Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended test drive. Where are the Superchargers At Charnock Richard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where are the Superchargers At Charnock Richard?

If you are still charging you are in deep do-do ... :) so my advice is WAY too late.

Usually the Map Pin on the dashboard SatNav is in the right place. I press[+] to zoom right in so I can figure out where abouts in the carpark they are - the chargers can be in, for example, the Carpark of a Hotel attached to a Services.

In such "minutia navigation" situations it can also help to toggle he map to Satellite - so that you can get a feeling for where there are buildings etc. to figure out some landmarks to navigate by.

All in all that's quite a cool feature for a dashboard SatNav IME, albeit that I expect that on my PC and mobile devices ...

... hope you are having a good time burning around the countryside? :)

• Informative
Reactions: M4guy and Penfold
If you are still charging you are in deep do-do ... :) so my advice is WAY too late.

Usually the Map Pin on the dashboard SatNav is in the right place. I press[+] to zoom right in so I can figure out where abouts in the carpark they are - the chargers can be in, for example, the Carpark of a Hotel attached to a Services.

In such "minutia navigation" situations it can also help to toggle he map to Satellite - so that you can get a feeling for where there are buildings etc. to figure out some landmarks to navigate by.

All in all that's quite a cool feature for a dashboard SatNav IME, albeit that I expect that on my PC and mobile devices ...

... hope you are having a good time burning around the countryside? :)

Thanks for the great tips, unfortunately i had already charged up :(

Yes had a great drive although i was using it for work, so that got in the way a little grrrrrrr. It handles very well and it certainly quick (i was in the 75D)

Where did you get the test drive from? i had a 100D from Manchester south. Very helpful.

I had the test drive from the Knutsford branch buddy :) they were very helpful too

I'm itching to hear:

How did it go? :)

Very well, i drove to Charnock Richard services again in the morning to give it a near full charge (it was a 75D i had and gave me 240 of range) I then headed to Shrewsbury and did various stops, it was 3-5C all day so not very warm (worse for the batteries and range obviously) and when i set it to take me back to knutsford it told me id arrive with 5% battery and i would have to stay below 60mph.

My brother joined me for the day (he has a BMW I3 REX) so we stopped in Shrewsbury at Ecotricity charge point to top it up on the way, sadly we had no ChadeMO adapter so only a slow charge speed (although it was a free vend) so 20-30mins later we were on our way again.

I'd say i would have got 200 miles range out if, especially as i learn to regenerate more efficiently. Also, i was doing 75mph on the motorways and putting my foot down on occasion so overall i am very impressed with its range.
I'll be getting one 100%, albeit a 85D or P85D so i wonder how the range would be on those in comparison, i'm led to believe it would charge slightly quicker too having the bigger battery capacity so thats something to consider.

I'm literally on the verge of putting a deposit down on a P85D in red on the used Inventory, but i've just noticed it hasn't got the tech package which is quite important to me due to the following options

-Sat navigation (love it on the odometer cluster)
-Electric folding side mirrors
-Autopilot steering and guided cruise control

The other features like the power liftgate and led lights i can live without, although id obviously prefer to have those too.

I'm even considering this one now.....

Used Inventory | Tesla
The only things it is missing for me is the next gen seats and it’s not a P85D, I’m sadly limited to £60k so it might well be a case of tough titty!

I know I can sort the red calipers and carbon spoiler myself at a later date.

A few photos......

Last edited:
Nice, glad you enjoyed it :) regarding your purchase, it depends how quickly you want one as you should get all you want for the money you can afford but it might be a slight waiting game which I know if the difficult part :)

You should call up Tesla and ask if any of these could be reduced if you purchased before the end of the year ;) always worth an ask even if its a no - unfortunately probably a no but worth asking none the less

Used Inventory | Tesla
Used Inventory | Tesla

If this is the red one you mention, has Tesla stated it doesn't have all the bits you want as in the blurb it states mirrors, auto pilot, tech pack etc.?
Used Inventory | Tesla

Nice, glad you enjoyed it :) regarding your purchase, it depends how quickly you want one as you should get all you want for the money you can afford but it might be a slight waiting game which I know if the difficult part :)

