Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exporting at 15p - Help please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PITA

Model 3 Performance
Sep 2, 2021
West Midlands, UK
Does anybody know if a SolarEdge Inverter can be setup to export only?

Without feeding the house, or Powerwalls?

I want to fill my Powerwalls overnight at 7.5p... and use this storage for the house.

But every single kWh of Solar to export to the Grid at 15p

Any ideas how I could do this?

Reactions: GSP
When I set the tariff up on my Tesla Gateway, it automatically started doing exactly that.
Charges the battery fully overnight then feeds the house on the battery during the day and all the solar production gets exported.

Can you show your configuration settings please.

At the moment, my Solar goes straight to feeding the house, or battery.

Screenshot_20230908_073954_Tesla.jpg

Here’s mine.
IMG_3831.png

Ignore the tariff name - I’m on Intelligent, and I also haven’t adjusted the peak rate to match current value. SEG is with Scottish Power, though looking to switch to Octopus Outgoing.

Powerwall charges to 100% overnight, house is supplied by a mix of solar and PW during the day, with a good chunk of solar going to the grid.

I set octopus intelligent to finish charging by 5:30, and usually plug the car in before I go to bed (8-10pm). 99% of the time it charges during the cheap hours which I’ve set up in my powerwall, occasionally it’ll kick in instantly.
If it does and it depletes the battery in the couple of hours before the standard overnight rate starts (11:30pm) im getting cheap electric anyway because it’s an intelligent period and I don’t mind using that in the house.
Because I switch IO off in the day though in my octopus app (to use up the sunshine with my zappi) sometimes if I only need a slight top up on a night I’ll leave it off and just do a night time boost charge from the charger.

Not signed up to the 15p yet, because I’m getting an average/low FiT rate from E.on and I don’t want to miss out on the payments from this weeks sunshine whilst I swap over after forfeiting the FiT. I will be doing it on Monday though then it’s all in place.

Reactions: Chemist and YYY2022
How are you powerwall owners getting around the battery being dumped when 'intelligent' charging?
No straightforward automatic way of solving this problem, AFAIK.
Keep an eye on the charging slots and if you happen to have any outside the 23:30-05:30 times then adjust the Powerwall’s backup reserve manually to prevent it discharging to the car.

It’s a PITA (no, not you), but I don’t think I ever got an “extra slot” yet so I guess it’s unlikely to be a common occurrence.

Reactions: Chemist and YYY2022
How are you powerwall owners getting around the battery being dumped when 'intelligent' charging?
I wrote a simple program to monitor a couple of Teslamate’s MQTT messages to determine if the wife’s car is at home and charging outside the core offpeak period and, If so, adjust the Powerwall’s standby reserve to 100%. The reserve is dropped back to normal when car stops charging.

Powerwall control is done using a Python script and TeslaPy.

Reactions: phil4 and Chemist
I guess it may be time for more people to email Greg Jackson ( [email protected] ) to ask about the possibility of integrating the Powerwalls into IO. That would be perfect (and probably help grid balancing even more)…
I did that about a year ago and the answer was that no integration was being planned but then they also said they couldn’t give Outgoing tariffs to IO clients and they changed their mind about that…

Reactions: phil4
I guess it may be time for more people to email Greg Jackson ( [email protected] ) to ask about the possibility of integrating the Powerwalls into IO. That would be perfect (and probably help grid balancing even more)…
I did that about a year ago and the answer was that no integration was being planned but then they also said they couldn’t give Outgoing tariffs to IO clients and they changed their mind about that…
You'd be far better emailing Elon Musk, since it's their API that they won't release. Nothing to do with Octopus.

Reactions: ACarneiro