TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Falcon wing scratching and scuffing other parts

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by lloyds, Jun 5, 2016.

1. lloyds

lloyds Member

Since my last SC visit to replace the latches on my front doors...I now have a more serious issue. The driver side falcon wing door does not close. I tried the various recalibration techniques to no avail. Additionally, it is scratching the inside plastic trim and the paint. It even scraped a chunk off of the door edge of my front door edge.

This is quite ridiculous and I have lost my patience with Tesla.
    20160605_190759.jpg
    Having a 140k car and in the mall parking lot having my friend help me pull the doors down in order for the latch to cinch is beyond ludicrous.

20160605_190808.jpg 20160605_190812.jpg 20160605_190822.jpg

Attached Files:

• Informative x 6
  2. CaliX

CaliX Member

I would lose my mind... let us know what the SC says tomorrow.

• Like x 1
  3. lloyds

lloyds Member

20160605_191055.jpg 20160605_190928.jpg

• Informative x 2
  4. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

@lloyds, which Service Center do you visit?

Curious to see how this is handled. Best wishes for a satisfactory resolution.

• Like x 5
  5. lloyds

lloyds Member

I use both the Fremont or Dublin SC depending on their schedule.

• Informative x 2
  6. X Yes?

X Yes? Member

Very frustrating. With Fremont and Palo Alto at 4+ weeks out for an appointment, due to similar problems, I feel your pain. When can the SC get you in again in Dublin?
    Do you think this can be fixed?

7. ohmman

This has to be a calibration issue, though maybe not one that can be done "at home". The door is out of sync. @lloyds, does the door image on the 17" match the actual door position? I had a situation where mine thought it was open even though it wasn't. It just looked barely "up" on the 17" but in reality it was closed. The door was inoperable, but at least it wasn't banging into things.

• Informative x 1
  8. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I have never seen my car door get anywhere near this close. Once it starts to open it swings out about 8-12" at the bottom first. Something is wrong with your mechanism.

9. lloyds

lloyds Member

I am sure this could be fixed. I was just real frustrated yesterday because the door was stuck. I hate to take out my frustration on others....especially to service. I just hope there are no more door issues from here.

10. SΞXY P100D

SΞXY P100D Member

Got two words for you... Lemon law. :eek:

11. lloyds

lloyds Member

Everything now fixed. The tech said there is no way the wing could clip my door my front door was partially open.. in a way i was a bit disappointed and offended. Yes my front door was open when the fw clipped it, but I dont recall anywhere that says I need to have my door closed to operate the falcon.

• Informative x 3
  12. ohmman

In fact, it's been repeated that the two doors should never be able to intersect, open or not. So I don't like that answer one bit, either.

• Like x 1
  13. lloyds

lloyds Member

Not my style....never done it and never needed to.

• Like x 2
  14. aesculus

Today I had both my FWD and front doors open at the same time. I used the Fob to single click to close them all and lock in one motion. As soon as they started to move I remembered this thread and the door conflicts and of course panicked.

My front doors closed rapidly much sooner than the FWD's could descend so no collision occurred.:eek:

15. lloyds

lloyds Member

As luck would have it.....the same falcon wing door is stuck again. Last time I was at the SC they said it only needed recalibration.

Im stuck on the side of the road with the car parked and screaming kids because the door is not operating. Plenty of people driving by as I am on the phone with roadside trying to get the door to close so I can at least drive home. So frustrated.

20160626_144508.jpg 20160626_142211.jpg 20160626_145154.jpg

16. aesculus

No way to push it down while it is closing to give it an assist?

Never seen that error before. Too hot?

17. lloyds

lloyds Member

Not safe....I have a lot of cars driving by at 50 mph...I already rried and its real stuck. Funny I think back when my SA says theres nothing wrong.

• Informative x 1
  18. lloyds

lloyds Member

Right now iits stuck mid way....cant pull it down. Tried pushing it up which was easier, but when I try closing it....just gets stuck midway again. At 117 degrees outside, this just adds to my level of frustration.

19. lloyds

lloyds Member

1+ hr from car being towed. Roadside tried everything on their end to reset the system to no avail. I think this time, my sa cant say there is nothing wrong with my falcon wing.

20. ohmman

Definitely the first time I've seen this "too hot" message here or anywhere else.

Maybe a pointless exercise, but can you freeze the cabin out? Though, it looks out of alignment - maybe you can push it backwards while pushing it down?

Stay safe on the road. What a mess.