Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expectations: 2014 Model S P110+ SuperSport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I say something wrong? English is not my native language but I thought that the AWD Model S was going to be produced in 2014.
You asked if someone could not confirm it. We knew what you meant, but the way you phrased it would be like asking someone if they could say "I don't know anything about this".

no problem. Like I said, overall, your English is really good for not being your native language.

I'm pretty certain that Tesla has officially stated before that an AWD model S will come eventually, I'm also fairly certain they haven't discussed a timeline.
The larger battery pack is 100% pure speculation. The most that Tesla has stated is that there will "probably" be a larger pack of some form sometime. No capacity numbers, no timeline, and vague enough that it sounds like something they've never really put serious thought in to. My personal opinion is that there will eventually be a larger pack, but it won't come until Gigafactory for certain (if you're cell constrained you don't dream up ways of using up more cells per vehicle!) and will probably be dependent on energy density improvements, as others have stated, adding more cells (and more weight) to a Model S with an 85kWh pack you end up loosing a fair amount of your gain just due to the extra weight.

I'm not sure what the fascination is with AWD. It just adds weight and cost with little benefit. My Tesla did great in the snow this past winter and I wouldn't consider the added cost / weight penalty if it were offered. Even the owners in Norway had no issues with the current platform.

If we buy an X i would get it without AWD for the same reasons, but would opt for the larger battery.

I would consider a Super Sport if it lost weight and had launch control that enabled it to blow away all ICE performance cars. Frankly that could be a software update for launch control.

If we are dreaming and speculating I wish they offered a grid tied power solution so I could use my car as a whole house uninterrupted power supply to augment my solar array. Kinda like this. Www.Priups.com

I did see recently that the AWD is standard on the X. That and the funky doors/body style pushed my wife and to look at a second S to replace the van. Our kids are older now and we don't have the car pool stuff anymore with my daughter starting to drive - so their is really no benefit for a CUV for us.

If AWD adds a performance benefit - (0-60 in the low 2.X seconds), that would change my mind for the second S if offered with AWD.

A Performance Model S does 0-60 in the low FOUR-second range. Neither AWD nor any other magic pixie dust is going to shave two full seconds off that time. Even to drop that time into the low THREE-second range would require significantly more motor power than is currently available.

My guess is that an AWD P+ Model S would probably be in or near Roadster territory: 3.6 to 3.9 seconds from 0 to 60.

The P85 can already accelerate faster than the tires can handle, even with traction control on. With a full out burst of acceleration, the wheels squeak and there is even a little side to side motion. That's one reason I want AWD - twice as much rubber pulling the road! Also improved safety in rain and snow, improved regeneration and better more even tire wear to go along with all that.

Last edited:
Yea, funny you should mention that.......
It is really going to hurt if I have to shell out $50K for a 600 hp MS. Living in Florida, I can not imagine any need or AWD unless they kept the current motor in the rear and added another 175 hp up front.

WRT performance of AWD alone, there are some really crazy things you can do with torque steer and the like using AWD but nothing that I would get too terribly excited about in a 4600lb car.