Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback and suggestions regarding the Model S Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I haven't seen the Beta in person my "issues" are based solely on the pictures. That being said I've got a couple things I can see that I'd like to see done different:

- How is the air in the rear? The handful of cars I've been in with center-console rear vents have anemic output to those seated in the back.

- This is just a nit-picky thing but I would like to see the rear windows go all the way down.

- Unless I missed it, where is the cruise control lever? (Or is that set via the screen?!)

- Does anyone know what Tesla plans to do with the shift lever since the Beta's shift lever is just from Mercedes? Buttons on the dash would probably look funny and having them on the floor (a la Roadster 2.0/2.5) probably wouldn't be a public (or Tesla internal) favorite but I don't know where else to suggest putting them,

None of these are big enough even if they were all combined for me to not want a Model S. It would just be nice to see them changed.

That's probably the biggest problem right now, the "losing face" part if they abandon the design at this point. :frown: It's OK Tesla, we won't think less of you...

Personally, I'm fine with the handles. I can see it being a pain waiting for them, but if they stay "open" until the car is locked, then that shouldn't be too much of a problem. When you're approaching the car quickly, perhaps there's a button on the FOB to manually unlock the car. Once you do that, the handles slide out immediately -- that way you can prepare the car for your approach.

At that point, I'd imagine the handles staying "open" until you hit say 3-5 MPH at which point they'd slide back in along with the doors automatically locking.

- Does anyone know what Tesla plans to do with the shift lever since the Beta's shift lever is just from Mercedes? Buttons on the dash would probably look funny and having them on the floor (a la Roadster 2.0/2.5) probably wouldn't be a public (or Tesla internal) favorite but I don't know where else to suggest putting them,

There's a whole discussion on that, but AFAIK, no one knows.

Since I haven't seen the Beta in person my "issues" are based solely on the pictures. That being said I've got a couple things I can see that I'd like to see done different:

- How is the air in the rear? The handful of cars I've been in with center-console rear vents have anemic output to those seated in the back.

- This is just a nit-picky thing but I would like to see the rear windows go all the way down.

- Unless I missed it, where is the cruise control lever? (Or is that set via the screen?!)

None of these are big enough even if they were all combined for me to not want a Model S. It would just be nice to see them changed.

Model_s_beta_instrument_panel_100811.JPG

Currently the cruise control is stalk mounted on the left side of the steering column. It may change slightly, but i think it will likely remain in that general location. As for the shift lever, didn't get any specifics, but everyone that I talked to at Tesla was indicating that the Mercedes part will be replaced with a Tesla design located in the same place.

Ah, Tommy, yours are even better, I was just going to post this enhancement:

Photos from Sunday, October 2, 2011 (Model S event)
attachment.php?attachmentid=3052.jpg

Just realized from your photo that you lose the arm rest when you slide it back to access the cup holder. Can't say that thrills me if that is truly how it works. Also did not notice any cup holders in the back seat, doors or center console, would like to see at least something for the kids in the back.

There's a whole discussion on that, but AFAIK, no one knows.

Ah, thanks. :smile:

Currently the cruise control is stalk mounted on the left side of the steering column. It may change slightly, but i think it will likely remain in that general location. As for the shift lever, didn't get any specifics, but everyone that I talked to at Tesla was indicating that the Mercedes part will be replaced with a Tesla design located in the same place.

Cool (and thank you for the picture) I noticed a second lever after posting but due to the picture angle I wasn't sure if it was the cruise control lever or not. It looks like the lever below that is the lights/signaling lever, correct?

The problem here is most likely because there isn't enough room at the bottom of the door to hold the window. So unless they completely redesign the rear of the car or they invent a roll-up window, it's not going to happen.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. :tongue: It's not such a big deal that I would get a different car, it's just personal preference.

Personally, I'm fine with the handles. I can see it being a pain waiting for them, but if they stay "open" until the car is locked, then that shouldn't be too much of a problem. When you're approaching the car quickly, perhaps there's a button on the FOB to manually unlock the car. Once you do that, the handles slide out immediately -- that way you can prepare the car for your approach.

At that point, I'd imagine the handles staying "open" until you hit say 3-5 MPH at which point they'd slide back in along with the doors automatically locking.

I love the handles and the only change I would wish for is to have them color matched to the door paint to keep them camouflaged. I would also suggest that they "close" as soon as you put the car into drive or reverse, and only open when you put the car in park.

For Pete's Sake - if this is the really the design of the armrest/cupholder, some engineer deserves a spanking. You have so much room there, why not keep armrest where it is and bring the cupholders further into the well extended another several inches towards the dash or just extend the whole thing closer towards the dash so that both are totally useable. This is a pet peeve of mine, but as someone who commuted 60 miles to and from work every day and as someone who now lives in a hot climate where a cold drink is welcome in the car, this version is really not practical. The Germans don't give a hoot about cupholders, but us Americans are definitely more picky!

I love the handles and the only change I would wish for is to have them color matched to the door paint to keep them camouflaged. I would also suggest that they "close" as soon as you put the car into drive or reverse, and only open when you put the car in park.

I actually like the color, especially if they go with someone like brushed aluminum to fight off prints. I suspect it would be fairly trivial to offer body-color handles for a premium though. Body-colored XYZ is often an upgrade option on cars.

For Pete's Sake - if this is the really the design of the armrest/cupholder, some engineer deserves a spanking. You have so much room there, why not keep armrest where it is and bring the cupholders further into the well extended another several inches towards the dash or just extend the whole thing closer towards the dash so that both are totally useable. This is a pet peeve of mine, but as someone who commuted 60 miles to and from work every day and as someone who now lives in a hot climate where a cold drink is welcome in the car, this version is really not practical. The Germans don't give a hoot about cupholders, but us Americans are definitely more picky!

Good thing it's an American car! I'm sure Elon needs somewhere for the Starbucks cup :)

Hahah. I keep thinking about my *cup holder* in the Roadster. Americans are really NOT that picky, it appears :)

We keep having to stow our Starbucks cups in the trunk. They snug in nicely beside the soft top. I use my computer bag to snug them if the soft top isn't there. The lack of a cupholder is most annoying. (The fold-out cupholder doesn't count because 90% of the time I have a passenger and can't use it.)

As bad as the Roadster's cup holder is, it's still better than my SLK. In the SLK, the cup holder is a drawer that pops out of the dash above the radio. So if you spill your coffee, then it pours into the vents and the stereo system. The previous owner of my car found that out the hard way.

That's probably the biggest problem right now, the "losing face" part if they abandon the design at this point. It's OK Tesla, we won't think less of you...

Tesla ain't changing the door handles. ONe of the goals was minimizing drag and wind resistance to improve the range of the car. Receding door handles, whether you like or don't like them, help reduce the drag on the car.

If the final interior has the empty well between the two front seats, I think that presents an opportunity for an aftermarket outfitter to come up with a console that can be installed with cup holders, compartments, loose change storage...whatever creature comforts desired.

Tesla ain't changing the door handles. ONe of the goals was minimizing drag and wind resistance to improve the range of the car. Receding door handles, whether you like or don't like them, help reduce the drag on the car.

You missed part of my original post. Aston Martin, for example (heck, even 80's Volvo 240) have receded door handles that do not add wind resistance that are completely manual.

Last edited: