Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exiting Autosteer, but Keep Cruise On?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to exit JUST the steering portion of Autopilot while keeping the TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control) activated?

I've had a few instances in full AP where I have wanted to take over the steering, but not wanted to disable the cruise control and speed setting that I've set.

Thanks!

It only turns off TAC if you touch the brake..
You can also push the cruise stalk forward to turn off TACC.
Really!? Okay, I need to go attempt this then. From my recollection my car disengaged everything when turning the wheel. I think I have AP2.5? (Built early Dec 17)
This functionality should work the same in AP2.5 as it does in AP1 and AP2

• Informative
Reactions: 1speed
I would love way to disengage autosteer (while keeping TACC on) without having to nudge the wheel.

I often nudge too hard so the car swerves a bit. This is a tad annoying when all I want is to take back steering control, e.g. before an intersection or roundabout.

Suggestion/request: To disengage AS while keeping TACC on; tap the AP stalk button, or pull the stalk once or twice towards you. Perhaps the most "natural" thing would be double pull, i.e. the same action that engages AS. @JonMc ?

Reactions: Cooker and The Duke
I typically do a quick push-forward then pull-back on the cruise control stalk. This disengages both, then reengages TACC. The problem with this is that the car will only re-engage TACC with the set speed equal to what you had it on before if your speed is at or near that speed. If your speed is quite a bit less than the set speed (like if you're in congested traffic), then the set speed upon re-engagement becomes speed limit + offset.

Another item that I've always found problematic is that disengaging autosteer by turning the wheel can leave you in an unexpected situation: If you're at your set cruising speed and disengage autosteer by turning the wheel, then TACC remains on, set to your same cruising speed, which is expected. But say you're in stop-and-go traffic, with autosteer engaged, and your set speed is well above your actual speed (e.g. set speed at the speed limit of 65 MPH, but actual traffic speed is stop-and-go). In this situation, what I've frequently seen this do is:

- Set speed = 65, actual speed = 10, autosteer engaged, following the car ahead.
- Car ahead changes lanes or exits.
- Autosteer attempts to follow that car, but I want to remain in the lane, so I steer the wheel to stay in the lane, disengaging autosteer.
- TACC remains on, set to 65 MPH.
- When the car gets out of the way due to his exit or lane change, now there's a large gap ahead to the next car.
- My car then accelerates rapidly.

I've gotten used to this and I expect it, but this can easily take a new Tesla driver by surprise. My recommendation (to @JonMc ) would be:

- If you turn the wheel to disengage autosteer, TACC remains on only if actual speed is within 20 MPH of set speed.
- If actual speed is more than 20 MPH below set speed, turning the wheel should disengage both autosteer and TACC.

I think this would be safer for the driver, especially those drivers who have limited autosteer experience.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cooker and lunitiks
Because of the numerous errors in the speed limit database - I don't trust pulling the cruise control stalk towards the driver and letting TACC automatically set the speed. A block from our house the speed limit is 40 and the software thinks it is 55, so pulling the stalk towards me sets TACC at 60. Similarly, there are highway stretches with 65 MPH speed limits where the software thinks the speed is 45.

Because of that, I end up manually setting the TACC speed (by pulling down on the stalk and then pulling up/down until reaching the desired speed). And I'll disable AutoSteer by quickly adjusting the steering enough to disengage AS, and keeping TACC activated. Unfortunately, this is a process I use periodically, because AP2 still has issues in lane keeping in some areas.