Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final: A master photographer gives the Model S his best shot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DSC_5530sm.jpg

Master product photographer Rick Levinson asked me if I'd be willing to bring my Model S into his studio so he could work his magic. His studio is in Burlington, Vermont — not exactly a hotbed for studio car photography. Just the fact that Rick's studio can accommodate a car is pretty impressive in these parts. (His usual clients include ski and snowboard companies, Ben & Jerry's, and a variety of other nationally known Vermont brands.)

DSC_5508sm.jpg

With the help of two assistants and a lot of digital know-how, a gorgeous portrait of my pearl white Model S has been captured. I was in charge of buffing and tire cleaning. It was all done just for fun, inspired by an object of beauty.

Todd_WashSM.jpg

Details, details. I did my best to get the car looking factory new again. I received my Model S in March. And in case you're wondering, the car is Pearl White.

DSC_5498sm.jpg

Photographer Rick Levinson searched for the best angle and camera elevation. I find that the Model S photographs better with a longer-than-normal focal length lens.

DSC_5525sm.jpg

Ghost in the studio! An assistant moves a black card to create some darker reflections. When you're working with a white car against a white backdrop, sometimes it makes sense to nudge the reflections in the other direction. One of the main goals was to capture the beautiful sculpted shape of the side of the car.

DSC_5523sm.jpg

Assistants hold a board above the windshield to eliminate ceiling reflections. The plan was to later paste the windshield into the main image.

DSC_5503sm.jpg

Rick splices together the best "pieces" of the car.

Car_Final_3aSM.jpg

Voila! The finished product. Rick also shot some beautiful detail photos...

TeslaDetails.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful, Todd! And it's always fun to see what other pros have in their studios: Rick's camera support system, for instance, is to die for. I can imagine what a monster softbox he has overhead (or did he shoot it with just the octabox that shows as a windshield reflection in one of the first photos?), and how big the studio must be overall. Looking forward to the 'rest of the story'.

By the way: you're a lucky man to get a photo like this without having to pay Rick's day rate and studio fees. :biggrin:

Last edited:
The looking down the drivers side shot is great!

So hard to do.

- - - Updated - - -

... I can imagine what a monster softbox he has overhead ...

From the 2nd shot in the thread it looks like he is bouncing light off a white ceiling. Then in PS cleaning up the reflected pipes and beams and piecing the car parts (side, windshield, etc.) together.

Thank you for sharing, it was a great insight into the process of photography at this level.

The only thing that jumps out at me is that in the final shot you lose the glass roof of the car, it looks white. All of the other angles and lines of the car are captured beautifully.