not going to get many people actually get 200 miles.
Given that typical driving involves faster acceleration, and more consistent but higher speeds than the EPA's test, it'd hardly be surprising that it's hard to get an heavy aerodynamic electric car, or a lighter boxy car to match EPA.

Do most people get the maximum rated mileage on the Model S?

Do most people get the maximum rated mileage on the Model S?

Probably not, though one thing that really sticks out in my mind is the Leaf's "maximum" range advertised somewhere on their site is 124 miles, or something crazy like that. On a Leaf, the EPA is 80-something in range, and most people get below that on average.

I'm not sure if there are many cars that go over EPA in regular (non hypermiling / super slow driving conditions). I know a smart ED can exceed 90-95 mile range on a 68 EPA rating if you stick to 40-45 mph and below in ideal conditions, but I haven't heard of many others.

An article at InsideEVs that raised the visibility of this press release issue yesterday has now been updated to say:

UPDATE: We contacted General Motors immediately on the change of wording surrounding the range expectations of the Chevrolet Bolt from China, and they put the focus on a “incorrect” statement on the part of the “team in China”. The press release has now been corrected to reflect GM’s earlier assumptions.

“Lightweight materials – including aluminum, magnesium, carbon fiber and woven mesh – add to the design while keeping down the curb weight to give the Bolt EV a range of more than 320 km (200 miles). “

An article at InsideEVs that raised the visibility of this press release issue yesterday has now been updated to say:

UPDATE: We contacted General Motors immediately on the change of wording surrounding the range expectations of the Chevrolet Bolt from China, and they put the focus on a “incorrect” statement on the part of the “team in China”. The press release has now been corrected to reflect GM’s earlier assumptions.

“Lightweight materials – including aluminum, magnesium, carbon fiber and woven mesh – add to the design while keeping down the curb weight to give the Bolt EV a range of more than 320 km (200 miles). “
That would explain a lot - the is some difference between this and the original article which said "up to 200 miles"
EPA will tell :)