Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new car (4 years) warranty for my 2017 MS is about to run out. I am wondering whether I should get the extended warranty [$2,600 for 2 years or $4,600 for 4 years].

1. The drive train and battery warranty that comes with the car is for 8 years.
2. My AP HW has been upgraded from 2.0 to 3.0
2. I will be doing the MCU 1 to MCU 2 upgrade.

The question I have is are there anything that will likely to break and cost more than $2,000 to repair.

I'll probably never use my 4 yr extended warranty but after the way Tesla has been performing with customer service the last few years I decide I would hedge my bets. I am hoping that having an extended warranty will garner me a bit more cred, but that is probably wishful thinking. Also I think they really don't know the long term situation of these cars so I decided to take the gamble in that regard too.

Odds are that I just wasted the money but ...

Reactions: FlatSix911
...The question I have is are there anything that will likely to break and cost more than $2,000 to repair...

In a letter to NHTSA, Tesla claims its MCU only lasts 5 to 6 years.

"During the Preliminary Evaluation phase of NHTSA’s investigation, and as NHTSA acknowledged in its letter, Tesla presented the agency with evidence that the eMMC flash memory device is rated for 3,000 Program/Erase (“P/E”) cycles, which is an industry standard. While the wear rate is heavily influenced by the active use of the center display system, even more so when the vehicle is in drive or charging, given a reasonable average daily use of 1.4 cycles, the expected life would be 5-6 years. NHTSA has not presented any evidence to suggest that this expected life is outside industry norms or that the eMMC flash memory device itself does not comport with that average lifetime estimate."

What else that Tesla knows that we don't?

Air Suspension for $4,000
Air Conditioning used to cost $4,000 in 2016 but decreased to $3,800 in 2018
Cabin Heater for $3,000 in 2017
Half Shaft $3,480 in 2017
Control Arm $3,300 (actually needs $7,100 for proper repairs but a minimum of $3,300 would do temporarily)
12V DC Converter & battery $3,342
Onboard charger $2,800 in 2019

It's now 2021, those above prices might get cheaper as time goes by.

It's not unusual that your A/C would die in summer then heater would die in winter and that would easily be $7,000 for 1 year. If you are do-it-yourself, you might be able to fix those above issues for a very small fraction of the posted prices: A $2,800 Onboard Charger could be fixed with a $20 fuse. Same with A/C & Heater, it could just be a very cheap fuse in the AC-to-DC or DC-to-DC (I am not sure what the terminology is) converter module.

Last edited:
Extended Warranties, like the insurance on your house, is a bet you hope you lose and never use. After seeing what happens to Teslas on this site, I likely will not keep my Tesla out of warranty, and will either buy the extended warranty or trade when the time comes. It seems after 8 years, you are taking a chance of your car being totalled by needing to replace the battery. However, after 8 years the car is likely depreciated far enough that the chance that it won't happen is worth the gamble. The car may last many more years, or not -- and that is OK.

I'll probably never use my 4 yr extended warranty but after the way Tesla has been performing with customer service the last few years I decide I would hedge my bets. I am hoping that having an extended warranty will garner me a bit more cred, but that is probably wishful thinking. Also I think they really don't know the long term situation of these cars so I decided to take the gamble in that regard too.

Odds are that I just wasted the money but ...
I had this wishful thinking, too. Suffered through 4-5 service visits for a failing MCU that they always refused to cover. Finally paid for the MCU2 upgrade myself.

don’t expect anything. Or rather, expect nothing.

The new car (4 years) warranty for my 2017 MS is about to run out. I am wondering whether I should get the extended warranty [$2,600 for 2 years or $4,600 for 4 years].

1. The drive train and battery warranty that comes with the car is for 8 years.
2. My AP HW has been upgraded from 2.0 to 3.0
2. I will be doing the MCU 1 to MCU 2 upgrade.

The question I have is are there anything that will likely to break and cost more than $2,000 to repair.
Buy it! For my 2013 Model S P85 my last service (June 2021) had an estimate of $2200 - replacing 12V battery, water in tail light, metal clanking sound from rear axle, stuck side view mirror. My cost $200. Since having the extended warranty I've saved over $8000 which included a drive unit. Having the extended warranty means that any non-wear problems can be fixed for only the deductible. Also if necessary you get a free loaner. I will definitely get anything that requires fixing before it expires. Tesla service prices are similar to any high luxury car brands.

Tesla Extended Warranty price has increased this month ($250 increase for 4 year agreement).

Model SPurchased within 180 Days 1Purchased after 180 Days 2
2-Year Extended Service Agreement$2,100$2,600
4-Year Extended Service Agreement$4,250$4,750

I'm on the same boat. Should I or should I not?
My original warranty will run out soon. I have the MCU2 update.
$4750 is a lot. I have 24k miles on it but mileage does not mean much for possible problems that might arise soon.
Email me to discuss your options with XCare. [email protected] and check out unbiased reviews/chatter on this site at X-Care Experiences

Reactions: asterothe
Extended warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on.
Yes its possible something could break and you'd be out a few grand but the odds are more likely you'll be out a few grand and nothing will break.

My warranty expired in 2018 and so far the things that have broken were:

louvers for the A/C, $650 buy parts from tesla install in driveway.
2 door handles $175 ea, bought kit from evtuning costs more than the $5 part that broke but is a measure of preventative maintenance so nothing in the handle assembly breaks again.
Charge port door sensor $80 part and tesla wont sell it to me so it cost $100 for them to install it.
The seals for the front motor outputs $6 for new seals from tesla

That's it so I'd say it is most definitely not worth the several grand an extended warranty costs and i always suggest that people save that money and invest it so if you ever do need it you will have made a few bucks off of it and will still come out ahead.

Now I have had my A/C stop working and I also had my power steering go out at another time. For both of these issues i simply did a super reboot and haven't had an issue since and that was over a year ago the last time.

I had the extended warranty on my Model X, but that's because of all of the extra things that could go wrong on that vehicle **FALCON WINGS**.

A few things I wanted to highlight in case it was not widely known.

I was able to get a refund for my warranty for any unused portion, since I hadn't yet passed my original warranty, I got all of the money back, with very little hassle.

So if you think you might use it, I would recommend buying in the first 180 days (to get the reduced price) and then you can return it within the original warranty for no penalty (other than the lost value of that money over the time you kept it). If your car has a bunch of issues, or you think you might have issues, you can just keep it.

I sold it back partially because I didn't realize there was a $200 deductible for EVERY VISIT. They told me to queue up a bunch of issues, so you would only be hit with one $200 fee, but my local service center has been getting worse and worse with every visit and now I don't trust them enough to replace any high price items and figured they would cheap out on fixes the rest of the warranty.

You may want to check that this is still the case, but I believe I did all this mid-late last year.