Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing doors issues on hot days.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve had my X for close to 2 months and happen to live in the Hi Desert, today was 102. I took it into the Pan Springs SC last month and was told the story about the heat. I’m like great, so I need to move in order for my car to work properly. All the tech and they can’t get the door issue fix. It’s truly embarrassing when you boast about you electric car that can run on pure electricity but can’t get the doors to open correctly or even at all. Especially when you have grown adults in the back seat and they can get out even when trying to override. All I hear in my head is Rich’s (Rich Rebuilds) mom on his video “he want to put people on the moon, but can’t put you in a car”.
Is your X black? They gave me a loaner while they try and figure this out how to fix... and the loaner X I have is red. In the heat yesterday of 104F I had no issues with the falcon doors. Allegedly it’s only for the black X’s but would be curious to know if it’s more than just black

It’s not just black. We had our white raven model x delivered 2 weeks ago and started having heat related fwd issues. We have an appointment at the SC tomorrow.

When it acts up, the screen button does not work at all. We have to hold down the physical button on the pillar and it opens very slowly and very close to the car.

D7D102A3-F434-49DC-A673-158C7FC411BD.jpeg

Read this thread today, it was 100F in Livermore CA after an hour parking, went out to exercise both FWD doors in direct sun.
They worked fine and have done same at many ski trips very cold, even the xmas easter egg at Bear Valley Resort. OK may car is white.

Just data points on the plus side happened with my car(s). I have ~2.5yrs of happy MX use w/o FWD bugs.

Being a mechanical engineer, I expect FWD sensor and actuator failures/bugs are very real. So keep going to SC to get EVERYTHING you deserve outta this fine vehicle.

old |v2019.15.11|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
new |v2019.20.1 9973c22|AP2,MCU1,PUP|

Deep Blue,
Wow it’s amazing that this persists even in the newest models. I have a 2016 pre-owned 90D I purchased from Tesla. There’s always been tiny things that seem to bug me. I love the vehicle and driving it but the basics of an automated door not being automatic have truly made it a frustrating experience. They have asked to keep my car longer to figure this out with engineering. I’m almost ready to ask them to buy the vehicle back since they’ve had the car for repairs for more than a month of my 4 months of ownership

It’s not just black. We had our white raven model x delivered 2 weeks ago and started having heat related fwd issues. We have an appointment at the SC tomorrow.

When it acts up, the screen button does not work at all. We have to hold down the physical button on the pillar and it opens very slowly and very close to the car.

View attachment 418287
It’s weird that it appears your issue is the roof sensor. Mine appears isolated to the door sensors. They replaced my sensors last time but made the issue worse for me... still working with engineering to figure a fix

It’s weird that it appears your issue is the roof sensor. Mine appears isolated to the door sensors. They replaced my sensors last time but made the issue worse for me... still working with engineering to figure a fix

Here’s my sensors detecting things that aren’t there

Attachments

• D419AE7C-94F3-48A8-AD04-FAB2ABD65F0D.jpeg
    D419AE7C-94F3-48A8-AD04-FAB2ABD65F0D.jpeg
    437.1 KB · Views: 114
I just had a sensor replaced on my door for the same issue. It worked fine last summer, but just started acting up. The sensor is cheaper than a single wiper ($30).
They tried a different adhesive and warming sensors prior to installation - still failed. Appears engineering is sending a “butyl strip” to fix. Been in the shop for nearly 2 weeks now

Second butyl patch fix failed. It’s still in the shop and nearing the 30 day mark just for this repair. I don’t think there’s going to be a choice but to ask for a buy back. The falcon doors not opening in an emergency situation could cause a seriously dangerous situation

I am surprised they haven't told you that this is expected behavior. I thought they've started telling customers that since early this year.

If anyone cares, my first post in this post saying it's been fixed, it's not. That car ended up going through the whole FWD replacement process and at the end we all gave up and they re-purchased the car. That was a midnight silver.

I got a replacement in pearl white and it has been working fine for the most part. I think on the hottest days it still happened but much less frequently.

We've lived with this for two years now, though we don't usually have passengers. We can override the FWD just fine by holding any one of the controls, physical or touch. Though it did cause a small ding when a passenger raised it full in a parking garage. Hasn't been a big problem.

Keeping it in the shop for a sensor repair is ridiculous. Not sure why they did that. Neither of my replacements required an overnight stay. Both were performed along with an annual service. Haven't tried the Butyl seal yet.

Yes, the center appliqué (entire plastic part on top of roof with integrated sensor) was replaced and it has resolved our issues.(Knock on wood)
Happy to hear your issue was resolved - looks like it was only the roof sensor for you. Mine is the sonic sensors in the door. To add insult to injury they also damaged my vehicle (side swiped) while it was there- they were super apologetic, but it will require a body shop to repair.

I am surprised they haven't told you that this is expected behavior. I thought they've started telling customers that since early this year.

If anyone cares, my first post in this post saying it's been fixed, it's not. That car ended up going through the whole FWD replacement process and at the end we all gave up and they re-purchased the car. That was a midnight silver.

I got a replacement in pearl white and it has been working fine for the most part. I think on the hottest days it still happened but much less frequently.
Did they do 2 transactions for you (repurchase- then you purchase) or was it 1 purchase with trade in?