Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fallout Shelter and Netflix coming to our cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been mentioned a fair amount by Elon. The big issue is of course the data, as Tesla doesn't wish to pay for excessive data that is used while streaming video. But if you're in Park and connected to a wi-fi network, they have said they will enable it. It will become more relevant as they try to build wi-fi into Superchargers.

As with any feature Elon speaks of, the timeline could be months to even a year.

It has been mentioned a fair amount by Elon. The big issue is of course the data, as Tesla doesn't wish to pay for excessive data that is used while streaming video. But if you're in Park and connected to a wi-fi network, they have said they will enable it. It will become more relevant as they try to build wi-fi into Superchargers.

As with any feature Elon speaks of, the timeline could be months to even a year.
Years...

Does the infotainment system as it stands now even have the technical capability to play even the mobile version of a game like Fallout Shelter? I know 80’s era Atari games aren’t a problem, but just the base graphics and processor required for even a mobile device game these days are light years ahead of a gaming PC from 15 or 20 years ago.

How difficult would it be to get a 360/Birdseye view for the model 3 instead? Gotta think with all these camera and sensors it’s easier than getting games to play

No other car manufacturers adds functionality of any kind after the initial sale, so I think we’re lucky to get these kinds of upgrades for free.

We’ve really become pretty spoiled/entitled when we imply how easy it is to program the cameras and systems to give us 360/Birdseye view instead of adding free functionality in other areas like games.

If you contact a programmer, and ask them how long and how much money it would take to program, test, and update 360/Birdseye view, I think you would find it’s more than you think.

No harm in asking, but my point is why do some many here ask for these free features like Tesla owes them to us ?

I saw on another thread a member saying why add games, instead of adding useful apps. I have to agree. I see no utility in adding the games. Kind of "gimmicky" for me but, hey, it's Elons Co., his vision. To each his/her own! We all know there is so much more functionality coming our way in the future, through OTA's (the coolest thing since the creation of popcicles!). All I want added now is a flux capacitor so I can go back and buy TSLA at IPO.

Does the infotainment system as it stands now even have the technical capability to play even the mobile version of a game like Fallout Shelter? I know 80’s era Atari games aren’t a problem, but just the base graphics and processor required for even a mobile device game these days are light years ahead of a gaming PC from 15 or 20 years ago.

The MCU in the Model 3 is powered by the Intel Gordon Peak BMP and Intel Apollo Lake system-on-chip- it's reasonably peppy for infotainment purposes. Fallout shelter is not all that demanding.

How difficult would it be to get a 360/Birdseye view for the model 3 instead? Gotta think with all these camera and sensors it’s easier than getting games to play

Given none of cameras point down enough- no.

You'd need to physically add cameras the car doesn't have to offer this feature.

Yeah I agree that would have been a better thing to do. Even if it doesn't have enough cameras, give the camera view for the sides instead of something virtual and dancing.

So cool to hear our 2018 Camry could get updated for Carplay and birds eye view . That became instantly useful.