Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally drove a Model Y…it was incredible!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LR is plenty fast., even without the boost. Changed how I perceive gaps in traffic.

Very rarely I'll get on it at a light, if someone wants to go fast. Never lost (about 5 times in 18 months), until a Porsche behind me kept up. I realized it was the fast EV Porsche later as he passed me. Gave him a peace sign and he smiled and nodded. Wife was not too happy we were doing 70 in a 45 zone (but a closed highway, it was safe). And she agreed to race the dude before, so OK.

My favorite was a mid 2000's Chevy GT something or other (sporty version of something). He was really on it, trying to beat me to a merge. I wasn't even really pushing it, lots of driveways and parking lots around. Only took about 5mm more go pedal to get by him.

The Tesla definitely made me more of a a---- driver sometimes. (literally maybe 5 times in 18 months).

Can you cite them? I have tried a few times to find controlled, instrumented tests. Car and Driver tests the standard MYLR at 4.4 seconds. If the upgrade is truly worth 0.5 seconds, then it should be in the realm of 4 seconds.
Car and Driver always excludes the 1-foot rollout from their 0-60 times as you can see in the specifications section at the bottom of their reviews. They listed the rollout time as .3 seconds which mean the LR took 4.7 seconds according to their test. So AB does take around .5 sec off the time to 4.2 sec like Tesla said.

Also the real MYP 0-60 is about 3.7-3.8 sec because Tesla's 3.5 sec of the MYP does exclude the rollout time.

Yeah I really am torn. The price difference between the two is not that much after I spec out the MYLR with 20” wheels and add in the acceleration boost. I think I’m still going with the MYP. I am curious about how stiff the suspension is on the MYP though. Also, what tires it comes with and what the tread wear rating is.

The only way to find out if the car is right for you is test drive it at your local Tesla store. Schedule a test drive back to back with a LR vs. Performance. Treadwear between both is probably comparable and you'll use them up in about ~25k miles. After that, you can change to whatever tire you want.

Reactions: CuriousWren
Car and Driver always excludes the 1-foot rollout from their 0-60 times as you can see in the specifications section at the bottom of their reviews. They listed the rollout time as .3 seconds which mean the LR took 4.7 seconds according to their test. So AB does take around .5 sec off the time to 4.2 sec like Tesla said.

Also the real MYP 0-60 is about 3.7-3.8 sec because Tesla's 3.5 sec of the MYP does exclude the rollout time.
Bingo. Most folks don't know that Tesla advertises MYLR and MYP 0-60 times differently to confuse people into thinking that the difference is bigger than reality. Industry convention is to publish 0-60 and quarter mile times without rollout. Tesla advertise MYP without rollout and MYLR with rollout. In reality, they are likely under 1 second difference. C&D instrumented tests without rollout: MYLR 4.4 vs. MYP 3.6; with rollout: MYLR 4.7 vs. MYP 3.9.

Throw in AB, and it is probably under 0.5 second difference.

What I have yet to find anywhere is a controlled, instrumented test of MY+AB 0-60 that is equivalent to C&D's tests. Most runs are somebody's Dragy run on a side street. It sound be 4 seconds or a little under.

Last edited:
This is old news to most of you but I had never been inside a Tesla before today. It was a MYLR with 20" Induction wheels. I am planning to order a MYP in mid July but after driving the LR I am questioning if I need that much more speed. I couldn't believe how fast the MY was! I have had some fast cars in the past and the MYLR felt like it was on a whole different level. I was also very impressed with the overall build quality and fit & finish inside. The seats were also very comfortable!
I'd go with the 19's. If you guy the MYP dump the Ubers ASAP. They kill the range and are curb magnets. For most people I'd suggest going with Martian wheels (or similar) in a 19x8.5" wheel. The narrower width gives a bit more sidewall to protect the rim from rash. I had good rang with them on my MYLR w/boost. Very good ride quality too. They were much lighter than stock. When I bought my Y, the P was about 8k more or something crazy like that so I went with the LR and added boost. It absolutely was the best decision at the time. Currently with only a 4k price delta, I'd buy the P, and dump the wheels. Makes no sense to buy the LR, add boost, and you are halfway to the P. No real resale value to having added boost for the most part.

