Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail 235/55r19 on Gemini wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a similar trick with tires+wheels as well, motivated by a need to go over a dam spillway that's all river rock a couple times a month.
I'm quite sure the OEM Conti's would not like it, and this setup gets 1/2" additional ground clearance.

Like the OP, I've discovered (proven) that tire sidewall buys significant composure for the ride quality of the MYLR.

These are BFG Terra-Terrain A/T tires sized 255/55/18, mounted on M3 18" Aero wheels. Unfortunately the shop's insurance required the addition of TPMS sensors.
Notes: these wheels won't clear the MYP brake calipers, and there's just 1/8" wheelwell clearance at full lock steering (NBD). Steering knuckle has 3/8 clearance, very good.
How are you liking your tires? Are you taking a big range hit? I just ordered the Method 18 wheels for my Model Y, thinking of getting these tires. Thanks bud.

How are you liking your tires? Are you taking a big range hit? I just ordered the Method 18 wheels for my Model Y, thinking of getting these tires. Thanks bud.
I am entirely satisfied with them. They seem to be exactly as advertised (as I would expect from BFG off-roads).
They run quiet on the highway, are confident over the rock garden I regularly traverse, and work great on loose dirt /mud hill climbs.
I only mount them 10 days a month, they're not my daily drivers (those are the OEM 19" Conti's)

The Method 502 wheels will look great. Congrats.

I’ve been running the Falkens since November. Ride is better and I love the look. No noticeable difference with noise compared to OEM 19” setup. Less efficient but that is to be expected.
ED3C4C1A-94E9-48FE-84A8-1A6119AF10DE.jpeg

Just a quick update for anyone interested. This is my summary for 2022 with the falkens. Note that I don’t try to be conservative, especially when it’s by myself. That said the average speed on hwy was around 70 mph.
Supercharged a few times during road trips but mostly at home with rates at $0.10 per kWh.

Attachments

• 2EF746AC-3833-4A6D-9E4A-9ED6CBD4781B.png
    2EF746AC-3833-4A6D-9E4A-9ED6CBD4781B.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 168
  • AFA55967-4E18-4D98-919D-FE47FA1CBEE9.png
    AFA55967-4E18-4D98-919D-FE47FA1CBEE9.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 133
  • A9F9C807-0C5A-4FBC-A9E1-D0490F3586BF.png
    A9F9C807-0C5A-4FBC-A9E1-D0490F3586BF.png
    42 KB · Views: 131
  • B52C9E05-643B-4D16-8FA5-6F561620705A.png
    B52C9E05-643B-4D16-8FA5-6F561620705A.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 88034BFF-FE01-4E78-BE93-56262399EFB1.png
    88034BFF-FE01-4E78-BE93-56262399EFB1.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 138
How much efficiency loss do you have? What is your Wh/mile on these (and what's your normal driving conditions?).
Car is mainly used for daily running around by my wife, not much highway driving. I live in PA with lots of hills and a wife with a heavy foot.
With the OEM wheels and tires it was averaging 270ish Wh/mile, and with the Falkens it has settle in around 310 Wh/mile after 6K miles, also it's winter so that's working against me. The efficiency loss to me isn't terrible and acceptable given the benefits of this setup for the winter.

Car is mainly used for daily running around by my wife, not much highway driving. I live in PA with lots of hills and a wife with a heavy foot.
With the OEM wheels and tires it was averaging 270ish Wh/mile, and with the Falkens it has settle in around 310 Wh/mile after 6K miles, also it's winter so that's working against me. The efficiency loss to me isn't terrible and acceptable given the benefits of this setup for the winter.
any updates for summer??

Just a quick update for anyone interested. This is my summary for 2022 with the falkens. Note that I don’t try to be conservative, especially when it’s by myself. That said the average speed on hwy was around 70 mph.
Supercharged a few times during road trips but mostly at home with rates at $0.10 per kWh.
do you have the efficiency for the OEM tires for you to compare? looks like maybe a 15% hit which is pretty substantial IMO

do you have the efficiency for the OEM tires for you to compare? looks like maybe a 15% hit which is pretty substantial IMO
With the oem continentals i averaged 306 Wh/m. Last full year with the Wildpeaks was 326 Wh/m which comes out to be around 6-7% hit in efficiency.
That said i'm not really conservative with the throttle and like going faster than the usual granny on hwy.

Reactions: gt2690b
I have a model 3 (lifted 2") on Falken Wildpeaks (225/50R18 for model 3) and it's about a 15% loss in range. I believe 10% from the tires and 5% from the lift. Basically it takes it from a LR and turns it into a performance (efficiency wise). It does fine on long trips, no issues with range. It's not insanely efficient anymore but it's not terrible either. They are definitely louder too but it's not enough to annoy me. It sounds pretty normal instead of quiet as a tomb.

I went with a 1/2" narrower wheel to get within the spec range of the tire but I wish I'd gone even narrower - I don't like the "nearly stretched" look and the ride on dirt is definitely harsh.

I think the lift gave me more value than the tires.

PXL_20230709_115508735.jpg

I had the tires for about 2 weeks now. Decided to test it out since I couldn’t find any information about this combo.
Main reason i went with this size instead of the 245/55 is the XL load rating. Tires look ok on the Gemini wheels, not my favorite but good enough not to get new wheels. Doesn’t look stretched, similar fit with the oem tires. Rises the car about .5”.
Efficiency went down a little but not terrible. Avg of 275Wh/m became 295Wh/m. Ride quality improved over the stock continentals. Way more grippier tires too. I personally couldn’t hear any difference in road noise with these tires. Didn’t go to the snow yet but will try by end of the month.
So far i tested about 3 different navigation apps and speedo difference is only about 2mph faster than what the car shows.
i recommend it to anyone looking for mild AT tires good for year round use. Ask questions.
Not sure if the car calculates mileage by number of tire rotations or some other way, but your tires travel 5.3% further on each rotation than stock size tires. I would think that would have an impact on how wh/mile is calculated.

Attachments

• IMG_0925.png
    IMG_0925.png
    654.1 KB · Views: 124
Not sure if the car calculates mileage by number of tire rotations or some other way, but your tires travel 5.3% further on each rotation than stock size tires. I would think that would have an impact on how wh/mile is calculated.
I did change the configuration in the car to the Induction wheels to hopefully mitigate some of this. I also checked with different gps guided apps and the difference in real speed was minimal.
At this point I stopped caring too much :)

I did change the configuration in the car to the Induction wheels to hopefully mitigate some of this. I also checked with different gps guided apps and the difference in real speed was minimal.
At this point I stopped caring too much :)
the tire diameter is the same whether the configurator is set for 18", 19" or 20" or whatever. 21" wheel selection adds .6" to diameter of the tire.
the standard tires delivered with each Tesla model Y are all 28" diameter, except the 21" wheels have 28.6" diameter tires (which are not Inductions).
presets for tire diameter is what the calculator is basing the reported speedo on.