Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty Going Up July 3, Will You Buy Now?

Will you buy the Extended Warrranty for $2500?

• YES INDEED!! ABSO-TESLA-LUTLEY!

Votes: 65 52.8%
  • NOPE! Nada! Negative

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Already Have it, I'm a Player!

Votes: 16 13.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you hit the 4 years before mileage then the extended starts at the 4 years. If you hit the mileage first then your extended starts at that time and goes to either 8 years or 100,000 which ever comes first. So as an example for myself who will probable put 10,000 miles a year, I will hit the first 4 years at 40k and my second 4 years starts. I'd I continue to drive the 10k per year I will go to the full 8 years and end up with 80k. I tend to keep my cars awhile, it remains to be seen how long I will have the Model S. it seems to me good insurance for 8 years at $2500. I was going to wait like most of us until my original warranty was going to expire, but will purchase it before the July 3rd deadline.

Making that even more complicated...they have not yet changed any documents, but ownership has been telling owners like me that if we bought pre-paid service plans, we don't have to pay attention to mileage, and can just bring it in once a year. I fully expect my ESA to be valid if I do that!

Even more confusing is that one sentence said we don't even have to bring it in every year, although I was unable to get them to reply with any clarification on that.

Yeah, clarity is not their forte.

Not happy about it, but I've spent $2k on a single repair visit for more than one ICE car, haven't we all?

So in that light does Tesla's $2500 price seem reasonable, even with a $600/yr annual maintenance visit?

I must very lucky as i have owned 6 ICE cars and have driven them all to over 100,000 and never had a repai over $100. But then i have alway done my own maintenance as well. But if i were to get a Model S i would likely spring as this is all new technology.

SnirkyD, you beat me to the same question. Since I wrote it up already here it is...

I am on the fence about getting this extended warranty. I was hoping I had more time. Any way, my concern is that Part C of the fine print says"

"To maintain the validity of this Vehicle ESA, You must follow correct operations procedures and have Your Vehicle serviced as recommended by Tesla. If requested, proof of required service, including receipts showing date and mileage of the Vehicle at the time of service, must be presented before any repairs under this Vehicle ESA commence. Aervice within 1,600 kilometers and/or 30 days of Tesla’s recommended intervals shall be considered compliant with the terms of this Vehicle ESA. Upon customary and reasonable notice of the occurrence of a Failure, You shall protect the Vehicle from further damage, regardless of whether or not such Failure is covered under this Vehicle ESA. Any operation of the Vehicle that results in further damage shall be considered Your failure to protect the Vehicle and shall not be covered under this Vehicle ESA. "

So I wasn't planning on getting the yearly service @ $600 a pop, because I can check my own wipers and tires etc, and figured every other year would be fine for major components. Tesla specifically said we didn't have to do an annual service at all, and they would still honor the initial 4 year warranty. Does this mean I am forced to do the annual service if I want to have the ESA? The text of the document seems to say so. It also says elswhere that nobody can change the text of the document, so even if they say it is ok now, will it still be honored?

I emailed this question to Tesla, but perhaps others here know? If I get a response, I'll post here.

You know that any car manufacturer has to cover themselves, I believe what they are saying is do not bring your car in for warranty repairs unless you take care of it properly. I know this is a tough concept for some, but having been in the automotive field I have seen some completely ridiculous demands for warranty repairs by people that have not had any consideration for maintaining there vehicle. I do not think Tesla will be looking for any way to get out of doing a warranty repair, they are covering themselves from liability do to the above.

If I purchased the 4 year pre-paid service plan before they made annual service optional, can I get a refund on that (decline or cancel the pre-paid plan) and instead purchase the extended warranty? More and more I'm questioning what value I get for the former, but with new technology, I think the investment in $2500 that would presumably cover the electronics, brakes, and suspension would be worth it. Happy to pay for my own tire rotations and wiper replacements.

Asked another way, I don't think it's too late to get a refund and/or credit for having purchased the pre-paid service plan before Elon's Easter announcement. I have yet to take my car in for any kind of servicing.

So I wasn't planning on getting the yearly service @ $600 a pop, because I can check my own wipers and tires etc, and figured every other year would be fine for major components. Tesla specifically said we didn't have to do an annual service at all, and they would still honor the initial 4 year warranty. Does this mean I am forced to do the annual service if I want to have the ESA? The text of the document seems to say so. It also says elswhere that nobody can change the text of the document, so even if they say it is ok now, will it still be honored?

I emailed this question to Tesla, but perhaps others here know? If I get a response, I'll post here.

What's the original warranty say? I bet it is similar, despite Tesla's clarification. I believe what they said applies to the ESA as well as the original warranty. Just a guess--looking forward to any clarification you receive and post here--but I'm not concerned.

(I'm still debating whether we should get it...whether I want to try to convince my other half that we should get it...etc....)

- - - Updated - - -

The number of items that are excluded is quite long.

The only things that concern me are (a) certain corrosion/paint defects issues, (b) squeaks/rattles/leaks/wind noise (yet aren't they repairing some of these under warranty anyway?), and the long "other parts" list--yet, again, aren't they repairing the sudden crack/shatter windshield issues under warranty? I mean, the "other parts" list is long, and, well, maybe they'll get more conservative over time (it sounds like they're way too liberal in applying the warranty to non-warranty things now). . . .

- - - Updated - - -

BTW the extended warranty comes to 5 cents a mile, if you drive 50,000 miles/4 years exactly after your first one runs out. Or that's $625/year. $52/month. $1.70/day. I'm not sure why I did this math; it doesn't help me determine if it seems like a good idea or not. ;-)

My thoughts exactly. The items I'd most want the extended warranty for are excluded...make sure you read the fine print!

Wow, really? What is included?

Edit/update: I just read through the agreement and didn't see anywhere mentioning that a failure of the air suspension is not included in the warranty. Where are people concluding that? There is a reference to suspenion *alignment* not being included, and shocks are also not included, but no reasonable person would conclude that this language would exclude a problem akin to a failure with the air suspension as a whole. An alignment is not the same thing as a failure or defect.

As the air suspension would be a major part of my decision calculus, can those who believe that it is excluded shed further light on the basis for that?

Last edited:
Wow, really? What is included?

Edit/update: I just read through the agreement and didn't see anywhere mentioning that a failure of the air suspension is not included in the warranty. Where are people concluding that? There is a reference to suspenion *alignment* not being included, and shocks are also not included, but no reasonable person would conclude that this language would exclude a problem akin to a failure with the air suspension as a whole. An alignment is not the same thing as a failure or defect.

As the air suspension would be a major part of my decision calculus, can those who believe that it is excluded shed further light on the basis for that?

This was posted on the other thread.....

I asked whether the air suspension was covered by the extended warranty. Lenny at the Rockville Service Center asked headquarters, and got a reply (which he forwarded to me) that if you have the extended warranty and years 5-8 of the service plan, the air suspension is covered.

I was putting this off till Tesla indicated a price increase. Although I skipped buying the service plans, I think the extended warranty is a good idea.

Just bought the plan (feels okay too to boost Tesla's cash reserves at the end of Q2). Got to cover those inevitable repairs to the door handles at the 7-years-and-11-month mark ;)