Plaid makes the difference from 60 to 150 MPH. M3P and MYP look drastically pale in that speed bracket ( figure PLAID is at least TWICE as fast)
Under 60 its all "the same" - stupid fast. With only a second difference - you really can't notice due to the utter chaos in any of the teslas from stand still
Plaid just crushes all other Teslas at any speed. It isn't just 0-60 mph +, it is 80 mph, at 120 mph, it doesn't really matter the Plaid just pushes you back on the seat with no fuss. The refreshed MS LR will at least somewhat keep it in sight once you are at 60 mph but the Plaid is still running away from it.

Let's look at the g forces for some 0-60 times. All times are calculated the same way, no with or without rollout). All are times you can realistically run on the street. Plaid can go quicker on a sticky track.

4.8 seconds (MY LR) = 0.57g
4.2 seconds (MY LR boosted and stock M3 LR)= 0.65g
3.7 seconds (M3 LR boosted and MYP) = 0.74g
3.3 seconds (M3P) = 0.83g
2.2 seconds Plaid = 1.24g
1.99 seconds Plaid on a track = 1.37g

For me my daily driver is hat M3 LR w/boost. It is about the perfect balance of power and quickness to enjoy driving every day. While the time to 60 is about the same as the MYP, the P launches a bit harder but then lets up. I like the more linear power of the M3 LR w/boost. It it also much quicker than an MYP once rolling as well. Think of the 3/Y P models as just an extra acceleration boost to 60 mph that don't help much above that. Once rolling an MYP isn't really any quicker than an MY LR w/boost but it is much quicker at the initial hit.

So for OP, buy the MYP, ditch the wheels, call it a day. No point in pay 2k for boost when they are so close in price. There will always be some sucker who wants the Ubers so you can likely dump that at a wash in price and get enough to buy a lightweight 19" wheel and good tires. I love how they look, just so impractical unless you have perfect roads and no curbs to deal with.

We own a 2023 MYP and love it. We have some 20 year old's around and pin limit the speed which changes the vehicle to LR level acceleration or "chill" mode. I recently tried non chill by turning off the pin speed limit and the acceleration, that I own, and it is actually borderline scary.
My advice, don't go with the MYP, stick with LR and no need to waste funds on boost unless the LR owners in this post and attest to needing it.
Put the money toward EAP. How did I get a MYP, when I was in the market, LRs were sold out and we did not want to wait, but def no regrets.

I'd go with the 19's. If you guy the MYP dump the Ubers ASAP. They kill the range and are curb magnets. For most people I'd suggest going with Martian wheels (or similar) in a 19x8.5" wheel. The narrower width gives a bit more sidewall to protect the rim from rash. I had good rang with them on my MYLR w/boost. Very good ride quality too. They were much lighter than stock. When I bought my Y, the P was about 8k more or something crazy like that so I went with the LR and added boost. It absolutely was the best decision at the time. Currently with only a 4k price delta, I'd buy the P, and dump the wheels. Makes no sense to buy the LR, add boost, and you are halfway to the P. No real resale value to having added boost for the most part.

Plaid just crushes all other Teslas at any speed. It isn't just 0-60 mph +, it is 80 mph, at 120 mph, it doesn't really matter the Plaid just pushes you back on the seat with no fuss. The refreshed MS LR will at least somewhat keep it in sight once you are at 60 mph but the Plaid is still running away from it.

Let's look at the g forces for some 0-60 times. All times are calculated the same way, no with or without rollout). All are times you can realistically run on the street. Plaid can go quicker on a sticky track.

4.8 seconds (MY LR) = 0.57g
4.2 seconds (MY LR boosted and stock M3 LR)= 0.65g
3.7 seconds (M3 LR boosted and MYP) = 0.74g
3.3 seconds (M3P) = 0.83g
2.2 seconds Plaid = 1.24g
1.99 seconds Plaid on a track = 1.37g

For me my daily driver is hat M3 LR w/boost. It is about the perfect balance of power and quickness to enjoy driving every day. While the time to 60 is about the same as the MYP, the P launches a bit harder but then lets up. I like the more linear power of the M3 LR w/boost. It it also much quicker than an MYP once rolling as well. Think of the 3/Y P models as just an extra acceleration boost to 60 mph that don't help much above that. Once rolling an MYP isn't really any quicker than an MY LR w/boost but it is much quicker at the initial hit.

