Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing Powerwall 2s to get 50% power capacity increase with SW update...

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
Actually, what you put about how you had a 125A installed during inspection but then you swapped out 150A after the inspector left was the exact thing that PG&E told me that "shady" solar companies do all the time. He said shady companies cut corners and do stupid stuff behind inspectors backs because they only want to make a quick buck.

It's why he took it as a personal mission to stop my installation. He said Sunrun was shady, and would make my house unsafe. So he was "protecting me" since solar companies don't have the interest of the homeowner in mind. Of course, PG&E only has my best interest in mind... yep. But your story kind of reinforces why PG&E didn't trust me. They thought Sunrun would do what Tesla did for you; and make my MSP "unsafe". And since my MSP was near my gas riser, that's just a big BOOOOOOM waiting to happen.

And it wasn't just him that had the issue. Some (not all) of the folks at the PG&E planning department in their Diablo office also said the same thing. They felt the larger busbar in the solar-ready panels was inherently less safe. So solar companies using like-for-like to add bigger busbars is not allowed per the Greenbook due to safety concerns.
I just cannot believe anyone would do this. Meaning, if there was a fire or something, my guess is when insurance found this out, they would not cover.

And when one goes to sell, if this was not disclosed, law suit potential!

My installers took pictures of EVERYTHING! So if I or anyone else changed anything, then no warranty!

I had to put a 125amp in place of my 200 amp breaker when I put solar in, But with the battery install, and the GW being 200amps, they were legally able to put the 200 amp breaker back in my MSP.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Should I be worried about the installation now? Or is this a case of the installer having only permitted back in Dec ‘19 for interior home backup and then they sneakily switched it to whole home backup without redoing the permit??

I don't think you need to be worried - but if you have a copy of the permit or an approval package from your installer you can look to see what they put in the line diagram that your county thinks was installed.

If you see 150A in there, then your installer just did a mini little hack just because they wanted to get approval before they got your 150A breaker. Why they didn't just wait until after your 150A breaker was in hand for inspection is kind of weird. The motive here is just trying to save a few bucks on having the inspector rescheduled.

PG&E's accusation is that a solar company will put 125A on the actual permit and line diagram to get things approved and cleared. Then when nobody is looking the solar company whams a much larger breaker in to save money since they would skip doing the work to allow the proper upgrade. The motive here is kind of malicious because the installer doesn't want to pay for a main service panel or service upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: warriorsfan

warriorsfan

Apr 7, 2021
Bay Area, CA
I don't think you need to be worried - but if you have a copy of the permit or an approval package from your installer you can look to see what they put in the line diagram that your county thinks was installed.

If you see 150A in there, then your installer just did a mini little hack just because they wanted to get approval before they got your 150A breaker. Why they didn't just wait until after your 150A breaker was in hand for inspection is kind of weird. The motive here is just trying to save a few bucks on having the inspector rescheduled.

PG&E's accusation is that a solar company will put 125A on the actual permit and line diagram to get things approved and cleared. Then when nobody is looking the solar company whams a much larger breaker in to save money since they would skip doing the work to allow the proper upgrade. The motive here is kind of malicious because the installer doesn't want to pay for a main service panel or service upgrade.
ok so I had done a main panel upgrade from 200A/100A bus bar to 200A/225A busbar. Still the same 200A service. Not sure how the installer and the subcontracted electrician pulled it off 😀.
Also, regarding the 125A-> 150A breaker, the installer claims it was taking time to order it. But yeah who knows. I did not get a copy of permit nor project plans though. Installer not very transparent on this.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
ok so I had done a main panel upgrade from 200A/100A bus bar to 200A/225A busbar. Still the same 200A service. Not sure how the installer and the subcontracted electrician pulled it off 😀.
Also, regarding the 125A-> 150A breaker, the installer claims it was taking time to order it. But yeah who knows. I did not get a copy of permit nor project plans though. Installer not very transparent on this.
I can get details of permits pulled on my house on line.

I would demand copies of plans, and proof the inspector and plans approved a 150A breaker

• Informative
Reactions: warriorsfan

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC