Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing Powerwall 2s to get 50% power capacity increase with SW update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So does this mean that those of us with existing PW 2 will get an increase power?
We don't know for sure, however from basic electrical knowledge, I'm guessing the answer is no because for increase the 5kw output to say 7.5kw (50%)., that means you would need a larger breaker, and different wiring. Those online on twitter are saying that this increase is for those who have received Powerwall 2.1 installed over the past 3 or 4 weeks. If you have one on a 50amp breaker, then it's most then likely that you'll get this increase next month once the new software arrives.

But all this is speculation. We won't know for sure until the software arrives.

true, for the masses a extra 20%. those with 40 amp breaker you could get more...

By get more, I think he's referring to above the 5kw/7kw peak. The capacity of 13.5kwh won't change. That's what everyone is thinking.

So this means that you can pull quicker out of each Powerwall which means at the new 7kw load, your Powerwall will drain faster with a higher load.

By get more, I think he's referring to above the 5kw/7kw peak. The capacity of 13.5kwh won't change. That's what everyone is thinking.

So this means that you can pull quicker out of each Powerwall which means at the new 7kw load, your Powerwall will drain faster with a higher load.

Also you can charge faster. I have 8.6kw plate PV and have seen about 6kw peak, which is more than the PW can charge at for a sustained time.

It's been 50 minutes and you haven't come back from checking yet. Are you OK? Do we need to send out a rescue crew? People are waiting! :)
Ha. Confirmed, all are 40amp. They ended up using one quad circuit breaker, lack of space with the 400 amp panel they used.

It's also interesting to see this in the inverter... I didn't realize it could talk to the PWs.

"
grid_code_point_nominal_pinv_voltage: {
id: "grid_code_point_nominal_pinv_voltage",
defaultMessage: "Nominal Grid Voltage of connected Powerwalls"
"

Does the Powerwall use all available capacity from the batteries or does it only use a portion like in the cars? I know in the cars they don't use all of the capacity to prevent premature battery wear. Maybe they have found that after years of use they can increase the usable capacity beyond the 13.5kWh.

Does the Powerwall use all available capacity from the batteries or does it only use a portion like in the cars? I know in the cars they don't use all of the capacity to prevent premature battery wear. Maybe they have found that after years of use they can increase the usable capacity beyond the 13.5kWh.
Again, we are talking about power capacity, not energy capacity.

Reactions: Matias and Dave EV
so does this mean they are making two versions of PW until all back orders are filled? 2.1 for tesla and 2.0 for independent installers? they are still a year or more fulfilling back orders unless things change.
50 amp breaker would support 10Kw!
Independent installer put in a 2.1 yesterday (much to their surprise when I asked what version it was)

IMO, I think stuff like this after-install patch is more harmful than helpful. Maybe the homeowner gets a benefit, but all those other people that like to put their nose into the business of residential energy will interpret this as a lack of control. And the moment people don't understand where something can go, they assume the absolute worst possible scenario will happen.

Tesla is treating the Powerwall like their vehicles. But the vehicles are generally only regulated at the federal and marginally at the state level for emissions and "safe operation" through the easiest licensing exam. Insurance companies and banks have some input; but only indirectly with how they set rates related to the vehicles. The Department of Transportation rules are fairly static, with changes being communicated to automakers years in advance. And, the enforcement of the rules typically sits at the macro level with standard testing, registration, etc. Because if this, Tesla can push software updates to individual vehicles with impunity so long as they doesn't run afoul with the regulator's view of the safety and efficiency of the vehicle. This gives Tesla a wide range of options for software upgrades with the most significant pinch point coming from that FSD since it's less well understood.

It's why when you go get a car, you only need to show a driver's license. A city or county cannot determine your particular car is unsafe because maybe you put too much cargo in the back and your tire pressure is too low unless the issue is so obvious that an onlooker believes something to be wrong.

But contrast that with Powerwall installations which are regulated at the federal, state, county, local, and the power companies have a huge administrative burden involved with them. And enforcement comes from all manner of patchwork stakeholders. The worst part is, instead of looking for gross violations, the AHJs nit pick on every single possible tiny thing like the torque spec of racking bolts and the perfect setback distance from a ridge. And even the NEC rules seem inconsistently enforced due to the rate of adoption and unique local interpretations of the federal guidelines.

At the local level of permitting, Vines points out this thing with the installed breaker sizes being possibly inadequate. Home construction likes things to be static and permanent with any marginal changes going back for more permitting. You want to add a new Tesla charger? Permit. You want to add a new battery? Permit. You want to change how the generation sources backfeed a system? Permit.

