Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally Installed Blackvue (DR750S-2CH)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I finally took the leap and installed the Blackvue DR750S-2CH in my Model S. The installation took @ 3 hours. Most of it was running the cable through the rear boot and into the trunk ( I wanted the installation to look as professional as possible). I must say it was well worth it. I will have the same camera professionally installed in my Wife's Model X (I'm not as confident that I can perform the installation considering the windshield). I'd like to thank @K-MTG for bringing this to my attention. I was ready to pull the trigger on the DR650S-2CH before I saw his post regarding the new model. BTW I purchased the DR750S-2CH w/ 128GB SD for $415 shipped from hdvideodepot.com (authorized reseller). You can use code "SUBCOUP5" to take 5 percent off.

Reactions: K-MTG
having Geek Squad at Best Buy install it for me.
I heard horror stories from geek squad...not sure if applicable to all cars though

I've previously had a company locally that does police cruiser radios/lights installation put some two-way radios in my car. They did FANTASTIC work. Haven't had the guts to ask about the Tesla (I'm afraid they'll break something), as they're used to working on main-stream GM/Ford/etc. that police tend to use. They're also not shy about drilling, though it does look good in the end.

I just purchased mine and should be getting it in couple of days. I'm not very tech savvy but can't find any in-depth videos describing the entire installation so, having Geek Squad at Best Buy install it for me.

Please hold off on that. In another post you mentioned $50 for each camera install. That scares me especially on a car of this caliber. You want to find someone in your area that has done a lot of installs on a Model S. There are airbags and routing challenges and you want a safe install and a clean professionally done one. Much rather see you get a local recommendation from a fellow owner here. You might try looking through the posts on the Mid-Atlantic section to see if anyone posted for Philly area. If not, I'd suggest starting a thread there for a recommendation.

Mid-Atlantic

Also I've seen owners comment about having some issues with dark tinting and dashcam use. Sure it depends on the tint so research that too. I've read here that even dark tinting on windows has impacted seeing auto-dimming mirrors at night. Make sure your safe and don't have to pay to get the tint removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: futurem3owner
Please hold off on that. In another post you mentioned $50 for each camera install. That scares me especially on a car of this caliber. You want to find someone in your area that has done a lot of installs on a Model S. There are airbags and routing challenges and you want a safe install and a clean professionally done one.

Good to know. Will try searching around for other installers with more experience with a Tesla. Thanks.

Got quoted $375 here in socal for both front and back. Dayam that's like the cost of the camera.

Yeah, we got a good deal on our 650S-2 ch from a tip on here back in early spring and the install, around $400 I think here in the SF Bay area, was more than what we paid for the camera. But we knew it was done professionally and didn't worry about something being misrouted as they had done hundreds of MS and MXs. More important than the cost of the camera or install was knowing our car wasn't damaged or compromised. Piece of mind when you're not handy to do the job yourself. Plus you have to factor in the time to install 2 camera. OP said it took him 3 hours and that sounds about right for what we had done. They washed our car too. Done by a local detailer who does tint, wraps, electronic installs.

Last edited:
Yeah, we got a good deal on our 650S-2 ch from a tip on here back in early spring and the install, around $400 I think here in the SF Bay area, was more than what we paid for the camera. But we knew it was done professionally and didn't worry about something being misrouted as they had done hundreds of MS and MXs. More important than the cost of the camera or install was knowing our car wasn't damaged or compromised. Piece of mind when you're not handy to do the job yourself. Plus you have to factor in the time to install 2 camera. OP said it took him 3 hours and that sounds about right for what we had done. They washed our car too. Done by a local detailer who does tint, wraps, electronic installs.

I agree...you don't want to be the guinea pig of a new installer that doesn't have experience to save a few bucks.

Thanks for sharing your installation experience, NYEVDriver. A question: why have you switched from using the irrigation tube to fishing rod when pulling the camera wire through the grommet? Was it too tight with the tube or?

Thanks for sharing your installation experience, NYEVDriver. A question: why have you switched from using the irrigation tube to fishing rod when pulling the camera wire through the grommet? Was it too tight with the tube or?

You are correct. It was just too difficult to push the tube through the grommet. The fishing tool was much easier since it was more rigid.

Installing the BlackVue isn't that complicated, especially if you have the excess 12V wire in the microphone compartment. You'd run the remaining wire through the headliner and into the trunk area. The challenging part is getting it into and out of that rubber boot in the hatch. That alone took me about an hour. Once I got it through there (used metal hanger), the rest was cake.

• Informative
Reactions: DrivingRockies