Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faraday Future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's good that they left the car on stage in side profile, because that front end makes the Fisker Karma look like a Miss Universe contestant in comparison.

But seriously, I am all for competition. The only takeaways I got from this presentation were:

-Electric
-Fast
-Smartphone in steering wheel

Maybe they've got a lot more hidden than they're willing to show. But right now they've just got a bunch of tech buzzwords that amount to nothing.

Tesla had the advantage of relatively scarce resources (for automotive) so they need to focus on the important stuff and strategy to grow step wise.

This company has too much $$ and will blow it all very quickly.

Would you rather invest in the rich kid that was given everything or someone that learned step by step how to be successful.

I agree - Tesla had huge dreams, electrification of transport, and nowhere near enough capital to achieve it. So they had to get things right and not waste too much money. I still have no idea what FF's mission is, other than to prove that you can build a sports car and a pickup truck on the same platform (really???).

If that presentation was a preview episode of the next season of Silicon Valley, it was brilliant. Otherwise, someone is spending a billion dollars to hear the words "fast", "transformative" and "modular" vanish into oblivion.

Yeah, well....

The positive is that it looks like a great platform, just like Telsa. Elons job is done, the future is now unstoppable.

The negative for me is the stupid race car concept... I'm a Motorsport nut, but I just don't see stuff all relevance to everyday vehicles anymore, just as walking to the train station has nothing to do with track and field. I want to see a glimpse of what I will be able to buy!

Where are the batteries coming from? What would and everyday vehicle look like? And the most important of all, WHAT ABOUT THE CHARGING INFRASTRUCTURE ????

Faraday Future Concept Vehicle FFZero1 reveal...What I thought...

I have to be honest, I was extremely excited to see what they were going to bring to the EV market. As I watched it looked more like a fluff and stuff Apple type reveal, except it actually had less information.

My simple summary:

1. They have a great team and impressive partnerships
2. They have made a concept car in 18 months and built a VPA platform for their new vehicles.
3. VPA looks promising and could be a great platform.
4. Concept looks very futuristic, but all in all, hideous.
5. The ONLY thing they told us about the car is that is has cool lines, and wind tunnels. ZERO facts or figures on battery, range, speed, acceleration, drive train ... NOTHING.

I felt like this was more a company vision reveal than a car reveal so maybe I'm being too harsh. I hope they become successful because more EV companies in the market can only be good for consumers, but I have to say I am not going to be holding my breath for this one...

What do you guys think??

But...but...they're fast! And have a great team! And Partners...look at the shiny partners! 40 minutes of nothing. I hope their architecture pans out in ...the future!

Very weak... "We move fast - we've hired 750 (or something) employees in 18 months." How hard is that when you've got a Billionaire waving money around?

As far as Elon is away from Jobs as a presenter, these guys were awful on stage. Elon may not be smooth, but he clearly states his much clearer vision.

I hope they can do something interesting...but that just didn't inspire me very much. Anyone else?

But seriously, I am all for competition. The only takeaways I got from this presentation were:

-Electric
-Fast
-Smartphone in steering wheel
I didn't get that at all, they didn't show any indication that any vehicle has moved a single inch under it's own power, so we really can't say anything about the drive train other than that it's probably all vapourware at this point. They said "fast" a lot, but then dragged it on very slowly, and again, no drivable prototype, no numbers, nothing to indicate speed.

As for the smart phone in the steering wheel. Will never make it to any production vehicle, I can guarantee that. It would be illegal in most jurisdictions, and it's just horribly impractical, you want your car to interface with how many different sizes and shapes of phone, how many operating systems, and fit perfectly in that tight a design area? not a chance.

Maybe they've got a lot more hidden than they're willing to show. Hopefully...
If they don't, they're in real trouble, because they didn't "show" ANYTHING.
- - - Updated - - -

Well, we don't know too much yet. They may pan out or fizzle. I wouldn't dismiss them until we know a lot more.
What we know right now is that, if they have ANYTHING at all, they're not showing it. I hate to dismiss them so quickly, but they really need to show more than that if they want any confidence from me.

I don't think they made a concept car. The made a concept car shell (an not a very good one), with nothing inside.

I doubt it's drivable, hence the GCI video of it driving, and no specs.

It's a single seater, with 1" ground clearance, no crumple zone in front, etc. It (and anything like it) will never see the light of day as a production car.