And there are other issues like the PG&E considering the export amperage of the batteries for the 120% rule in certain designs... or their interconnection agreement being tiered based on the "export size in kW" of the battery. These stakeholders all have their own interpretation of what is "safe" and "acceptable".

We've seen countless times on this forum that the local AHJs want to enforce bollards, heat sensors, insulated grounding rods, neutrals not being bonded to ground except at the main, etc etc etc. If these AHJS cannot trust the ESS to behave as permitted, then they're going to assume the worst. But unlike cars, their assumption of the worst in a home is much more invasive than a worst-case in a car. Which is ironic since a car moving at 70mph on autopilot is much less safe compared to a house sitting there with a breaker that is rated 10A too low for the Powerwall.

Last edited:
IMO, I think stuff like this after-install patch is more harmful than helpful. Maybe the homeowner gets a benefit, but all those other people that like to put their nose into the business of residential energy will interpret this as a lack of control. And the moment people don't understand where something can go, they assume the absolute worst possible scenario will happen.
I tend to agree, and it is also why I expect to see a lot of delays and challenges with red tape for the new model of solar install that was just announced.

But, for this, I think it will be a relatively minor issue if Tesla really did match the increase with only the newest installs which are also being wired properly, with 40A breakers. That said, it may well require a lot of permit revisions in the short-term if they were wiring up breakers that don't match the electrical diagrams.

---

It is also interesting that the suggested benefit occurs at < 30C (86F). One of the potentially major benefits that was mentioned is starting an A/C, since this increase could mean a lot more units can be comfortably started with 2 PWs. But, an A/C is needed when it is warm, and if the unit is not itself in a climate-controlled location, that extra power might not be available.

Reactions: ohmman
Wow. I have not even had my PW's for a month, and I have 2.1's. SO, based on what I am reading, for folks to use the new "features" of the 2.1 PW's, they cannot be wired as 2.0 pws? Meaning, 2.0 with a max output of 5kw, use 10 gauge wire and 30 amp breakers. From what I am reading in this thread, for the 2.1's with new fw next week, which can put out 7.5kw, then these need 8 gauge wiring and 50 amp breakers? Is this correct? I just called my installer and said did they install my 2.1 batteries with the correct wiring size and breakers so I can use the new features starting next week? (240 volts at 30 amps is 7.2kw. So if it provides 7.5, seems breaker blows?

I tend to agree, and it is also why I expect to see a lot of delays and challenges with red tape for the new model of solar install that was just announced.

But, for this, I think it will be a relatively minor issue if Tesla really did match the increase with only the newest installs which are also being wired properly, with 40A breakers. That said, it may well require a lot of permit revisions in the short-term if they were wiring up breakers that don't match the electrical diagrams.

---

It is also interesting that the suggested benefit occurs at < 30C (86F). One of the potentially major benefits that was mentioned is starting an A/C, since this increase could mean a lot more units can be comfortably started with 2 PWs. But, an A/C is needed when it is warm, and if the unit is not itself in a climate-controlled location, that extra power might not be available.
Big deal to me. They just installed and wired with all 30 amp breakers and disconnects. So whether it is 40 am or 50 amp breakers, from what I am reading, the 30 does not cut it. If true, I said to my installer I would expect they would come out and redue the setup to support the 2.1 batteries features. Am I wrong to feel this way?

Big deal to me. They just installed and wired with all 30 amp breakers and disconnects. So whether it is 40 am or 50 amp breakers, from what I am reading, the 30 does not cut it. If true, I said to my installer I would expect they would come out and redue the setup to support the 2.1 batteries features. Am I wrong to feel this way?
If you have Powerwall 2.1, then I think it would be reasonable to want them to install it with the necessary breakers and wiring. It's possible they didn't notice the Powerwalls had changed, didn't read the updated instructions and just installed them the way they've installed Powerwall 2.0 units in the past.

It's also possible Powerwall 2.1 could've been shipped without totally updated 2.1 instructions. I recently bought several smart ceiling fans and was surprised to find two different versions when installing them. One fan has a wired RF switch and receiver. The other two fans of the same model came with wireless Bluetooth remotes and receivers. The instructions correctly mentioned the Bluetooth remotes/receivers but had several other instructions for different parts (such as how to install the light fixture) that had been updated to use special plugs instead of wire nuts.

How did you check your PW version number?

Ironically I have 60A disconnects but only 30A breakers...

Interesting the stickers say 2.1, 5kw. But if I read correctly, new FW update goes to 7.5K. Wonder how the sticker works then?

pwv.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV