Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty Going Up July 3, Will You Buy Now?

Will you buy the Extended Warrranty for $2500?

• YES INDEED!! ABSO-TESLA-LUTLEY!

Votes: 65 52.8%
  • NOPE! Nada! Negative

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Already Have it, I'm a Player!

Votes: 16 13.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Annual service is not required in order to obtain warranty service under the ESA. George Blankenship has confirmed this via email to several members here and over at Teslamotors.com forums. So the true cost of the ESA is $2,500 and you can have the vehicle serviced as little or as much as you wish.

Annual service is not required in order to obtain warranty service under the ESA. George Blankenship has confirmed this via email to several members here and over at Teslamotors.com forums. So the true cost of the ESA is $2,500 and you can have the vehicle serviced as little or as much as you wish.

Thanks for clarifying.
I got the ESA yesterday, still have about 2 more weeks to decide on one of the Pre-paid Service Plans.

Yea, I bought mine at the last minute yesterday as well. I was not expecting it and only heard about it through an email from the local Tesla enthusiasts group. Caught me at a bad time cash flow wise as I had less than an hour to make it happen. So far, Tesla is batting about 20% with me on service and communication. They have disappointed me at every interaction, with two exceptions. I never buy extended warranties, but I bought this one. I think this is cheap insurance for a brand new car company and brand new untested technology. I expect to keep the car for the duration (I had my last one for 13 years) and although I am very pleased with my Tesla to date you don't really know until you have 100K miles behind you and can look back and say, this was a reliable (or not) car.

I bought as vin 520 my car has had numerous problems and I plan to keep it until either I or it no longer drives. A car is not like a TV, it has moving parts that can and eventually will fail. Tesla is the only supplier and controls costs. Repairs on my car:
Second charger
Door handle
12 volt battery (inexpensive)
Fuse (cheap)
Steering wheel clunk (just tighten)
Loud AC
Pano creak
Concern about windshield crack
Early car by new manufacturer anxiety

AmpedRealtor, you are correct that you do not have to buy the service plan to get the warranty (ESA) plan. However, some items are excluded by the ESA (e.g., the shocks of the air suspension system), which are covered (per a communication from Tesla HQ sent to the Rockville Service Center and me) by the service plan. Specifically, that communication stated that shocks (considered to be a wear item) are not covered by the ESA but would be covered under the service plan.

I'm pissed off about this as it should have been communicated directly to each Tesla owner. I shouldn't have to search a forum or have to log into the Tesla website to find out after the fact. I did not know this increase was coming or I would have bought it. I'm on a tight budget with this car and didn't need this unexpected extra expense.

Yeah, I'm kind of pissed about this too. I had no idea they were going to raise the price on the extended warranty.
I hadn't bought it yet as my Tesla service guys advised me to wait since I had until the warranty expired.

I like my car, but I must admit I've been a little disappointed with the service. It seems that everything Tesla should be communicating I get from this website instead of from them. One of my friends just randomly went in last week and was given new floor mats. Am I getting floor mats?

I shouldn't have to check a tesla club website to know what's going on with my car

Yeah, I'm kind of pissed about this too. I had no idea they were going to raise the price on the extended warranty.
I hadn't bought it yet as my Tesla service guys advised me to wait since I had until the warranty expired.

I like my car, but I must admit I've been a little disappointed with the service. It seems that everything Tesla should be communicating I get from this website instead of from them. One of my friends just randomly went in last week and was given new floor mats. Am I getting floor mats?

I shouldn't have to check a tesla club website to know what's going on with my car

When you go in for service they will give you the new floor mats. It's a service item. There should definitely have been an e-mail sent out to everyone about the price increase.

Steering wheel clunk (just tighten)

The early "just tightening" fixes they tried for the steering wheel clunk doesn't work. It will come back. The problem is actually pretty simple - two different metal types are grinding on each other (a nut a bolt or whatever the thing is bolted too, I can't remember). Tightening it won't work as eventually the two metal types will loosen up again or something. Lead tech told me it was a design error - having 2 different metal types grinding on each other will cause this popping and would eventually lead to corrosion. The new "real fix" is using a shim or washer in between the two different metal types. I haven't gone back yet to get this shim/washer.

- - - Updated - - -

btw, more details in this thread about the clicking - http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...lick-quot-at-stop-and-low-speed-normal-or-not some good pics in there too

I'm pissed off about this as it should have been communicated directly to each Tesla owner. I shouldn't have to search a forum or have to log into the Tesla website to find out after the fact. I did not know this increase was coming or I would have bought it. I'm on a tight budget with this car and didn't need this unexpected extra expense.

We need to get used to it, though; from the response I got, it sounds like they will not necessarily be pre-announcing price increases. I think we were spoiled with the end-of-year increase in the base Model S price and presumed we'd always get a heads up--at least, I expected it based on that.