TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Finally put ceramic on the car. Some lessons learned.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Glamisduner, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

#41 Glamisduner, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    They kept the name, but it's been formulated to work in warmer climates:
    This is the video I watched prior to applying and purchasing.

Use 2.0 for colder climates. (3.0 will still work though).

2. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

CQuartz TiO2 50ml Kit

3. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

@Glamisduner - Off topic here, but I really like your wheels !! What manufacturer and what size are they ?

4. Glamisduner

#44 Glamisduner, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    They are Titan 7's in 19x9 +35 offset

5. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Thanks - They look impressive on your 3 !!

• Like x 1
  6. Glamisduner

7. bgreet

bgreet Member

While it was developed with colder weather climates in mind (like the UK), I thought it essentially just had a broader range of applicable temperatures when compared to the original product? Not necessarily that UK is only meant for colder weather environments.

8. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

9. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

Car looks great and I commend you! I don't have near the energy you do, so I had professionals do it for me: PPF wrap + CQuartz Finest Reserve ceramic coating. The ceramic guy had my car for 4 days, but it looked awesome when he finished! I'm planning to use RELOAD every few months to keep it up.

• Like x 1
  10. flashflooder

flashflooder Member

I used the same product on my white M3 and, like you said, it's almost impossible to see the product flashing/curing once it's on the white paint. I think I may have wiped it off too fast, due to this, because my coverage has never seemed that great.

11. Glamisduner

That's how I felt too but on the video I linked that compares the 3 products, it sounds like we applied it as it should have been done. 3.0 requires basically no cure time.

12. Mac Clark

Mac Clark New Member

13. Zelfiris

Zelfiris Member

OP, your car looks great!

Last time I used Cquartz UK on a black car.. just say I had some trouble with the lighting and I missed a few spots on the hood. Next day in the sun, it looks smear marks all over it. Now applying it to a white car, I'm sure it will even more difficult to see. But if you don't see it, maybe you don't need to worry about it. The protection is still there :)

• Like x 1
  14. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

You're all talking like the UK is some kind of frozen wasteland in need of shiny cars :) As a Brit now living in Texas, but with a decent amount of experience of west coast weather, there's not a massive difference in summer temperatures. Obviously this week has been a bit extreme, and I appreciate California swapping weather with Texas for the week (it's been lovely!), but generally in the summer the UK is wetter, and less sunny, but still in the 80's. Just dress in layers. And pack a brolly. You never know.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. bgreet

bgreet Member

:D appreciate the perspective

16. Hans Schulze

Hans Schulze Member

Whats a reasonable price to get this done by a pro? I have small touchups and other issues that i dont feel comfortable doing myself. Thanks for all the info.

17. Kilotango74

Kilotango74 Member

Great method. The only part I would skip is the washing after the polish. Use isopropyl alcohol and water mix or just the eraser pro and your good. All your looking for is to remove polish residue and by washing a drying you could be re introducing swirls that you just removed. Everything else is just as I would have done and way more than most people I see on this forum doing. I have read so many posts where people buy a coating on without proper prep. What a waste.

• Helpful x 1
  18. Magnets!

Magnets! Member

Did a similar 10 hour job on the car, looked perfect and then got side swiped a week later. Still in the body shop.

• Informative x 1
  19. leporsche

leporsche Member

Hey, man! Nice job on the car. It looks beautiful.

I've had a hell of a time polishing my blue Model 3. There are some swirl marks in the hood, and I've been trying to get them out, but every time I attempt it, it looks no different afterwards. My buffer (Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital - Griot's Garage) is up to speed 5 and I'm using Meguiars G18016 Safe Rubbing Compound 16 Oz. as my compound.
    I'm starting to think that I need to try a different compound, as this stuff is less expensive than the other products people seem to be using.

Did you have any particular difficulty in getting swirls out?
    I don't want to mess up the paint, so higher speeds and rougher compounds make me nervous.

20. slade037

slade037 Member

For swirls on my Red Tesla, I use Griot's Correcting Cream with their Orange pad. 4 cross hatch patterns seems to get a majority of it out. I always start with the less abrasive (Griot's Perfecting Cream and yellow pad) in a small test corner and if that doesn't do anything, I go to the next level. There have been a few occasions where I had to use a microfiber pad with Griot's Fast Correcting Cream. What kind of pad are you using? I would say you might have get something a little more abrasive. I like using Griot's BOSS system because it tells/matches you with the right pad and compound.