Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Facelift Model3 Teaser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you smoking the blunt Elon smoked?

Model 3 headlights are some of the brightest headlights I've seen. Mine are blindingly bright for others. There is nothing dated about them lul

best you've seen doesn't make it best on the market. it's tied with a 2016 bmw (non-adaptive LED) as the worst headlight of my previous 6 cars going back to model year 2005,

I wonder how many of you have M3's built before June '18?? Tesla upgraded the lights on all models built after that date. Google your VIN# and look for "factory gate date", or just look inside the driver's side door jamb for mfg date.

Mine has a mfg date of 11/18, so I have the upgraded headlights. They are pretty damn good, and I've had plenty of high end cars (Audi S7, Range Rover, Maserati ,a few BMWs, etc...).

My last car, a Jaguar, had adaptive HIDs that would turn around corners as I turned. I actually liked it, and it did help to see around corners, but if I had to compare, the M3's headlights are clearly brighter and superior. If anything, they are just as good as my S7's headlights, which were among the best I've ever seen - so I really don't know what some of you are talking about...

best you've seen doesn't make it best on the market. it's tied with a 2016 bmw (non-adaptive LED) as the worst headlight of my previous 6 cars going back to model year 2005,

I would get your headlights checked at a SC, because they are leaps and bounds better than anything even close to a model year 2005 car, and I don't even care what make/model.

They are just as good or better than any of my high end cars from 2010+, and that includes BMW and Audi.

It's ironic, I just made a post yesterday about oncoming traffic frequently flashing their lights at me while I have my low beams on. They're either improperly aimed (I'm thinking this isn't the case since I don't see the beam entering the back window of cars that are sort of far ahead), or they are just that bright...

I would get your headlights checked at a SC, because they are leaps and bounds better than anything even close to a model year 2005 car, and I don't even care what make/model.

They are just as good or better than any of my high end cars from 2010+, and that includes BMW and Audi.

It's ironic, I just made a post yesterday about oncoming traffic frequently flashing their lights at me while I have my low beams on. They're either improperly aimed (I'm thinking this isn't the case since I don't see the beam entering the back window of cars that are sort of far ahead), or they are just that bright...

please try to read. previous generation of HIDs (Xenons projectors) were generally brighter than today's LEDs, with nicer sharper cutoffs and more even light distribution. my 2005 honda s2000 is far superior to the model 3, and they used the same headlamps since 1999.

LEDs took over xenon because they use consume power, don't generate as much heat, last longer, and ultimately cheaper.

laser lights are now the state of the art, and equipped on highest end cars. but while most all models are on LEDs, there are discrepancies in performance based on the actual LEDs modules used, housing design, etc.

this is a comparison of the distance of the low-beam throw meeting minimum 5 lux, measured at various locations, for all LED cars. testing by IIHS.

2020 model 3 isnt that impressive.

image.png

• Funny
Reactions: corndog and Mr X
please try to read. previous generation of HIDs (Xenons projectors) were generally brighter than today's LEDs, with nicer sharper cutoffs and more even light distribution. my 2005 honda s2000 is far superior to the model 3, and they used the same headlamps since 1999.

LEDs took over xenon because they use consume power, don't generate as much heat, last longer, and ultimately cheaper.

laser lights are now the state of the art, and equipped on highest end cars. but while most all models are on LEDs, there are discrepancies in performance based on the actual LEDs modules used, housing design, etc.

this is a comparison of the distance of the low-beam throw meeting minimum 5 lux, measured at various locations, for all LED cars. testing by IIHS.

image.png

Tesla Model 3 dubbed as car with best headlights in Top 5 list

??

Reactions: Phlier

It's a thing in Europe and the headlights are probably performing better in USA. If lights are NOT equipped with auto leveling function in Europe the lumen output is limited due to law. Since Tesla has not auto leveling on ANY of their models, all Tesla lights are nerfed in Europe.

I have an EU 2019 Model 3 right now and compared with Matrix led on Audi or Porsche to name two examples, the Tesla lights are like a candle. And it's not only the light output, it is the width of the light cone that is disappointing.

Hope that these new headlights are aimed for Europe and has the long awaited auto leveling function. This would make a big change for light output in Europe.

Matrix headlights are also a game changer, but since you don't have that in USA you don't know what you miss. The difference is massive. For us driving Tesla in Europe the delta is huge and really a big annoyance with an almost perfect car otherwise.

image.png

Can you post a link to that graph?

literally the 3rd sentence in the article

Updated: The IIHS did not comprise a list of Top 5 Best and Worst Headlights. The list was made available by YouTube channel The Fast Lane Car. The IIHS did give the Tesla Model 3 a “Good” ranking in terms of headlight quality.

Many cars gets a Good rating. You can see them on the website

Can you post a link to that graph?

I already linked it there. For example here's a Golf GTI, listed in the same category as that table. 4 of the 6 measurement categories are higher than the Tesla

2020 Volkswagen GTI 4-door hatchback

Reactions: corndog
literally the 3rd sentence in the article

Updated: The IIHS did not comprise a list of Top 5 Best and Worst Headlights. The list was made available by YouTube channel The Fast Lane Car. The IIHS did give the Tesla Model 3 a “Good” ranking in terms of headlight quality.

Many cars gets a Good rating. You can see them on the website

I already linked it there. For example here's a Golf GTI, listed in the same category as that table. 4 of the 6 measurement categories are higher than the Tesla

2020 Volkswagen GTI 4-door hatchback

Yes, but if we're strictly talking IIHS, "good" is the best rating they give for headlights. They can't be that bad...

Okay, how about it's less good than a Kia Forte, Toyota Camry, or any other mundane vehicle I can think of. A far cry from the "best" of anything

*shrug*

Until your headlight bashing post I thought they were pretty damn good lol I pass plenty of people on the highway at night, and they shine brighter than most of the cars I'm passing. I have also read plenty of posts with people affirming how great they are. Did ALL of those people only previously own a 1995 toyota celica with halogen headlights??? :confused:

Like I said, I've owned quite a few high end cars, and I don't recall any of their headlights being that much better than the M3. I don't really care what it is - perception, or otherwise - I think they're pretty good and I would never want to own any of those sh#tty cars anyway... Honda civic? lol. Subaru forester?! LOL. Kia forte?!?! ROFL! I could really care less how "great" their headlights are.

Last edited:

You said worst headlight LOOOOOOL. Your eyes might be the issue if you think the lights are anywhere near bad or they are not aligned properly. While driving at night, my 3 always has the brightest headlight output out of all the cars around me and oncoming cars sometimes flash me as if my brights are on, but they're not.

A lot of new cars have similarly bright LED headlights, but the Model 3's LED headlights are undeniably extremely bright.

Best headlights I've ever had. inb4yousayIhaventhadcarswithgoodheadlightsbeforelol

You said worst headlight LOOOOOOL. Your eyes might be the issue if you think the lights are anywhere near bad. While driving at night, my 3 always has the brightest headlight output out of all the cars around me and oncoming cars sometimes flash me as if my brights are on, but they're not.

A lot of new cars have similarly bright LED headlights, but the Model 3's LED headlights are undeniably extremely bright.

Did you read my earlier post in this thread regarding that there is a difference with European spec Teslas?

This guy you're calling out seems to be located in EU as well...

Don't judge someones information wrong based on your own lack of knowledge. Or have you tested an EU Spec Model 3 or any European car with Matrix headlights?

You said worst headlight LOOOOOOL. Your eyes might be the issue if you think the lights are anywhere near bad or they are not aligned properly. While driving at night, my 3 always has the brightest headlight output out of all the cars around me and oncoming cars sometimes flash me as if my brights are on, but they're not.

Best headlights I've ever had. inb4yousayIhaventhadcarswithgoodheadlightsbeforelol

You realize posted above are actual measured values, done by a 3rd party, showing the Model 3 has less brightness and reach than other common cars like Civics and Golfs?

If you get flashed by other cars, your lights may be adjusted improperly. When you point weak halogens up at other people, they'll be just as annoyed.

Reactions: corndog

"LOOOOOOL" at this post. Not only does the Model 3 get out performed by other mainstream cars in the US, the OP that you're replying to is in the EU where it is well-established that headlight technology is far more advanced than what is used on US roads and US manufacturers..

You realize posted above are actual measured values, done by a 3rd party, showing the Model 3 has less brightness and reach than other common cars like Civics and Golfs?

If you get flashed by other cars, your lights may be adjusted improperly. When you point weak halogens up at other people, they'll be just as annoyed.

"LOOOOOOL" at this post. Not only does the Model 3 get out performed by other mainstream cars in the US, the OP that you're replying to is in the EU where it is well-established that headlight technology is far more advanced than what is used on US roads and US manufacturers..

Do you even have a M3?? You guys expect to come here bashing the M3 headlights on a M3 FORUM and not catch sh#t for it?? :confused:

This is currently what Audi e-tron offers here in Europe. The amount of details those headlights are capable of producing is astonishing.

It also starts at $77k, more than double the price of the base model M3.

I understand the M3 doesn't have the best headlights in the industry...no one is saying that. But to openly bash them on an M3 forum is like going to a Ferrari forum to point out there are faster cars out there.......