Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing doors issues on hot days.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've lived with this for two years now, though we don't usually have passengers. We can override the FWD just fine by holding any one of the controls, physical or touch. Though it did cause a small ding when a passenger raised it full in a parking garage. Hasn't been a big problem.

Keeping it in the shop for a sensor repair is ridiculous. Not sure why they did that. Neither of my replacements required an overnight stay. Both were performed along with an annual service. Haven't tried the Butyl seal yet.
I don't know about your particular case, but the reason they had to keep my car for days is because of weather. After sensor replacements they had to verify the issue is resolved or it's pointless to just keep replacing the sensor and hope for the best. The main cause of this issue has to do with weather and if the temperature doesn't hit certain degree or the sun doesn't shine at the door or at certain angle they were not able to reproduce the issue. However once the heat was consistent the issue was easily reproducible. They just had to wait for that day.

Did they do 2 transactions for you (repurchase- then you purchase) or was it 1 purchase with trade in?
2 separate transactions. They buy your car back and you order a new/inventory car from the website or whatever. Or you don't have to get another Tesla. They just pay off the loan if any and cut you a check for the difference of the agreed re-purchase price, which is composed of the price you paid minus fed credit minus standard mileage usage deduction (based on 1st recorded mileage of the issue first appeared). You can also negotiate for something between these 2 transactions. For example, I requested they let me keep the old car until the new one arrives and it was approved. I've heard another member requested extended warranty on the new purchase and they approved it.

• Informative
Reactions: VikH
I don't know about your particular case, but the reason they had to keep my car for days is because of weather. After sensor replacements they had to verify the issue is resolved or it's pointless to just keep replacing the sensor and hope for the best. The main cause of this issue has to do with weather and if the temperature doesn't hit certain degree or the sun doesn't shine at the door or at certain angle they were not able to reproduce the issue. However once the heat was consistent the issue was easily reproducible. They just had to wait for that day.

2 separate transactions. They buy your car back and you order a new/inventory car from the website or whatever. Or you don't have to get another Tesla. They just pay off the loan if any and cut you a check for the difference of the agreed re-purchase price, which is composed of the price you paid minus fed credit minus standard mileage usage deduction (based on 1st recorded mileage of the issue first appeared). You can also negotiate for something between these 2 transactions. For example, I requested they let me keep the old car until the new one arrives and it was approved. I've heard another member requested extended warranty on the new purchase and they approved it.

Did you have any upgrades or add-ons you were compensated for? My fear is paid for the Hepa (biohazard) upgrade, upgraded intrusion alarm and tow package. I‘d hate to not be reimbursed for that. Mileage deduction certainly makes sense though and fair.

I've had my 2016 MX 90D (titanium metallic) since new. I have had significant FWD issues in direct summer sunlight. Under those conditions they occasionally hesitate to open and make a click or knock sound at the top upon first opening. I do not believe sensors were/are the root cause and they have not been replaced although I may be unaware of a related software update.

The issue came to a head when the passenger-side FWD top glass panel cracked and disintegrated near where it met the vehicle top center panel. Fortunately the sun screen was in place so my kiddo didn't get a glass shower.

I concluded that the FWD top rubber seals were melting/softening in the heat and adhering to the vehicle top center panel. This causes resistance not distinguishable by the sensor from the FWD hitting an obstruction. The ranger replaced the broken glass panel and agreed to replace the driver's side one preemptively just before warranty expiration as it made the same knocking sounds upon opening.

Thought I'd check if anyone else had solutions as I'm preparing to move to Florida from NYC. My issues seem to differ from others here. One solution I may try is to line with vaseline or some other lubricant the vehicle top center panel where it meets the rubber. Thoughts welcome.

Reactions: guicane
I lemon lawed my 2017 MX because of this issue a few years ago. They tried fixing it a dozen times. Appears to be the luck of the draw. Many MX are perfectly fine. Others: The exterior metal heats, separates from the ultrasonic sensor, and then the doors malfunction. Wouldn’t be half as bad if the front doors weren’t affected by the FW doors… but I believe they did a software update to allow the front doors to override the FW sensor.