Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Favorite and Least Favorite Feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
Wohmman surprised me last night by bringing up our Teslas. And not in the way she usually does: "How long will the X be in service this time?" Instead, she was discussing how she really liked the plan of trading in the S for the Model 3 when it arrives. The reasoning was the same as mine - it's smaller, and if we have the X, we don't need a large sedan.

That got me asking why we wouldn't trade in the X and just keep the S - what is it that makes the X more appealing to her? She said that despite the cargo configuration hassles (no folding seats), the roominess and road height make it a more appealing vehicle for her. I asked what her least favorite feature in the X was, and she said (surprisingly) the center console. She hates having to put her bag on the other side, vs. the console-free configuration in our S. I pushed back about the falcon wing doors, and she said those were her second least favorite, but after some discussion, she capitulated and agreed that since we use the doors multiple times a day, they're probably her least favorite.

Generally speaking, I agree. I like the cabin volume for road trips quite a bit, so that is my favorite category. And I hate the doors - they're a clear winner in the "least favorite" category. Cumbersome, awkward, always in the way.

The things I love about my S would likely be replicated by the 3. Nimble (as much as a huge sedan can be), low, sleek, and comfortable. Also, hopefully, utilitarian.

What are others single favorite and least favorite features, if you had to pick? Try not to make a list, if you can. Just a single item for each category.

While I don't have an X, only an S, my personal thoughts after having both for a weekend pretty much match how Wohmman's feels. Love the roominess, and hate the falcon wing doors and lack of folding seats. So for me, it likely will be holding on the S and getting a Model Y, since I like the larger size of the S vs. current smaller cars like the BMW 3, Mercedes C, Lexus IS (yes, I know the Tesla will be different, but I haven't seen it in person).

That said, I will still hold onto my two reservations. Mom will want one to replace her IS and our 2nd car, a Honda Fit, has 155k miles on it, so it likely will need to be replaced by the time things are shipping. Easy insurance to wait-and-see since the reservation is refundable.

Last edited:
Wohmman surprised me last night by bringing up our Teslas. And not in the way she usually does: "How long will the X be in service this time?" Instead, she was discussing how she really liked the plan of trading in the S for the Model 3 when it arrives. The reasoning was the same as mine - it's smaller, and if we have the X, we don't need a large sedan.

That got me asking why we wouldn't trade in the X and just keep the S - what is it that makes the X more appealing to her? She said that despite the cargo configuration hassles (no folding seats), the roominess and road height make it a more appealing vehicle for her. I asked what her least favorite feature in the X was, and she said (surprisingly) the center console. She hates having to put her bag on the other side, vs. the console-free configuration in our S. I pushed back about the falcon wing doors, and she said those were her second least favorite, but after some discussion, she capitulated and agreed that since we use the doors multiple times a day, they're probably her least favorite.

Generally speaking, I agree. I like the cabin volume for road trips quite a bit, so that is my favorite category. And I hate the doors - they're a clear winner in the "least favorite" category. Cumbersome, awkward, always in the way.

The things I love about my S would likely be replicated by the 3. Nimble (as much as a huge sedan can be), low, sleek, and comfortable. Also, hopefully, utilitarian.

What are others single favorite and least favorite features, if you had to pick? Try not to make a list, if you can. Just a single item for each category.

My wife isn't a fan of the center console either. Bags are her primary reason, but also because when putting two tall drink containers in the holders, the sliding door get's in the way of the one furthest back. Basically it makes it pretty much useless when we both want to put something there. One appeal of the Model S a couple of years ago was the roomy floor and the fact that she could fit her bags there and not have it get in the way of anything else.

Favorite: The general build of the car allows it to sit lower but not have the actual floor be higher. Basically, getting in/out of the car and getting out kids in/out is was easier for her when compared to our other cars. This is huge for asians....

Least Favorite: When storing in the trunk space, there's nothing OEM to stop items from flying forward in the 6 seat configuration. We knew this could be an issue but it get' so annoying when it happens.

@ohmman , these are probably more generic than what you were looking for, but here they are...
Favorite- the ability to take comfortable family cross country trips in a vehicle where, at least locally, it uses 100% solar generated fuel
Least Favorite- the number of quality issues that seem inconsistent with a car of this price. Many of these seem related to car that was over-engineered (motorized everything)

Last edited:
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
X
Favorite: Falcon wing doors - the car blends in a bit too much with a lot of suvs / minivans but the doors that open like a spaceship set it apart when in use.

Least: Inefficient power consumption. Currently on a road trip through Montana and went over 600 wh/ml at high speeds / elevations through stretches. Wind drag and weight make it feel heavy when compared with the S.

