Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Features of Current AP Set

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bswn1

Feb 13, 2016
CA
Just curious opinions of others as to what the limitations are of the current AP sensors. How far could we potentially go with software updates? Is true on-ramp to off-ramp possible?

How could they leverage the HD maps they're creating with the 1M+ miles a day driven through the fleet? Would navigation based AP even be possible without additional hardware?

Or, on the flip-side, have we hit the limit of functionality on the current sensors?

Very curious to hear thoughts of the forum about the upcoming features.

Limitations this point are nothing to do with hardware, and everything to do with lawyers. 7.0 was the peak of autosteer functionality, with 7.1 removing some of that ability. The sensors are perfectly capable of true on ramp to off ramp driving, a few people have rooted their car, turned off the lawyer nags, and found it to work very well.
At this point they could add as much hardware as they want, the tech still won't improve until they remove some lawyers.

Limitations this point are nothing to do with hardware, and everything to do with lawyers. 7.0 was the peak of autosteer functionality, with 7.1 removing some of that ability. The sensors are perfectly capable of true on ramp to off ramp driving, a few people have rooted their car, turned off the lawyer nags, and found it to work very well.
At this point they could add as much hardware as they want, the tech still won't improve until they remove some lawyers.

Interesting, do you have a source for the rooted AP cars?

I also think there is definitely a hardware limit, where that limit is I think is up for massive debate.

I'd very much like to see sensors that "look" down, especially in front.

Reason being I've run the underside of the nose onto too many curbs and parking bumpers while parking. Fortunately I only have minor scratches on the underside but others have posted pictures of serious front end damage (caused, I believe, by the front catching on a curb and being pulled off the car when backing out).

I read something a couple of weeks ago about Tesla working on sensor suite "2.0," so apparently there are some sensor upgrades in the works. What sort of upgrades they are remain a matter of speculation, but I would guess that a lot it is reliability and marginal conditions functionality enhancements.

I read something a couple of weeks ago about Tesla working on sensor suite "2.0," so apparently there are some sensor upgrades in the works. What sort of upgrades they are remain a matter of speculation, but I would guess that a lot it is reliability and marginal conditions functionality enhancements.

I believe the real hardware limitation is the compute power of current processor. Changing that out will require major integration probably with a dramatic increase in radar, ultrasonic, and video sensors.

I expect AP 2.0 and sensor suite 2.0 to emerge in S and X production about 1 year before III's roll out. I do not expect retro fit to our current or classic models.

Current AP with sensor suite 1.X is about all it will be. I expect to see tweaks around the edges, like algorithm updates to reduce seeking while in a lane, improvements in lane changing. Not expecting major feature introduction.

Last edited: