Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ Pass Mounting- Problem Solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct on the plate match, i only go through there if its peak times and non car pool for me since there is no discount. i always take the lower level and go towards the 5mph lane or cash lane if im doing "car pool" or offpeak times since i have a NY Green pass for discounts, i dont do the middle lanes unless i stick my hand out.
I know the hit or miss when i check my statements....if it shows my plate then it didnt read, if it shows my tag then it did read.(this is only when i go through the middle fast lanes where its toll processed,dont stop), but i rarely do this anymore since i hit the GWB usually off peak and/or have car pool.

Since I use mine so rarely, I guess that I should keep it in the cabin and hold it out the window when needed. I am just assuming that the nosecone is too low for the interior one to be sensed. I don't have a front plate (and never will!), so the exterior version is not an option for me.

Since I use mine so rarely, I guess that I should keep it in the cabin and hold it out the window when needed. I am just assuming that the nosecone is too low for the interior one to be sensed. I don't have a front plate (and never will!), so the exterior version is not an option for me.
I don't use mine much either. I tried holding it out the window the other day and it didn't work. Probably holding it at the wrong angle. The exterior one can be mounted behind or inside the nose cone without a front plate holder. I think they use double sided tape at the dealer.

I think that the newer express lanes in the east bay where there are no cameras require a working transponder as well as places like the SFO airport parking.

That's my understanding as well. Bay Area bridges all have the license plate readers.

I think I might order one. It seems so inelegant to hold the damn thing out the window of a 100K plus car!

Holding it out the window has never worked for me, but I only tried it a couple times before I switched to the rear liftgate glass. Once I was crossing the Bay Bridge and I saw another Model S driver hold the transponder through his open pano roof. Not sure if that was successful or not!

Bruce.

That's my understanding as well. Bay Area bridges all have the license plate readers.

Holding it out the window has never worked for me, but I only tried it a couple times before I switched to the rear liftgate glass. Once I was crossing the Bay Bridge and I saw another Model S driver hold the transponder through his open pano roof. Not sure if that was successful or not!

Bruce.
Funny, I opened the pano while my wife held up the transponder and it didn't work on the San Mateo bridge. :)
Going to try the parcel shelf solution this week!

I got the license plate transponder and mounted it behind the nose cone. It has worked every time with this setup.

Here is an image of the nose cone removed and the transponder attached with zip ties.

20151226_130627.jpg

UPDATE After originally starting this thread with the suggestion that an EZ Pass (NY/NJ) could be successfully placed on the windshield (2016 Model S) to the right of the rearview mirror on the black painted area of the windshield, I have to report that this position only was working about 75% of the time, so I had to remove it. I have two final solutions for all of you who refuse/prefer to not mount a front license plate:

1) Get an external EZPass (looks like a black bar) and ask your Tesla SC if they would pop the front nose cone for you and mount it to the front bumper support behind the nose cone. My SC used double-sided tape and zip-ties and it has been working like a charm.

2) Make sure that you go to the EZPass website for your state and register the license plate of your Tesla. This way, on the outside chance that the EZPass readers can not read your transducer, their computers will match the license plate and you won't receive any warnings or fines.

UPDATE After originally starting this thread with the suggestion that an EZ Pass (NY/NJ) could be successfully placed on the windshield (2016 Model S) to the right of the rearview mirror on the black painted area of the windshield, I have to report that this position only was working about 75% of the time, so I had to remove it. I have two final solutions for all of you who refuse/prefer to not mount a front license plate:

1) Get an external EZPass (looks like a black bar) and ask your Tesla SC if they would pop the front nose cone for you and mount it to the front bumper support behind the nose cone. My SC used double-sided tape and zip-ties and it has been working like a charm.

Not sure if this is an option with the refresh front end.

image.jpeg
Here's a pic. Just flip up the parcel shelf which is very felt-like. The Fastrak transponder had Velcro strips already on the back and conveniently sticks to the under surface of the flap. Then flip the parcel shelf back down so you don't block the view out the rear window. Well hidden and out of the way! So glad this works!

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888
View attachment 175704 Here's a pic. Just flip up the parcel shelf which is very felt-like. The Fastrak transponder had Velcro strips already on the back and conveniently sticks to the under surface of the flap. Then flip the parcel shelf back down so you don't block the view out the rear window. Well hidden and out of the way! So glad this works!

And that actually works?!?!?! Wow. I wonder if it'll work in PA (where I am).