Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.12.1.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed 12.1.2 is buggier than others lately. I'm seeing several issues (some common):
  • New audible fan runs after commute home. Car is locked and "off". Quite pronounced and have NEVER heard this fan before. 70 F degree weather and after driving 55 miles, it ran for a LEAST an hour. This isn't a "bug" per se, but it's new to the firmware. EDIT: Just read on Reddit this may be from AC usage and the system trying to "dry" things out and avoid musty smell?
  • EAP auto lane change is back to being timid. I wrote about how much better it was in 12.1.1, but I think they quickly rolled 12.1.2 to fix bugs and it feels like those improvements were tossed and they aren't in 12.1.1.
  • EAP lane recognition improvement GONE from 12.1.2. I wrote in my 12.1.1 thread about how much better lane line recognition was, but with 12.1.2, it's having issues where it always did (12.1.1 had noticeably improved this, but I think those improvements were lost or backed out when making 12.1.2).
  • Audio/streaming bugs. I've had a few times where Slacker starts a song and within 5 seconds stops with loading error. If I click on reload, it starts a new song and stops in 5 seconds again with loading error. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum. Once I fixed it by reboot. Today I fixed it by changing to Tune-in and then back to Slacker.
  • Range swings. Today I got home with 128 miles range, around 6:30pm. By 8:00pm, by car's range was up to 138 miles. Maybe related to first bullet of fan noise? Interestingly enough, I noticed about 12 miles of "vampire loss" just by doing the trip computer math of: Start range=252 miles, drove 112 miles, displayed trip efficiency was 220 Wh/mi. Range "should" have been > 140 since rated efficiency is ~240 and I got 220.....but my range was 128 mi and I noticed this was low. Then magically over the course of a few hours it is back now.
I forgot to also mention:
  • AP reboots
  • blindspot unavailable errors

Reactions: Perry and PoitNarf
Agreed 12.1.2 is buggier than others lately. I'm seeing several issues (some common):
  • New audible fan runs after commute home. Car is locked and "off". Quite pronounced and have NEVER heard this fan before. 70 F degree weather and after driving 55 miles, it ran for a LEAST an hour. This isn't a "bug" per se, but it's new to the firmware. EDIT: Just read on Reddit this may be from AC usage and the system trying to "dry" things out and avoid musty smell?
  • EAP auto lane change is back to being timid. I wrote about how much better it was in 12.1.1, but I think they quickly rolled 12.1.2 to fix bugs and it feels like those improvements were tossed and they aren't in 12.1.1.
  • EAP lane recognition improvement GONE from 12.1.2. I wrote in my 12.1.1 thread about how much better lane line recognition was, but with 12.1.2, it's having issues where it always did (12.1.1 had noticeably improved this, but I think those improvements were lost or backed out when making 12.1.2).
  • Audio/streaming bugs. I've had a few times where Slacker starts a song and within 5 seconds stops with loading error. If I click on reload, it starts a new song and stops in 5 seconds again with loading error. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum. Once I fixed it by reboot. Today I fixed it by changing to Tune-in and then back to Slacker.
  • Range swings. Today I got home with 128 miles range, around 6:30pm. By 8:00pm, by car's range was up to 138 miles. Maybe related to first bullet of fan noise? Interestingly enough, I noticed about 12 miles of "vampire loss" just by doing the trip computer math of: Start range=252 miles, drove 112 miles, displayed trip efficiency was 220 Wh/mi. Range "should" have been > 140 since rated efficiency is ~240 and I got 220.....but my range was 128 mi and I noticed this was low. Then magically over the course of a few hours it is back now.
This firmware update allows the M3 to supercharge at extremely high rates. The Tesla thermal management system makes this possible. The Tesla superbottle provides a heat exchange link to the AC system. In other words, the AC system can help maintain peoper battery temps when high charge rates create excess heat,. What we hear now (and i hear it too) is the AC system running when necessary for thermal management support. Anyway that’s my theory.

This firmware update allows the M3 to supercharge at extremely high rates. The Tesla thermal management system makes this possible. The Tesla superbottle provides a heat exchange link to the AC system. In other words, the AC system can help maintain peoper battery temps when high charge rates create excess heat,. What we hear now (and i hear it too) is the AC system running when necessary for thermal management support. Anyway that’s my theory.
Makes sense, but I think this might only apply when supercharging. I'm currently on a road trip in my wife's Model 3 & the fan is much noisier when supercharging than mine was last summer. Neither car seems to be any louder in the garage that I've noticed. But, after almost a year, I admit that I don't really pay much attention to any noises that it makes anymore... unless it's really loud.

Have the fan running after parked issue as well as the streaming issue. Hope this gets fixed in 16

i just updated to 2019.12.1.2 but had a hard time updating with sentry on and trying to update with app, i had to turn off sentry mode to update

Yeah, it's been a known issue for a little while. Currently impossible to start an update while Sentry Mode is enabled. I've read that the error message you get when trying to do this is not very obvious.

Yeah, it's been a known issue for a little while. Currently impossible to start an update while Sentry Mode is enabled. I've read that the error message you get when trying to do this is not very obvious.

I don’t think it’s an “issue” so to speak, i actually think it’s a good feature that was intentionally developed by Tesla for the car’s “safety”. This avoids 1) turning off Sentry mode, and 2) unlocking the doors, while the update is doing its thing.

If Sentry Mode re-enabled after the update/reboot that usually
makes the system unresponsive to the phone until everything
is reinitialized, you could be sentry'd out of your own car. So
it's clearly a by-design smart decision.

Overall 2019.12.1.2 has been very good for me. People with
problems, have you done both the Screen Reboot with brake
pedal down AND a full power off restart for ~ 3 minutes?

Went back for my appt to upgrade the maps and spent 2 hours waiting while they told me it was working then at the end they said actually it didn't work at all and they found some errors in the software logs (which i told them it has been having upgrade issues for the past 3 updates) during my previous failed appt. So now I need to go back again tomorrow and they will try wiping the computer entirely and reinstalling all software. No loaner is available of course so most likely will turn into a mess of trying to get to work on time. So this will be my third visit and over 4 hours waiting time to hope they actually do something this time.

12.1.2 - The LTE connection keeps getting lost. It is restored after a reboot. I never had this happen on any prior releases. Also this is not about lack of coverage on a new location, these are locations (my home and office) where there has been consistent and good coverage.
Definitely an annoyance..