Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Export" vs "Domestic" side mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heading back to the UK for a couple of weeks on the 25th. I’ll give my local service centre a call soon (are the numbers on the Tesla site somewhere?). Did you literally just say you have a US TM3 and want to buy these parts to pick up?:

Ext Mirror Glass, Premium, Export, LH M3 1130653-00-A
Ext Mirror Glass, Premium, Export, RH M3 1130654-00-A

Heading back to the UK for a couple of weeks on the 25th. I’ll give my local service centre a call soon (are the numbers on the Tesla site somewhere?). Did you literally just say you have a US TM3 and want to buy these parts to pick up?:

Something just doesn't add up to me, though.

In the USA (left-hand drive): Driver's side mirror is on the left. Passenger's side mirror is on the right. Only the right mirror is wide FOV.

In Europe (left-hand drive): Driver's side mirror on the left. Passenger's side mirror on the right. Only the left mirror is wide FOV, and not the right (passenger)? Unless both mirrors in Europe are wide FOV?

And then in the UK: Driver's side mirror is on the right. Passenger's side mirror is on the left. So which one is wide FOV there?

Correct me if any of that information is wrong. Just trying to figure out the different permutations.

Heh, I'm heading back to the UK for a few weeks from Seattle, soon, too. :D

Reactions: RB88
Ah. Ok. So then it would be best to just swap out the driver’s side mirror only?
It will accomplish the main intent. I got the passenger's side too just for the heck of it, and to have it without the warning text.

www.tesla.com/findus/list
I wasn't as upfront straightforward as that. I just kept it ambiguous, and said I just want the parts, will self-install. Left it up to them to interpret locale and address of my car when I gave them the last 6 digits of my VIN. But they didn't ask me about the foreign situation anyways in the end.

Same question. Does it mean we only need the driver side (left hand drive)? There are absolutely no difference with the passenger side other than the warning label?

Passenger side FOV looks same to me. Really is just the warning label difference.

Something just doesn't add up to me, though.

In the USA (left-hand drive): Driver's side mirror is on the left. Passenger's side mirror is on the right. Only the right mirror is wide FOV.

In Europe (left-hand drive): Driver's side mirror on the left. Passenger's side mirror on the right. Only the left mirror is wide FOV, and not the right (passenger)? Unless both mirrors in Europe are wide FOV?

And then in the UK: Driver's side mirror is on the right. Passenger's side mirror is on the left. So which one is wide FOV there?

Correct me if any of that information is wrong. Just trying to figure out the different permutations.
USA: Correct. Driver's=Left=Flat. Passenger's=Right=Wide
Europe: Both mirrors are wide FOV.

Just these two, no other combination/permutation. That's why it is really just Domestic LH/RH and Export LH/RH part numbers. Simple as that!

Good luck everyone, and safe travels, and happy holidays!

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
It will accomplish the main intent. I got the passenger's side too just for the heck of it, and to have it without the warning text.

I wasn't as upfront straightforward as that. I just kept it ambiguous, and said I just want the parts, will self-install. Left it up to them to interpret locale and address of my car when I gave them the last 6 digits of my VIN. But they didn't ask me about the foreign situation anyways in the end.

Passenger side FOV looks same to me. Really is just the warning label difference.

USA: Correct. Driver's=Left=Flat. Passenger's=Right=Wide
Europe: Both mirrors are wide FOV.

Just these two, no other combination/permutation. That's why it is really just Domestic LH/RH and Export LH/RH part numbers. Simple as that!

Good luck everyone, and safe travels, and happy holidays!

Ahhhh. There’s the (bolded by me) bit that is key. I wonder why the USA doesn’t do wide FOV for both sides? I’ll pick up the left-side mirror in the UK. Cheers!

These certainly are nice.

But I have no problem with the current mirrors if you use the "trick" for adjusting mirrors to view your blindspot.

Most people are told to adjust their mirrors so you can just barely see the back quarterpanel of your car.

This is still true. The trick is, when sitting in your seat slide your upper body / head sideways toward the mirror side you are adjusting, until when you are looking straight ahead, you are looking down the edge of the steering wheel. (Left mirror = left edge, right mirror = right edge).

Then in this position adjust it so you can barely see the quarter panel. When you move back your mirrors will have view of your blind spot.

it works to a certain extent. You get rid of the traditional blind spot, but then you create another - right by the sides of your car. This becomes a huge issue with bicyclists and motorcyclists especially when they are lane splitting (legally or not, most of them do it everywhere). Its much better to be able to see the sides of your car AND the traditional blind spot in one spot , especially when the model 3 has terrible rear and side viewing. I went with the Suma side mirrors and they work great in seeing everything. If the OUS side mirrors have similar or better viewing angles as the Suma, I would go with them since dimming would still work, if you need them

Reactions: TomatoOne
I tried ordering European insert from UK service center, their reply was:
The VIN does not relate to a vehicle that is on the UK or European Market, so this will prevent us from proceeding with your order.
Apparently they had their policy changed since last year :(

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1 and WilliamG
Old thread but want to chime in about the SUMA mirrors vs. Euro. There is a dramatic increase in field of view with SUMA over the Euro.
I purchased the the non-tinted versions and am VERY happy. I'm literally almost never checking blind spots since the angle is so wide.
Bonus: the passenger side mirror has no etching :) (US spec)

Old thread but want to chime in about the SUMA mirrors vs. Euro. There is a dramatic increase in field of view with SUMA over the Euro.
I purchased the the non-tinted versions and am VERY happy. I'm literally almost never checking blind spots since the angle is so wide.
Bonus: the passenger side mirror has no etching :) (US spec)
Why do you have both Suma and Euro?

I just purchased 2 of the driver's side Euro mirrors in Switzerland. No problem buying 2 driver side mirrors or not buying as a pair. I tried to get the mirror for the model Y too but Model Ys are not in Europe yet so they don't have them.

I just purchased 2 of the driver's side Euro mirrors in Switzerland. No problem buying 2 driver side mirrors or not buying as a pair. I tried to get the mirror for the model Y too but Model Ys are not in Europe yet so they don't have them.

Did the service center give you any troubles using a US VIN to buy mirrors from Switzerland? (Or did you have a friend with a local VIN?)

Did the service center give you any troubles using a US VIN to buy mirrors from Switzerland? (Or did you have a friend with a local VIN?)

Not at all. I was going to get them back in March before I came back to the US but they had to order them and there wasn't enough time. They said just schedule a service through the app(we have a model S here through my wife's work) when we get back to Switzerland so I did. No questions asked and used my model 3 US VIN.

This mirror looks to have both dimming and heated feature so it will match my current one. Not that I really care about the dimming feature since I have 20% tints all around..

Can anyone post a Euro vs Suma side by side?
Here's a North American vs UK version on our X:
IMG_20200309_115255073_HDR.jpg