Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Automatically Roll Up Windows When It Start Raining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just returned from a 2 week trip fly fishing for King Salmon in Alaska. I left my M3 in a Park and Ride. When I returned, I found the passenger window wide open. I must have hit the button as I exited the car at 4:00 in the dark morning. Lots of pollen and a wet seat, but probably no damage. Could have been much worse. A friendly app to close the window, or send a notice to me to remotely close the window would have been nice. I might not be as lucky if this happens again

I'm sure this has been suggested before but I just thought about it. How nice would it be for the car to automatically sense rain when the windows are down, then roll them up automatically? Apart from being a nice feature for us, it would be a great selling point for Teslas: never worry about rain getting in your car while you're away ever again!
I recently had a back seat passinger who inadverntaly opened a rear seat window when he exited the car. When I got back to the car, it had raimed and the back seat and floor were soaked. Automatic closure would have prevented this but being able to close the windows with my phone would not because I didn't know the window was open. Maybe there should be a warning when you walk away from the car and a window is open.

I can't imagine ever leaving my car anywhere with the windows down! Even in the garage they are up. Why? Security, cleanliness, allergies, etc! I roll them down to get the ticket when I enter a parking garage or exit it. To talk to someone outside the car while I'm in it. That's it! If I feel the need of ventilation while i'm parked, I'd open the vent. Or set the climate control to stay on.

It used to be easy on my other cars to open the windows a 'crack.' A little ventilation is much better than none at all, and it would be very unusual for any rain at all to enter the cabin. The model 3 tries to be helpful by interpreting a 'crack' as an intention to close completely. I think i have to open the Model 3 windows a good 2, if not 3 inches to avoid having the car close the windows when I power down.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I'm sure this has been suggested before but I just thought about it. How nice would it be for the car to automatically sense rain when the windows are down, then roll them up automatically? Apart from being a nice feature for us, it would be a great selling point for Teslas: never worry about rain getting in your car while you're away ever again!
This would be a close second behind getting the front wipers to work when it rains.

I would appreciate something like this. I accidentally opened the front passenger window a bit once (must have hit the button without realizing it) and when I came back the seat was covered with snow. It wasn't a huge inconvenience and nothing got damaged, but it still would have been nice if the car closed the window on its own, or at least reminded me to close them before leaving.

Reactions: alfadur
Really miss this 'close all windows and sunroof' feature on Model S as well. Even closing all after a couple of hours, even when not raining, (as my Skoda Superb from VW group in Europe had) would be very handy. Recently the sunroof can be closed with the app, hopefully closing all windows will follow soon.

I recently had a back seat passinger who inadverntaly opened a rear seat window when he exited the car. When I got back to the car, it had raimed and the back seat and floor were soaked. Automatic closure would have prevented this but being able to close the windows with my phone would not because I didn't know the window was open. Maybe there should be a warning when you walk away from the car and a window is open.

And if for a security reason it is not possible, at least, send a text message saying “hey you left me alone with my window open ;)

I accidentally left the passenger window home, big thunderstorm in the night and lots of water intrusion, dried quickly in this weather and seems fine but I would really prefer the option to close them remotely or be alerted that they are open, I think if sentry mode is on setting a auto close on detect rain, windows option shouldn't be too hard to implement.

From the Tesla Forums, a post (Hand almost caught by Window | Tesla) from AoneOne should quiet down all the unsubstantiated regulatory and safety hazard posts about this. Our cars have auto-reverse and meet NHTSA standards, unless something is wrong with the mechanism. So, has anyone found any legitimate reason why Tesla won’t do this? Seems like a no brained?
Yes, the Model 3 has anti-pinch features for the windows. Look at post #17.

Auto crack windows to let heat out during day parking?

Reactions: SigRed12
It should only be operative if the car is empty.