Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faraday Future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The did gone got legal counsel Chen. It's all about them Benjamins. Whatta loser. He couldn't even win one dealership fight in one state for Tesla so good riddance. They need Johnny Cochran with the Chewbacca defense:

Chewbacca defense - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a saying among lawyers:

If the law is on your side, pound the law.
If the facts are on your side, pound the facts.
If neither is on your side, pound the table.

The reason there have been no successful automotive start ups in the US since 1925, and very few worldwide since then is the automotive business is not easy to get into. At least not building cars from the ground up. Tesla has only gotten this far because Elon Musk has the ability to rethink everything everyday and change his thinking on a dime if need be.
...and he researched the business model of all the successful car companies in the pre-1925 period, found the common elements of the succesful ones, and copied them. I'm absolutely amazed that none of the other startup electric carmakers did this, but they didn't; Tesla is the only one which used the tried-and-true business model from the 1910s. Musk even *published* the business model online, and nobody else copied it.

You can believe me or not (up to you), but have had some off-the-record communications with FF people and it leaves me with the impression they are definitely trying, that it's not a scam.
Aptera was also really trying. So was Fisker and they even sold a few cars. Rimac is in a position to execute the business model if they want to and can find financing (wheel hub motors give them an advantage if they can deploy that advantage properly). Faraday Future is currently vaporware, though I certainly hope they start executing.

neroden said:
... Rimac is in a position to execute the business model if they want to and can find financing (wheel hub motors give them an advantage if they can deploy that advantage properly). ...

That is not correct. They do not have hub motors. In fact the motor/gearbox assembly is similar looking to Tesla except that instead of a motor on one side of the gearbox and an inverter on the other, they have a motor and gearbox for each side of the vehicle mounted back to back. So yes, they have an individual motor for each wheel, but they are not in the hub but are mounted inboard at the center of the vehicle. This gives them the ability to use torque vectoring and may be what you were thinking.

Rimac Automobili Explains All Wheel Torque Vectoring (w/video) - Inside EVs

That is not correct. They do not have hub motors. In fact the motor/gearbox assembly is similar looking to Tesla except that instead of a motor on one side of the gearbox and an inverter on the other, they have a motor and gearbox for each side of the vehicle mounted back to back. So yes, they have an individual motor for each wheel, but they are not in the hub but are mounted inboard at the center of the vehicle. This gives them the ability to use torque vectoring and may be what you were thinking.

Rimac Automobili Explains All Wheel Torque Vectoring (w/video) - Inside EVs
Yes, actually this is what I was thinking, thank you. "Wheel motors" is what I actually meant. Having one motor for each wheel is ideal, and having them sprung is ideal, so Rimac has an excellent design.

How much money *does* Faraday Future's rich Chinese backer have, anyway? The reason Tesla has followed its business plan is that it's the only way to build a new car company with a reasonable amount of money. "Reasonable" meaning the hundreds-of-millions to billions which Musk and the other early investors put in.

By contrast, "build two factories and massively staff up before you've designed a car, and after you've managed a giant publicity belly-flop" is usually a good plan for burning large amounts of cash with nothing to show for it. If the backer of Faraday Future has about $100 billion dollars of his own, it probably doesn't matter. If he only has $5 billion, he's playing with fire.

It looks like Jia Yueting's wealth is only $7.8 billion. At this rate he could easily burn all of that without getting a successful car out. I wish them the absolute best, but don't think they're being cautious enough.

Tesla was actually very, very cautious in a number of ways. This is something which is not usually appreciated about Musk: he has a pretty decent sense of risk assessment and has done fairly well at risk mitigation, which is contrary to his image as an extreme optimist.

Tesla was actually very, very cautious in a number of ways. This is something which is not usually appreciated about Musk: he has a pretty decent sense of risk assessment and has done fairly well at risk mitigation, which is contrary to his image as an extreme optimist.
Good point. I think that translates to:
He's just smarter than most everyone else, across the spectrum

Good point. I think that translates to:
He's just smarter than most everyone else, across the spectrum
Not really -- he's done a terrible job with all his marriages! So there's an area he's not smarter in.

He happens to have a combination of talents which is perfect for things like sending rockets to Mars or overturning the automobile industry.

Reactions: BaileyDog12
That's not a fair comment for a number of reasons. And you know that being married yourself.
Well, having followed Justine Musk's blog... Elon could have been a lot less competent in his personal relationships and plenty of people are, but he screwed up his first marriage with what are essentially rookie errors. And I do know that, being partnered myself and in a stable relationship for 18 years because *I learned how to do it*.

The polite way to put it is, perhaps, that he had other priorities than marrying someone he could live with for the rest of his life, had other priorities than making his marriage work, and decided to let it fail. From what we can tell from what's come out in public, he proceeded to screw up his second marriage largely by repeating the same mistakes.

This does not indicate smarts in this arena. But hey, nobody's smart about everything. I don't have $100 million from co-founding PayPal.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yuri_G
Well, having followed Justine Musk's blog... Elon could have been a lot less competent in his personal relationships and plenty of people are, but he screwed up his first marriage with what are essentially rookie errors. And I do know that, being partnered myself and in a stable relationship for 18 years because *I learned how to do it*.

It takes two to tango.
Everyone is always very clear what the other person did wrong and not necessarily what they did wrong. Her repeated need to shout to the world after the fact what an awful person he was says more about her than him. It's no secret she's very bitter and angry. Maybe move on.
Their lives together changed dramatically and when that happens it often sends people in two different directions - especially when fame and money is part of that dramatic change.
The death of a child is often unbearable. While it sometimes brings a couple closer together, more times than not it rips them apart.

The polite way to put it is, perhaps, that he had other priorities than marrying someone he could live with for the rest of his life, had other priorities than making his marriage work, and decided to let it fail. From what we can tell from what's come out in public, he proceeded to screw up his second marriage largely by repeating the same mistakes.

It takes two to tango. It's not like she didn't know where his priorities laid or his time was spent.
Both times the marriage ended amicably, which is quite different than the first one. We don't see her blogging about what a horrible husband he was. Hmm...

25 years of marriage with plenty of days in there of wanting to kill each other...if only a weapon had been handy... ;) There are many recipes for lasting marriages, but 'marriage smarts' usually isn't in the list of important must have ingredients.

I'm quite sure he made mistakes, maybe even repeated some mistakes along the way, but surely you can find enough to criticize him about without getting into the personal arena, which is often behind closed doors (and should stay there) and which we aren't privy to from both parties.

Press | Faraday Future Announces Supply Agreement with LG Chem

The partnership also represents a joint commitment between both companies to collaborate on the development of EV battery technology, resulting in the world’s highest energy density for a production automotive battery. These cells will be incorporated into Faraday Future’s VPA platform, the company’s universal and scalable modular battery structure. The VPA platform is a critical component to Faraday Future’s future product portfolio.

“LG Chem worked closely with Faraday Future to develop a tailored cell chemistry to optimize the range and safety of our mass production battery hardware,” said Tom Wessner, VP of Global Supply Chain, Faraday Future. “At FF, we are working with world-class suppliers to advance our technological innovations, and we look forward to our relationship with LG Chem as we push towards our vision of future mobility.”

“As a leading supplier of automotive cells and batteries, we are proud to work alongside Faraday Future as we work together to create the next generation of electric vehicles,” said UB Lee, the President of Energy Solution Company, LG Chem. “Our progress so far represents a major step forward in battery technology, and we look forward to growing our partnership and co-developing hardware into the future.”

• Informative
Reactions: palmer_md