Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Female engineer sues Tesla, describing a culture of 'pervasive harassment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife is an Electrical Engineer and is a licensed Professional Engineer. It was quite the process to obtain that license. She doesn't necessarily need it for her day to day work, but it does help when being considered for certain promotions. Additionally you have to have worked under a PE for a certain amount of time to become one yourself so it is beneficial to the company to have enough PEs on staff even if it is not required for the particular position they are in.
What industry?

When offending posts are moved, there is often collateral damage based on responses within the conversation. Your post would have had no context in this thread without the other post. :)

Gotcha.

When the Model 3 comes out and the crowd gets younger the mods on this site are going to be constantly breaking up fights. The snippinrss thread is going to be epic.

Reactions: Pezpunk
Update on the female engineer who alleged harassment at Fremont. Tesla fired her.

Tesla fires female engineer who alleged sexual harassment

“Despite repeatedly receiving special treatment at the expense of others, Ms Vandermeyden nonetheless chose to pursue a miscarriage of justice by suing Tesla and falsely attacking our company in the press,” a Tesla spokesperson said. “After we carefully considered the facts on multiple occasions and were absolutely convinced that Ms Vandermeyden’s claims were illegitimate, we had no choice but to end her employment at Tesla.”

Yea, firing her wasn't a great move. Best to let the process play out and then terminate after. Clearly the timing elicits retaliation claims, especially because temporally the adverse employment action happened after the claims of discrimination and work place malfeasance happened. Also, Tesla promoted her and touted that as non-discriminatory intent and so that backfired even more. Tesla really should hire the HR manager I know because she received many awards helping Abbott Labs in the 1990s and other companies in the 2000s. Abbott Labs was like the #1 manufacturing company back then and Tesla really needs to think and act like a big company and not like a start up. That start up mentality is great at the beginning but limits growth as a company matures.

Reactions: Owner and MS16
Maybe her firing is intended to send a message to other disgruntled workers in Fremont, 'this is what happens if you speak out.'

I almost fell off my chair when I read the quote from the Tesla spokesperson “Despite repeatedly receiving special treatment at the expense of others,.." Admitting "special treatment at the expense of others" sounds like an odd defense.

Reactions: croman
Maybe her firing is intended to send a message to other disgruntled workers in Fremont, 'this is what happens if you speak out.'

I almost fell off my chair when I read the quote from the Tesla spokesperson “Despite repeatedly receiving special treatment at the expense of others,.." Admitting "special treatment at the expense of others" sounds like an odd defense.
Whenever you promote somebody it is in some sense "at the expense of others".

Reactions: FlatSix911
Whenever you promote somebody it is in some sense "at the expense of others".

Yet "special treatment at the expense of others" is something entirely different than a standard merit based promotion.

And what to make of Tesla's statement that filing a claim about harassment is pursuing "a miscarriage of justice by suing Tesla".

That's another very odd statement for Tesla to make.

Update on the female engineer who alleged harassment at Fremont. Tesla fired her.

Tesla fires female engineer who alleged sexual harassment

“Despite repeatedly receiving special treatment at the expense of others, Ms Vandermeyden nonetheless chose to pursue a miscarriage of justice by suing Tesla and falsely attacking our company in the press,” a Tesla spokesperson said. “After we carefully considered the facts on multiple occasions and were absolutely convinced that Ms Vandermeyden’s claims were illegitimate, we had no choice but to end her employment at Tesla.”

I wish the media would stop claiming that Ms Vandermeyden was an Engineer ... no degree :cool:
She was clearly not qualified as an Engineer and relied on social promotion for advancement.

Last edited:
Is suing your employer not an appropriate grounds for termination? It seems like suing your employer is hostile move, so why would the employer want to continue that working relationship?

It depends what the suit is about, if the suit is about a "protected activity" firing an employee could be considered a retaliatory move, which according to the article is what the attorney is alleging in this case.

This one is tricky.

I can certainly sympathize with Tesla if/when they felt the employee was completely in the wrong. Dismissing her seems understandable in that sense. Frankly, I sympathize even Trump firing Comey if we believe he thought he was simply in the wrong too much and not an ulterior motive (and a lot of people on all sides certainly thought Comey was a disaster).

But be that as it may - just like Trump firing Comey on the bigger stage - Tesla firing Vandermeyden simply looks all wrong. The optics are terrible when it seems like you are retaliating at someone shining unfavorable legal light on you... and what's worse have a serious chance at backfiring down the road.

Sometimes it pays just to work through certain unpleasant things and let the process solve them, even if you feel you are being wronged. This act seems premature and risky. Not to mention the chance that this leaves open the other interpretation: that Tesla is not being wronged, but is the one doing Vandermeyden wrong instead...

Then again, with the mess Tesla has been recently, this one certainly fits. It no longer surprises, that's for sure. Hubris? Or just a terrible corporate culture?

• Love
Reactions: oktane
She strikes back again! New claims emerge amidst the company holding a crowded meeting with factory workers and executives about the issue. What do you guys think? I've always thought Tesla has a better workplace than other tech companies, but these reports say otherwise??
Report: Women discuss discrimination, harassment and "predator zone" at Tesla
TLDR: Tesla says that the claims from that specific woman are false, and the company has and is taking steps to address the issue.

She strikes back again! New claims emerge amidst the company holding a crowded meeting with factory workers and executives about the issue. What do you guys think? I've always thought Tesla has a better workplace than other tech companies, but these reports say otherwise??
Report: Women discuss discrimination, harassment and "predator zone" at Tesla
TLDR: Tesla says that the claims from that specific woman are false, and the company has and is taking steps to address the issue.
The article says that Vandermeyden attended the meeting at the factory. If so, then this meeting took place prior to the week of June 1.