Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Few new superchargers in the US?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems there aren't many new supercharger locations in the US in the last 12 months. Building hasn't picked up with the release of the new V3 version. We can use some more superchargers in Colorado.

Looks like 160 new locations added in North America in 2019, according to supercharge.info, so about the same rate as 2018 which saw 166 new locations.

The one in Idaho springs still says coming 2019... 2 weeks before year end

that’s quite the hopeful attitude at this rate.

The projected opening bit on Tesla's maps is largely meaningless. Come 2020, it will flip to that year.

It seems there aren't many new supercharger locations in the US in the last 12 months. Building hasn't picked up with the release of the new V3 version. We can use some more superchargers in Colorado.

Just picked up a new M3P this past Saturday in Denver and was surprised how few superchargers there are out here. Looks like the only one "close" to me would be close to the airport like 8 miles from me. It would be great if a few more were installed.

Just picked up a new M3P this past Saturday in Denver and was surprised how few superchargers there are out here. Looks like the only one "close" to me would be close to the airport like 8 miles from me. It would be great if a few more were installed.

Superchargers don't need to be close to you. They need to be on your way to someplace far away. First place we stop is typically 200 miles away from home.
Adding ~160 Superchargers per year semms like a small number compared to how many there already are.

Superchargers don't need to be close to you. They need to be on your way to someplace far away. First place we stop is typically 200 miles away from home.
Adding ~160 Superchargers per year semms like a small number compared to how many there already are.

That totally makes sense. I ordered the home charger from Tesla two weeks ago, but haven't heard anything since. I guess I was just thinking it would be cool to have a supercharger close until that happens. The 120v charger is pretty slow at the moment, but you're totally correct.

"8 miles" ??? Do you want a station at the end of your block?

The WHOLE state of Arkansas only has ONE station, for the whole state! Others coming soon since 2017.
Heading west from Little Rock your only choices are RV parks.

Looks like 160 new locations added in North America in 2019, according to supercharge.info, so about the same rate as 2018 which saw 166 new locations.

And pretty similar to 2017 too (where they only added ~350 worldwide).

Which is a problem, given Tesla began selling a LOT more cars year over year from 2017->2018, and a LOT more again from 2018->2019.

And almost certainly a LOT more again 19->20 with the Y launching earlyish in 2020.

20 in the US isn't many, which is my point. What is going on?
Well, that was 20 since mid-November and it's mid-December now, so that's a fair pace: 20 in a month. I know of a bunch under construction. However, it does seem that V3 has slowed down. There are stations that look ready to flip the switch, but are still not online. Or they come on for a one-day tease (test run?) and then go dark. There have been several along the TCH like this in the past week or two. Growing pains with the new hardware? I think Tesla is doing a decent job rolling these out, but not fast enough to make us all happy. I imagine most of us can name at least one location that gets maxed out frequently (I'm lookin' at you, Buellton), and could use some additional capacity nearby to spread the load.

20 in the US isn't many, which is my point. What is going on?
Rollout had really slowed in anticipation of v3 superchargers, I suspect. It's started to pick up again, but still isn't as fast as usual for this time of year in the US. I do agree with others here that once the trans-Canada is complete attention will turn back to American superchargers in Q1.