Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.12.1.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yea, Tesla isn't ready for full auto-drive... I find the 'severe braking with no one in my lane" extremely annoying and my wife hates when I use autopilot, even with my hands on the wheel. All it takes is one jerky stop, and she's pissed, so I only use it when she's not in the car.
We have the AP-1 and we have noticed that in firmware, v9 12.1.1 (4b1dd29), regen works like it always has, when you lift your foot off the accelerator, there is the rapid slow down of the car.
But with this new firmware version, if you are using AP or if you are using the Adaptive Cruise, the regen no longer slams you. It is a more controlled decrease of speed.
This has always been a complaint in my book because you must be ready to pick up the acceleration in order to not make the passengers sea sick from the rapid slow down. Now, I can be more relaxed in following up on the accelerator
Great Job Tesla!

Reactions: Big Earl
We have the AP-1 and we have noticed that in firmware, v9 12.1.1 (4b1dd29), regen works like it always has, when you lift your foot off the accelerator, there is the rapid slow down of the car.
But with this new firmware version, if you are using AP or if you are using the Adaptive Cruise, the regen no longer slams you. It is a more controlled decrease of speed.
This has always been a complaint in my book because you must be ready to pick up the acceleration in order to not make the passengers sea sick from the rapid slow down. Now, I can be more relaxed in following up on the accelerator
Great Job Tesla!

I've noticed weakened regen too. Not sure how I feel about it yet since I kind of liked it being more aggressive but will probably get used to this. This is the first update for me that didn't turn off my audio immersion setting.

My experience is the regen is about half of what it used to be or less. I mean it is significant and very noticeable. It also seems the transition between regen and accelerate or no pedal and light pedal down is more abrupt now to where it isn't a smooth transition. I used to let my foot off and slow and then press again without any jumpyness but now it jumps a little in both situations, accel to regen and regen or stopped to accel. I much preferred the 2019.5.15 I had for 2 months before this update. I have a service appt thursday to install the latest maps which won't download for me over LTE. I have no wifi.

I installed 2019.12.1.2 last week and now the screen freezes, shows the car is in park, does not show the speed, turn signals don't work, goes black, then sometimes reboots by itself. Have a service appointment this week. Car is unsafe to drive in this condition.

Had the update for a while.. backup camera still turns black quite a lot, which didn't happen with earlier versions. No major issues like some here have experienced, fortunately.
Seems like the Auto Wipers work better than they ever have.

Agreed 12.1.2 is buggier than others lately. I'm seeing several issues (some common):
  • New audible fan runs after commute home. Car is locked and "off". Quite pronounced and have NEVER heard this fan before. 70 F degree weather and after driving 55 miles, it ran for a LEAST an hour. This isn't a "bug" per se, but it's new to the firmware. EDIT: Just read on Reddit this may be from AC usage and the system trying to "dry" things out and avoid musty smell?
  • EAP auto lane change is back to being timid. I wrote about how much better it was in 12.1.1, but I think they quickly rolled 12.1.2 to fix bugs and it feels like those improvements were tossed and they aren't in 12.1.1.
  • EAP lane recognition improvement GONE from 12.1.2. I wrote in my 12.1.1 thread about how much better lane line recognition was, but with 12.1.2, it's having issues where it always did (12.1.1 had noticeably improved this, but I think those improvements were lost or backed out when making 12.1.2).
  • Audio/streaming bugs. I've had a few times where Slacker starts a song and within 5 seconds stops with loading error. If I click on reload, it starts a new song and stops in 5 seconds again with loading error. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum. Once I fixed it by reboot. Today I fixed it by changing to Tune-in and then back to Slacker.
  • Range swings. Today I got home with 128 miles range, around 6:30pm. By 8:00pm, by car's range was up to 138 miles. Maybe related to first bullet of fan noise? Interestingly enough, I noticed about 12 miles of "vampire loss" just by doing the trip computer math of: Start range=252 miles, drove 112 miles, displayed trip efficiency was 220 Wh/mi. Range "should" have been > 140 since rated efficiency is ~240 and I got 220.....but my range was 128 mi and I noticed this was low. Then magically over the course of a few hours it is back now.

Last edited:
This happens to be a phone issue.... I experience this allot also.

I have to swing my hip towards the car to get it to unlock...

But.... I also have this issue when listening to bluetooth headsets... Works great in the front pocket, but if I switch the phone to the back pocket, it cuts in and out...

I have this issue with allot of phones for years...

I do the same exact thing. I have to swing my hips around to open the door when my phone is in my back pocket also.