S
Favorite: Nimble, efficient electric motoring. Your electricity gives you considerably more miles in the shorter of Tesla's offerings.

Least: A bit more cramped than the X, less of a luxurious feel to it.

Overall I prefer the design of the S but the variety is really a blast!

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
If this is about the car in general, then my favorite feature is certainly Autopilot, and my least favorite is probably anxiety about parking it - mostly a fear of dings.

If you mean X vs S, then my favorite feature is the massive windshield, and my least favorite probably the lack of a folding second row.

Reactions: Fiddler
The roominess is our favorite. It's our first Tesla so we were not spoiled by the center console-less. My wife can still put the diaper bag on top of the center console without getting in the way like our BMW where the shifter lever resides. The 2nd row is also great with 7 seat configuration. My wife sometimes sits down there between our 2 kids, very comfortably. It has so much more room than our BMW where she could barely fit between the 2 car seats.

AP is also great for a Tesla beginner. I use it whenever I get a chance and the road condiditon warrants it.

The least favorite is the media player. We use USB device exclusively so the new media player sucks. All I really want is that it resumes where it left off (consistently), with the current folder still opened. The track number in the tag needs to work too.

Still mixed about the FWD. There are times they are great, then there are times they are a pain. Especially with 8.0 they seem to open much more conservatively when there are obstacles just on the sides. They should fully open between 2 cars but so far they barely do that. There are just obstacles on the side and nothing on top. The doors easily cleared the cars on the side I just don't know why they don't continue to go up fully.

Then there are stuff I like the least that can improve with updates (if they ever do). One touch close all needs a different implementation. I try to love it but every time I enable it, it gets accidentally pressed. Auto lock needs to be location aware like other geofenced stuff. It's so stupid to lock the car in my garage. Why do they let you geofence high/very high suspension but not low/very low? The very low setting will help opening the FWD in my low ceiling garage.

Last edited:
Model X

Favorite: AP convenience features
Lease Favorite: No control over headrest.

I would love to have my headrest come forward slightly so that I could rest my neck on it for long trips. Seat comfort is good in the X, but the head rest being so far back for me is undesirable.

Thanks for the responses. I have to say, it's telling to me that my wife and I are the only ones massively annoyed by the doors. Apparently we're in the minority, and I have to admit that I'm surprised by that. However, it's a pleasant surprise because it means good things for this model continuing to be part of the product stream.

Reactions: Fiddler and Cyclone
Favorites:
1. Smooth powerful acceleration.

2. Falcon Wing Doors: I absolutely love the falcon wing doors, they work flawlessly and are super convenient. I love being able to sit on the ledge under the FWD's to put on my shoes or change clothes before a run/hike/bike ride. Regular doors are so... in-the-way all the time and the FWD's are where they should be... up.

3. Large windshield.... makes me happy everyday. It is always cool and never hot (how did they do that!)

4. The seats... none better anywhere, LOVE them.

5. The deep well in the back, fits three fully loaded backpacks and great for groceries on a hot day.

6. Frunk

7. Hitch

8. Sound system

9. Climate control.

Someone stop me please!

Favorites:
1. Smooth powerful acceleration.

2. Falcon Wing Doors: I absolutely love the falcon wing doors, they work flawlessly and are super convenient. I love being able to sit on the ledge under the FWD's to put on my shoes or change clothes before a run/hike/bike ride. Regular doors are so... in-the-way all the time and the FWD's are where they should be... up.

3. Large windshield.... makes me happy everyday. It is always cool and never hot (how did they do that!)

4. The seats... none better anywhere, LOVE them.

5. The deep well in the back, fits three fully loaded backpacks and great for groceries on a hot day.

6. Frunk

7. Hitch

8. Sound system

9. Climate control.

Someone stop me please!
These are my favorites as well, and in the same order.
Least favorite: So many trips back to the service center (2.5 hours away)!

Favorite: seats. The white seats are beautiful and feel great.

Least favourite: The beep when closing something. It's frustrating that the rear hatch makes the same beep when closing as the Falcon wing doors. I was putting stuff in the car and opened the Falcon wing door. Meanwhile my father closed the trunk. I automatically stepped away from the car, even though it was just the trunk and not the door coming to go attack me.

Favorite: FWD solely for being able to take the kids out of the 2nd and 3rd row without hitting their heads on the top of the car. My kids always fall asleep on the drive home from grandma's so it's nice to move them right from the car to their beds.

Least: closing Frunk. I hate having to take all the crap out and setting it in the floor just to use both hands to close.