So for OP, buy the MYP, ditch the wheels, call it a day. No point in pay 2k for boost when they are so close in price. There will always be some sucker who wants the Ubers so you can likely dump that at a wash in price and get enough to buy a lightweight 19" wheel and good tires. I love how they look, just so impractical unless you have perfect roads and no curbs to deal with.

Fantastic info, thank you!!

Plaid makes the difference from 60 to 150 MPH. M3P and MYP look drastically pale in that speed bracket ( figure PLAID is at least TWICE as fast)
Under 60 its all "the same" - stupid fast. With only a second difference - you really can't notice due to the utter chaos in any of the teslas from stand still
With “only” a second difference at the 0-60 end, that is still significant when dealing with low number to begin with. Big percentage difference and yes it can be felt.

That being said, most people are more than satisfied with a LR.

Last edited:
With “only” a second difference at the 0-60 end, that is still significant when dealing with low number to begin with. Big percentage difference and yes it can be felt.

That being said, most people are more than satisfied with a LR.

that's why i placed "" around the word only :)
I realize a second is huge when things go below 5. I was just saying that generally tesla's acceleration is such chaos its hard to notice.

Reactions: SO16
MYP Pros: ~3.5 second 0-60
MYP Cons: Heavy wheels, loss of range, stiff suspension

MYLR+AB Pros: Softer suspension, longer range, less costly
MYLR+AB Cons: ~4.0 second 0-60 (slightly slower than the MYP)
The MYP suspension is pretty much same as MYLR. Both have “comfort suspension”. MYP is about 0.5” lower in height.

the 21” super stretched low profile wheels on the MYP will offer a harsher ride and a tad more cabin noise which can be mitigated via putting different tires on the 21” which offer a bit more sidewall , putting 20” , 19” or even 18” wheels on the MYP. the smaller wheel sizes increase Range to be on par with MYLR If you can stop yourself from using the insane acceleration 🤣. MYP has a chill mode which helps deter frequent fast starts off the line. I made the ability to switch modes to my left steering wheel button 🤣.

Excellent points all around! I think this is what I will do. MYLR+ Acceleration Boost
Consider:

MYLR ($50.5K)+AB($2K)+INDUCTIONS($2K)=$54.5K

MYP=$54.5K

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230623_061500_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230623_061500_Samsung Internet.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 55
been EVs since 2016 and I can clearly say that you can get to work, home & anywhere faster. Nobody likes traffic but driving EVs will ease the stress on the road and charge @ home.
Exactly.

I drive the base model Y (RWD) and it's got plenty of acceleration/range already IMO. As I'm quite young I didn't think the extra €15k was worth it for my first Tesla.

LR/Performance is for people that either do longer trips regularly or like to smoke others when the light turns green.

I might go for a used Plaid Model X in the future though. I would love to experience Plaid acceleration.

Just buy the MYP if you were even remotely thinking about adding boost. I have to say my stock MY LR was what I'd barely call a quick car. Add some people in and next thing you know. you are over 5 seconds 0-60. So if acceleration is even remotely of interest to you, buy the P. The rear spoiler adds a bit of curb appeal as well.

Keep in mind you don't have to exercise the power all the time. You may find it nice to have at times. The P is so close to the LR in price, it is almost a no brainer if you value acceleration and curb appeal.

I will have to say that I don't think either MY version rides as well as my stock M3 LR did. There is a fix for that if you swap out the stock suspension but you are looking at least 3k for the parts alone and whatever it costs to install if you don't do it yourself. You'll need an alignment too.

Keep in mind that other than adding boost to an LR, not much you can do to ever make it quicker. You can always make the P "softer" later. When I tracked it more closely, it seemed the P's held their value a bit better than the other models. Not sure how it is now.

If you ever plan to tow, or use a bike rack, get the factory tow package up front. It will save you $$$ over adding it on later or you can go aftermarket. If you aftermarket, Tesla will not enable the tow mode.

Reactions: rolling green
I never recall an owner of a performance variant wishing they had the non performance tesla nor traded it in for one. I have however known several that sold their non performance and purchase a performance an M3 or MY. Of course this was a while ago when the used car market was on🔥. When bring that much doe to the table, might as well call, and bring home the prize.