Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fellow Cheapskates: How's your SR (no Plus) doing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to know at least one other person has the similar range as my car. I'm right around 193 on full charge, which is down a *lot* from the starting point of 218. I asked Tesla service about it, but of course they had nothing useful to say.

My only ever said Standard Range, I took delivery in March 2020... Yeah, then. $35,400 and some mods later, and this car is a steal. I really like the cheating the system aspect of getting a car this good for so cheap. No Autopilot, just stock cruise control.

My best guess on the lowered range is that I don't run it low very much at all. Lowest I've been is maybe once to 18% or so. I think the pack cannot calibrate properly without seeing a deeper cycle once in awhile. That's tough to do when I've got... 3100 miles total. c-19 has me mostly homebound.

However- lots to still like. It was 102 degrees here today, and no AC in the house. From 4:30 to 6:30 I took my laptop to my car, and ran the AC there. Used about 10% of the battery. :cool:

I hear ya about the price (mine was a bit better since I got the 2019 fed tax credit) at around ~$35K with all taxes etc I did buy the AP @ $2K though.

Range is my biggest complaint and trade off I run mine pretty low from time to time so it's probably the SC (want to use all up since it expires 10/22)
I'm hoping that TSLA will unlock the extra range if it continues to decline, but it has stabilized at 185-90 for about a year now,

It's funny you mention temp. since my theory is the car factors that in to range display.

One possibilty interesting tidbit for the cheapskate club- you can charge to 100% every time, even with regular LiIon batteries. Because we are software capped at 90%, that means you are never actually at 100%.

I've tested this out, and I still have full regen even at 100%, because the battery knows it can put more in, even if the front-end software is confused. The front-end software is not very smart and will complain about charging to 100% all the time. Part of the peril of being the bastard unicorn stepchild.

• Informative
Reactions: driver7 and vickh
215-220Miles but after updates drops to 203 and then 196. Now 187miles, location is in Tampa FL. I will try to do the battery calibration now. Will let you guys know. Thanks
So this thread may answer a question I’ve had for a long time. As the battery degrades does the software calculate the degregation into what the standard range has access to? I was hoping that the range the SR would stay consistent as the degregation affects the portion of the battery we don’t have access to (the top 10%) but reading the comments here it sounds like the software over time adjusts this down? I’m at 18k miles (aug 2020 SR build) and haven’t noticed a loss but I rarely drive it long distance to test the true range.

So this thread may answer a question I’ve had for a long time. As the battery degrades does the software calculate the degregation into what the standard range has access to? I was hoping that the range the SR would stay consistent as the degregation affects the portion of the battery we don’t have access to (the top 10%) but reading the comments here it sounds like the software over time adjusts this down? I’m at 18k miles (aug 2020 SR build) and haven’t noticed a loss but I rarely drive it long distance to test the true range.

unfortunately it affects the 90% we have access to. Down to 190 miles at full charge for me @ 32K miles, even lower actual miles :( Great for everyday, but not for long trips.

I will complain if it drops further b/f warranty expiration, but looks like it has stabilized over the past year or so. I'm hoping they'll just unlock for the 10% as part of the warranty

One other thought, based on some recent threads- Does being SR mean we also have a Reserve?

If we drive to 0% charge, do we actually still have 10% range left? The battery knows for sure, I'm less sure the other software will work right, but I think there is a chance this will work because it's based on actual battery voltage, not estimates.

If anyone ever tries this even accidentally, it'd be great to know what actually happens.

One other thought, based on some recent threads- Does being SR mean we also have a Reserve?

If we drive to 0% charge, do we actually still have 10% range left? The battery knows for sure, I'm less sure the other software will work right, but I think there is a chance this will work because it's based on actual battery voltage, not estimates.

If anyone ever tries this even accidentally, it'd be great to know what actually happens.

we do have a reserve (since it can be unlocked, some have ) Rest of the questions unsure

Good to know at least one other person has the similar range as my car. I'm right around 193 on full charge, which is down a *lot* from the starting point of 218. I asked Tesla service about it, but of course they had nothing useful to say.

My only ever said Standard Range, I took delivery in March 2020... Yeah, then. $35,400 and some mods later, and this car is a steal. I really like the cheating the system aspect of getting a car this good for so cheap. No Autopilot, just stock cruise control.

My best guess on the lowered range is that I don't run it low very much at all. Lowest I've been is maybe once to 18% or so. I think the pack cannot calibrate properly without seeing a deeper cycle once in awhile. That's tough to do when I've got... 3100 miles total. c-19 has me mostly homebound.

However- lots to still like. It was 102 degrees here today, and no AC in the house. From 4:30 to 6:30 I took my laptop to my car, and ran the AC there. Used about 10% of the battery. :cool:

I'm down to 182 on a full charge. I took delivery 6/30/19 but don't remember what the starting point was. Anyone here confirm it's 218 for all? It even said SR+ for awhile and now SR (should have filed a claim then ;) ) . It has been stable at ~180s for a while now and I wonder if it has to do with the heat in AZ. 15% loss? What is warranty % limit on SR?