You should call up Tesla and ask if any of these could be reduced if you purchased before the end of the year ;) always worth an ask even if its a no - unfortunately probably a no but worth asking none the less

Used Inventory | Tesla
Used Inventory | Tesla

If this is the red one you mention, has Tesla stated it doesn't have all the bits you want as in the blurb it states mirrors, auto pilot, tech pack etc.?
Used Inventory | Tesla

I've already asked regarding price reduction to no avail unfortunately :(

However neither of the those P85D's have the tech package (so no sat nav etc)

The red 85D you listed above isn't the one, its a P85D (its been reserved+removed from sale for 24hr for me hence not being on the inventory)

I have been considering the red 85D you posted or the white 85D i posted too (posted again below for clarification)

Used Inventory | Tesla
Used Inventory | Tesla

I will wait for the right car, as i am in no real rush but obviously the sooner the better and id also be saving £5-6k not getting a P model.

Decisions!

don't they realise its almost Christmas :) they could knock a few K off - so mean

I know its back to this one again:

Used Inventory | Tesla

but you could add some 21" wheels for a couple of K and still be slightly under budget :) so annoying that they could swap some 21" wheels of one of the others, even still charge a bit for them, but enable you to get all that you want :)

don't they realise its almost Christmas :) they could knock a few K off - so mean

I know its back to this one again:

Used Inventory | Tesla

but you could add some 21" wheels for a couple of K and still be slightly under budget :) so annoying that they could swap some 21" wheels of one of the others, even still charge a bit for them, but enable you to get all that you want :)

Haha maybe I should remind them that xmas is a selfless time of year. :)

Yeh, still tempting that one! No 21” wheels and no next generation seats plus not the colour I’d want really, however I’d make do :)

I’d want the car right and all the costs to be through the finance unfortunately, I’m getting married in July so I wouldn’t want a £2k outlay really :(

If they would sort the wheels it would be hard to say no to!

I'd say i would have got 200 miles range out if, especially as i learn to regenerate more efficiently

I think you would be doing well to get 200 real world miles out of a 75 with temperature 5C-ish ... my P90D range is 220 real-world miles .

At 100% charge my 90 battery shows Ideal=245 and Estimated=230 (figures from TeslaFi for latest 100% charge @ 32,000 miles)

I suggest you need to deduct 20 miles from max range [when planning a trip] "contingency" - obviously this is less %age the bigger the battery.

'll be getting one 100%, albeit a 85D or P85D so i wonder how the range would be on those in comparison

There must be some real-world-figures for each battery somewhere on this forum ...

.. but just comparing actual, available, usable battery:

75/75D – 75 kWh total capacity, 72.6 kWh usable
85/P85/85D/P85D – ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable

would make the 85 usable battery 7% more ...

i'm led to believe it would charge slightly quicker too having the bigger battery capacity so thats something to consider.

That MAY be a "maybe". The 75 is newer chemistry, and I've seen some graphs that suggest it charges at max-rate for longer ... but at worst the difference will be much-of-a-muchness. They all charge to 80% in the same time (give or take), so you are right that a bigger battery gets more range in that time.

Supercharging from 10%-70% is fastest, 70%-80% still pretty fast, and then slows down significantly to 90% and slows down to about the same as a home charger 90% - 100%. So if you have a choice of Superchargers stop at the one furthest from you, by which time your battery will be lower SoC, and you can charge "more" at the MAX rate.

I don't think it makes any difference if charging with Type-2, not sure about charging with CHAdeMO above 80% - CHAdeMO is only 50% the speed of Supercharger at best, so may go "full speed [for a CAHdeMO]" above 80%

I expect @arg would have experience and know the answer to that :)

I pulled some stats for November. That included a trip "Up North" for the weekend, about 190 miles each way (No destination charger available where we were staying). I was driving to conserve range (Range mode = ON, cruise set to 73 MPH until no concern about range-to-destination [on the return leg]).

