Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally - national data on the number of BEVs and Teslas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@bj: thrilled to see you here!
Why, thanks!

I’ve been here about 4 years now, seeking a more Australian-focussed forum than the Tesla ones. But particularly over time I found the Tesla forum more and more toxic. Anyone who said even the slightest thing critical about Tesla was immediately labelled a “short”, a “troll” or a “hater”. Or just making the complaint up because they were working for Big Oil or Russian Trolls. Too much playing the man, not the ball, rarely addressing the concern raised.

And I found the relentless mocking and scorn over every non-Tesla EV to be tiresome. Apparently there was no set of circumstances, ever, in which someone could legitimately decide on an EV other than Tesla. Because every other EV was complete rubbish, you see, deliberately designed to be so in order to “poison the well” for EVs so much as to kill them off completely. Yes, some people actually believed that stuff - it was all a conspiracy.

When I pointed out such a view went against what Elon Musk himself says (that Tesla cannot do this by themselves and every manufacturer needs to start making EVs), and therefore they were actually working against his mission by taking such an aggressive Tesla-only stance - oh boy, did that really trigger them.

The RHD Waiting Room thread was a sane respite, because the Americans in the forum had no interest in that. When the RHD deliveries started and that thread was no longer needed, I got outta there.

Reactions: paulp
Why, thanks!

I’ve been here about 4 years now, seeking a more Australian-focussed forum than the Tesla ones. But particularly over time I found the Tesla forum more and more toxic. Anyone who said even the slightest thing critical about Tesla was immediately labelled a “short”, a “troll” or a “hater”. Or just making the complaint up because they were working for Big Oil or Russian Trolls. Too much playing the man, not the ball, rarely addressing the concern raised.

And I found the relentless mocking and scorn over every non-Tesla EV to be tiresome. Apparently there was no set of circumstances, ever, in which someone could legitimately decide on an EV other than Tesla. Because every other EV was complete rubbish, you see, deliberately designed to be so in order to “poison the well” for EVs so much as to kill them off completely. Yes, some people actually believed that stuff - it was all a conspiracy.

When I pointed out such a view went against what Elon Musk himself says (that Tesla cannot do this by themselves and every manufacturer needs to start making EVs), and therefore they were actually working against his mission by taking such an aggressive Tesla-only stance - oh boy, did that really trigger them.

The RHD Waiting Room thread was a sane respite, because the Americans in the forum had no interest in that. When the RHD deliveries started and that thread was no longer needed, I got outta there.
Yeah that tesla forum was quite a piece of work. Some very bad humans on there. I think it was actually the tesla rep (back when we were permitted to phone them) recommended I change to this forum instead. It did highlight the importance of the moderators though, as that place was a free for all.

Reactions: Vostok
Yes to all that, but it was intoxicating, personal if you could get in socially.
On here I have always seen it as too...I don't know, impersonal.

Anyway we looked at M3 in Melbourne, to my shock wife said I want one, just for the sound quality.

So it comes 24 June, inventory unit, white seats, white car. Long Range.
It didn't tick our boxes , but it has something else.

Reactions: Vostok and paulp
Yeah that tesla forum was quite a piece of work. Some very bad humans on there. I think it was actually the tesla rep (back when we were permitted to phone them) recommended I change to this forum instead. It did highlight the importance of the moderators though, as that place was a free for all.
@paulp: I think we used to interact there.
Supposed to be going to Adelaide but overly cautious about lockdowns: we got locked down in Melbourne (straight after buying the M30 then had to isolate in Tas for a further two weeks, so one week to go. We could collect the 3 in Melb and drive to Adel but it is so volatile, these lockdowns.

@paulp: I think we used to interact there.
Supposed to be going to Adelaide but overly cautious about lockdowns: we got locked down in Melbourne (straight after buying the M30 then had to isolate in Tas for a further two weeks, so one week to go. We could collect the 3 in Melb and drive to Adel but it is so volatile, these lockdowns.
I havnt been on that site in at least 6 years.
I’m tempting fate with a trip to Sydney next week. Did QLD earlier in the year and dodged a border closure each side of that journey by a day, so feeling lucky still.
But if I get stuck somewhere I’m not really fussed. Just extends the holiday
I note you have a plaid+ on order. Tesla cancelled the plaid+ yesterday. Its unknown if its a permanent or a temporary cancellation. I read it in some finance news.

Anyway we looked at M3 in Melbourne, to my shock wife said I want one, just for the sound quality.

So it comes 24 June, inventory unit, white seats, white car. Long Range.
I’m a bit jealous - I wanted white interior really badly but it was only available in Performance when Model 3 orders opened here. I waited for 3 months in the hope that would change, but in the end couldn’t hold out any longer and pulled the trigger, and picked my car up just before Christmas 2019.

I’m glad I did - I have not found the black interior too hot in summer, it grew on me aesthetically, and I’ve gotten to drive a Tesla for the past 18 months instead of waiting for that time 😄

There are now just over 15000 Tesla arrived in Australia since 2014. One third of them have arrived in the first half of 2021.
As at 31/3/21 there are officially 799 Teslas out of 1393 BEVS, plus 411 PHEVs and 15 FCEVs in WA which is 57%, more similar to other States.
Except they missed at least 65 cars in the new models EVS like Audi e-tron, Mercedes Benz EQC, MG ZS EV, Porsche Taycan, and Mini Electric, which will be corrected in 30/6/21 figures.
And they missed several Teslas in the early days of 2015.
We expect about 300 more Teslas to be added this quarter.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Finally the mainstream media have joined the dots and realized that there’s way more electric cars in Australia than what “officially” has previously been thought.

In fact more than three times as many - over 17,000 battery EVs sold in Australia last year, not 5149 as reported by FCAI (of which Tesla is not a member) hence their sales were conveniently ignored.

In other words, this thread topic was way ahead of its time! Joshua Dowling has merely caught up with us in his “exclusive”

Another article on the surge in EV sales.

Tesla sold more than ten times as many EVs as the next highest seller. That is quite incredible…

Hopefully it's OK to bump this thread, with some national stats based on VFACTS data.

Below are Tesla's market share of new BEVs in each state for both the 12-month period of 2022, and the 3-month period of Q1 2023. Third column is the change between the two percentage figures.

Interesting to see in which states Tesla is the most popular, and also the change between the two time periods.

This isn't scientific as it isn't raw numbers, and some manufacturers may have started/stopped deliveries at different times during the year, but still interesting.

1682579134798.png

I’m tempted to restart my Tesla NSW market share thread… all NSW registration data is now updated monthly in a Power BI dashboard, so the information is freely available to all, but it doesn’t provide trend information or timebased charts.

Is this data on a public URL?

Yep. It’s generally a great dashboard. If you want to know what percentage of Teslas in NSW are white, it can tell you (70.9%). If you want to know how many Teslas a registered in Ballina, Gunnedah or Parramatta, it can tell you that too (158, 0 and 1132 respectively).

Registration snapshot report (total position at a given point in time):

Registration transaction report (i.e. changes over a given period)

Reactions: B3AU