I agree with you $35,400 is a steal. I also got the fed tax credit, but used part of it toward the AP upgrade. Might ask for unlocking to SR+ IF TSLA still allows it

No longer the same dilemma with the SR Y. Price is close to LR and not really avail. even if off menu like 3 was

No, 0% is really 0%. When you charge to 100%, you’ve actually only charged to 90% (or whatever the number actually is based on how much they lock out to make a SR).

The lockout is at the top of the battery, not the bottom.

Right-o, my bad. It's definitely off the top. Wishful thinking.

I'm down to 182 on a full charge. I took delivery 6/30/19 but don't remember what the starting point was. Anyone here confirm it's 218 for all? It even said SR+ for awhile and now SR (should have filed a claim then ;) ) . It has been stable at ~180s for a while now and I wonder if it has to do with the heat in AZ. 15% loss? What is warranty % limit on SR?

I agree with you $35,400 is a steal. I also got the fed tax credit, but used part of it toward the AP upgrade. Might ask for unlocking to SR+ IF TSLA still allows it

No longer the same dilemma with the SR Y. Price is close to LR and not really avail. even if off menu like 3 was

Mine got down to 192, from 212 when I first had the car. N. Cal. so not extreme temps, and also only 3400 miles, so barely used.

One thing I did was try the rebalance technique recommended in a different thread, where you cycle the battery for more extremes so that the BatteryManagementSystem can determine the actual cell values, and rebalance them all. I ran the battery down to 6% and left it for a day to idle/detect, then charged to 100% (our 90%) and let it sit there too because 100 is not 100 for us. After doing that, my predicted range went back up to 202.

Also worth noting that I contacted support about the lower range, and they said everything was within spec from the logs and querying the car.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Right-o, my bad. It's definitely off the top. Wishful thinking.

Mine got down to 192, from 212 when I first had the car. N. Cal. so not extreme temps, and also only 3400 miles, so barely used.

One thing I did was try the rebalance technique recommended in a different thread, where you cycle the battery for more extremes so that the BatteryManagementSystem can determine the actual cell values, and rebalance them all. I ran the battery down to 6% and left it for a day to idle/detect, then charged to 100% (our 90%) and let it sit there too because 100 is not 100 for us. After doing that, my predicted range went back up to 202.

Also worth noting that I contacted support about the lower range, and they said everything was within spec from the logs and querying the car.

Yeah I contacted support about the lower range, and they said everything was within spec too, early on. I thought fine I'll wait if it drops more I will reach out. It hasn't for years now.

I haven't done the cycling yet, esp. letting it sit at 6% for a while. Maybe over the spring. Too scary with the warnings to charge now etc. I do get down that % just not for long.

I do go to 100% routinely though with impunity (Sr only saving grace!)

I have my 2020 SR+ for 3 years now at 41k miles, has had a little bit of history (none on my fault), but it's been pretty good.

Some things happened for the past 3 years:
- Car accident on the driver side rear quarter panel, which is fixed better than when it came with (especially the paint quality)
- Coolant bottle failed (replaced for free by warranty)
- Had 12V battery failed (replaced for free by warranty)
- The slow moving mechanism for the glove box failed (I still need to get it fixed...)

But other than that, it's been good for the most part. Although my battery range at 100% is only showing about 205 miles, which is almost a 20% battery degradation. Not sure if I should ask Tesla for some sort of battery report, might do so when I am requesting for an end of warranty inspection in about 5-6k miles time.

Hey all, curious how many SR are still out there? After after owning 2 different SR cars I'm finally throwing in the towel and getting one of the discounted new standard range model 3s (non highland) . With the current M3 discounts and Federal/State tax credits available it just made sense to trade it in to Tesla plus with the current version having the bigger battery, heat pump (I'm in a colder climate), heated rear seats/steering wheel, autopilot helped sell it for me. I'm continuing as a value shopper as buying the cheapest RWD standard range M3.

One thing that was interesting is in the past Carvana, Vroom and others have always quoted me a higher trade in value. Tesla actually gave me a better value (by about $2k) and I wonder if it's because they are the only company that has the ability to take my SR back and unlock the software (at no cost to them) to convert it back to a SR+.

Overall we've had a good experience with our SR. Our current one was one of the last ones that Tesla made before they did away with the SR program when we purchased it Sept 2020. With the exception of a failed window sensor the car has been maintenance free since we purchased it.

One thing that was interesting is in the past Carvana, Vroom and others have always quoted me a higher trade in value. Tesla actually gave me a better value (by about $2k) and I wonder if it's because they are the only company that has the ability to take my SR back and unlock the software (at no cost to them) to convert it back to a SR+.

Overall we've had a good experience with our SR. Our current one was one of the last ones that Tesla made before they did away with the SR program when we purchased it Sept 2020. With the exception of a failed window sensor the car has been maintenance free since we purchased it.

+1 with positive SR experience. I'm trying to have my son take the car instead of a new civic/corolla. Curious what TSLA offered you

+1 with positive SR experience. I'm trying to have my son take the car instead of a new civic/corolla. Curious what TSLA offered you
$24.1k with 32k miles (2020SR). We get the sales tax credit where I live (CO) so that works out to offset about $2.2k. I think I could sell it for more than $26.3k (maybe $27k) but I don't think it's enough that it's worth the hassle. Maybe I'll ping the local Tesla club to see if anyone might be interested as I don't take delivery for a week.