Outbound:
100% 100.5Miles 15C 310Wh/mi - Cruise = 73 MPH - Some slow periods for traffic/road works
Arrive at 62% and Supercharge to 92%
92% 89.7Miles 12.5C 320Wh/mi - Cruise = 73 MPH - Some slow periods for traffic/road works
Arrive at 57%

Actual range #1 = (100/(100-62)) * 100.5 = 264 range
Actual range #2 = (100/(92-57)) * 89.7 = 256 range

Return:
45% 94.8Miles 10C 320Wh/mi - Cruise = 73 MPH then near Supercharger 80 MPH.
Arrive at 8% and Supercharge to 80% (we must have lingered to eat!!)
80% 103.5Miles 10C 361Wh/mi - Cruise = 80 MPH
Arrive at 35%

Actual range #1 = (100/(45-8)) * 94.8 = 256 range
Actual range #2 = (100/(80-35)) * 103.5 = 230 range

Compare that long-journey energy use with overall average for that month (November) 390 Wh/Mile = 210 miles range (car only used for 2.5 weeks, 1,080 miles)

Daily commute is 45 miles (each way), generally 360 - 420 Wm/Mile [in November] - no range concern so heater on "generous", also battery cold at start of both the Out and the Return legs. On a cold morning the Battery heater is on for the first 10 minutes of the trip - that is significant if your day invoices stopping (without charging) for long enough for the battery to get cold (in Winter). Even plugging into a 13 AMP socket, at each stop, would help a fair bit.

My brother joined me for the day

So what did he think, eh? :)

I don't think it makes any difference if charging with Type-2,

Yes, with Type2 you are nearly always limited by the charger or the chargepoint and the battery type doesn't affect things.

(general rule here: there's about a dozen factors affecting charge rate, but it's whichever one works out the slowest in your particular circumstance that matters).

If buying CPO, quite a lot of the early cars will have the 'dual charger' option since there was no CHAdeMO adapter (and only 1 UK supercharger) at that time, so a lot of us bought it as insurance. Also, all pre-facelift cars supplied in the UK were in fact dual-charger whether you ordered it or not, with a software lock - I don't know if Tesla are routinely unlocking them before selling as CPO.

Dual-charger cars can charge on Type2 at up to 22kW if the chargepoint can support it - faster than today's cars.

not sure about charging with CHAdeMO above 80% - CHAdeMO is only 50% the speed of Supercharger at best, so may go "full speed [for a CHAdeMO]" above 80%

The larger-battery-is-faster effect applies to a slightly greater extent when using CHAdeMO, since the common designs of CHAdeMO charger have a limited current rather than a limited power (as Superchargers do), so the charging power is proportional to the battery voltage when not limited by other factors. The larger battery cars have a higher battery voltage and so charge faster - quite a big difference between the old '60 and '85 ('60 about 70% as fast), but not such a big difference between '75 and '90 (about 85%), and I believe no difference at all between '90 and '100 ('100 has extra cells in each module, parallel, rather than extra modules in series).

As you say, since CHAdeMO is slower in the first place, this is likely to be the limiting factor most of the time (up to about 75% full).

Another side effect of this is that the charge rate is higher at 70% than it is at 0%. So if you need a modest CHAdeMO top-up (which is what it's most useful for), then you are better to get it relatively early in the journey rather than when close to empty - the exact opposite of the advice for Superchargers.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
On a cold morning the Battery heater is on for the first 10 minutes of the trip - that is significant if your day invoices stopping (without charging) for long enough for the battery to get cold (in Winter). Even plugging into a 13 AMP socket, at each stop, would help a fair b

@WannabeOwner how can you tell the battery heater is/has been on? I’ve seen an icon on TeslaFi that might indicate it, or is it a case of limited regen = battery heater on?

A routine day for me would be 4 short drives of 4.5 miles each way, so I have limited regen for the whole time. Average Wh/m yesterday was 527 o_O

how can you tell the battery heater is/has been on?

I can see it in either TeslaLog or TeslaFi ... don't know if there are other ways via car or APP maybe?

In TeslaFi click on the Journey, the "raw data" is displayed. Its a column in that data grid/table. If you don't see it there is an EDIT button which lets you configure which columns of data are displayed.

4 short drives of 4.5 miles each way,

I don't see Battery Heater coming on until I have driven the first few miles (not sure why that is), but might mean that 4 mile journey is too short?