Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fatal autopilot crash, NHTSA investigating...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you recount what happened or what your car did when you woke up? whas it still driving or did it stop?

I was just out briefly, not long enough for the hold hands chime to engage audibly and I remember that i had to rewind the audio book (hence the accuracy of the 10-15sec estimate).

The thing is, hands on the wheel or off, AP on or off, I would have dozed off either way. Thankfully, AP was on, no traffic for miles, and I caught myself when my head lolled.

That's about the end of it. I had a nice 45 min nap at the Indy supercharger and then onto my destination where I actually had a place to lay down.

I was just out briefly, not long enough for the hold hands chime to engage audibly and I remember that i had to rewind the audio book (hence the accuracy of the 10-15sec estimate).

The thing is, hands on the wheel or off, AP on or off, I would have dozed off either way. Thankfully, AP was on, no traffic for miles, and I caught myself when my head lolled.

That's about the end of it. I had a nice 45 min nap at the Indy supercharger and then onto my destination where I actually had a place to lay down.

Glad your safe! Years ago I fell asleep at the wheel. Fortunately there was a guard rail that kept me from dying, and woke me up. Needless to say the car didn't look too good.

Falling asleep at the wheel is unfortunately a very common occurrence, and one that rarely ends well. Luckily with AP you have a fighting chance of surviving it without a collision. Most drivers don't have that safety net, and it certainly doesn't stop them from falling asleep none the less.
Regardless of if you have AP or not, driving drowsy is dangerous, if you feel yourself starting to fall asleep, pull over!

Falling asleep at the wheel is unfortunately a very common occurrence, and one that rarely ends well. Luckily with AP you have a fighting chance of surviving it without a collision. Most drivers don't have that safety net, and it certainly doesn't stop them from falling asleep none the less.
Regardless of if you have AP or not, driving drowsy is dangerous, if you feel yourself starting to fall asleep, pull over!

Needless to say, the Sherlock Holmes audio book was swapped out for some Dragon Force immediately.

More importantly, we should all heed this recommendation.

"The NHTSA report concludes that Autopilot requires the “continual and full attention” of the driver, and that they should be prepared to “take action to avoid crashes.” Autopilot is an “assistance system” and is not meant, nor is it capable, of taking full control of driving functions over from the driver."

Driver in fatal Tesla Autopilot crash had seven seconds to take action

More importantly, we should all heed this recommendation.

"The NHTSA report concludes that Autopilot requires the “continual and full attention” of the driver, and that they should be prepared to “take action to avoid crashes.” Autopilot is an “assistance system” and is not meant, nor is it capable, of taking full control of driving functions over from the driver."

Driver in fatal Tesla Autopilot crash had seven seconds to take action

In addition

"The NHTSA investigation report called seven seconds a “period of extended distraction,” and noted that similar crashes generally had a “much shorter time” available for both the system and driver to detect and respond to a pending collision, usually less than three seconds. The report called distractions longer than seven seconds to be “uncommon, but foreseeable.”

There is no word from NHTSA about what the driver was doing during those seven seconds, though the driver of the tractor trailer truck involved in the accident claimed the Tesla driver was watching a Harry Potter movie. His last interaction with the car was to set the cruise control speed to 74 mph less than two minutes before the crash."

I assume insurance premium will go down when drivers don't pay attention to driving any more but the automation will take over with less accidents.

But not now, not enough data for insurance purpose.
However, the converse: if you have one accident, your rates increase for three years. So yes the formula is weighted to favor insurance companies, who need hundreds of millions of miles of data, but for an individual subscriber, it really only takes one accident to effect a change...

The details of the report talk about what the various system are expected to be able to cope with (straight line cross path not being one of them) and states the AEB in the 2015 Tesla is in line with state-of-the-art (actually compared with a Merc C300).

I like the depth of the detail, assessing each system individually and as a whole. Bottomline, you could not expect anything better from any other 2015 vehicle - even those with crash avoidance and auto-braking systems.

And their emphasis on 'assistance' is inline with my experience and mantra since first using AP.

Good and fair outcome. Bringing on AP2 updates and let's see what 2017 state-of-the-art becomes - let me know, I'll be driving carefully behind you with AP1 ;)

if you read the documentation and you aren't a foolish person you shouldn't need such a reminder.

Reading and Comprehending are seldom the same, but I am well aware. People rarely 'read' the fine print.

This was posted in hopes of educating those that assumed 'autosteering' assistance meant autopilot (akin to an airplane). It clearly is not nor should it be treated as such. Even the victim in this case, who had his car as long as I have and just about the same equal number of miles failed to do so. He did so as his own peril, sadly.

Reactions: WannabeOwner