Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Figuring out rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an 85D currently at 9,000 miles. I have done one range charge at about 7k and got 275. All my charges work out percentage wise to 275 miles at full range (50%=138, 70%=193, etc.) My range increased shortly after I got the car when they did the refresh model. I think I got a small benefit (5 miles) in a software update right around that time. People talk about out of balance packs but I have not seen it. Either it is a myth, or the newer cars are not affected by it.

My only caveat is that the car has not yet seen temperatures below freezing. It has seen the rest of the spectrum, including a very hot summer.
All cars are affected by the algorithm calibration and balancing issue. Even the older batteries that they don't make anymore like the 85D. It doesn't mean your battery is degraded. It just means the software that is used to do the range calculations periodically gets out of whack.

I wouldn't read into too much about the hype. Keep in mind how they were using the battery pack. It was driven daily and charged to 100% daily. This means they were not at 100% for long each day. Also since their service is regular they might be scheduling it such that they just finished 100% charging once their service start. Again nothing wrong with 100% just as long as you use it right away. I think it is more of a way to promote tesla as well as tesla and tesloop.

Point is I would not trust the hype and apply it normally used tesla cars. It is possible You will have more than 6% degradation after 200K miles.
It's one very interesting data point reported by Tesloop themselves, not Tesla hype.
I find it very encouraging that this high mileage car, routinely charged to 100% (against recommendations) had only a minor capacity loss.
As always, YMMV.

All cars are affected by the algorithm calibration and balancing issue. Even the older batteries that they don't make anymore like the 85D. It doesn't mean your battery is degraded. It just means the software that is used to do the range calculations periodically gets out of whack.

My point was just the opposite, that my range never decreased. I only got a one time, upward bump. Otherwise the charged range equates to the exact percentage of 275.2 miles

With regard to the OP's inquiry, my opinion is that rated range is an illusion. Drive your car enough miles in your daily pattern, and then your road trip style, and measure your actual RR consumed versus odometer miles. Available odometer miles is what's really important and varies with terrain, weather and driving style. It's the ultimate YMMV!

My car "consumes" one mile of RR for every 273W of power consumed. My lifetime average is 303W/mi so broadly speaking, I can expect to be able to drive about 10% less than the RR shown on the dash. But my road trip consumption is more like 285 and my around town is more like 320, not unlike an ICE. Further, your actual consumption is to some degree under your control (speed and driving style), while battery degradation is just going to happen.

I lived on a "battery" boat for five years and became very very aware of the consumption and charge curves under a wide variety of operating situations. My last suggestion is to understand that the batteries are chemistry, not digital electronics and all the algorithms and electronics ultimately are making a guess at what's happening with the chemistry. They are pretty good, but it's not like putting putting a float in a gas tank and knowing that you have exactly 10.2 gallons (if you're not on a hill!).

If you are trying to figure your total energy consumption,don't forget the vampire. I look at the amount of rated range used, multiply it by the epa factor to get kw, then divide by odo change to get approx.real watts per mi. Add Loss in charging due to inefficiency to the kw calc, and you get pretty good approximation of useage at the meter. (I think I wrote that right). If you are like me and make several short trips a day, total consumption can get ugly in a hurry. On a road trip, the figures can get pretty close. When we quote our consumption, we tend to forget the 40 to 10% lost in charging. Charging at 110 volts is ugly as it can use 30-40% of the electricity for overhead.