Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.16.2 - Auto Pilot and Auto Steering Unavailable

Any help with resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

• is this a software or hardware issue?

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • What can I do before wasting a day at Tesla.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that the auto dimming on the screen, auto headlights not working and auto steer/ autopilot “unavailable.” Did hard reset and power off with charger plugged in overnight and still not working.
Michael, 16.2 has been really bad for me. Set your software to advanced and maybe we’ll get a lucky early update. 16.2 broke many things for me.

Turn off Bluetooth on your phones.

Unlock with key card.

Turn off sentry mode.

Clean out your USB drive.

Leave it unhooked for now.

Reboot with the pedal (still up in the air if this is different than regular 2 steering button reboot)

Do a system shutdown from the touchscreen, don't touch anything for at least 3 minutes.

You should hear the air vents turn off completely and the vents to go back normal position when it's completely off.

Get out and lock the car with the key card.

Leave it plugged in charging for a few hours.

Fixed it for me. I think it finally gets to deep sleep.

I know it's a bunch if steps but I tried everything else I could think of and couldn't get it to work.

Once it's good, you can re-enable everything.

• Informative
Reactions: nlp187 and hcdavis3
Turn off Bluetooth on your phones.

Unlock with key card.

Turn off sentry mode.

Clean out your USB drive.

Leave it unhooked for now.

Reboot with the pedal (still up in the air if this is different than regular 2 steering button reboot)

Do a system shutdown from the touchscreen, don't touch anything for at least 3 minutes.

You should hear the air vents turn off completely and the vents to go back normal position when it's completely off.

Get out and lock the car with the key card.

Leave it plugged in charging for a few hours.

Fixed it for me. I think it finally gets to deep sleep.

I know it's a bunch if steps but I tried everything else I could think of and couldn't get it to work.

Once it's good, you can re-enable everything.
Thanks Petrlol. I ended up doing just that and finally got everything to work, hopefully. Stay tuned.

Autopilot failed on me today while in use - the second time in two days. Today after the Red Hands warning, the cameras went into calibration mode for about 5 minutes and then AP was available again. I submitted a bug report, but on my prior call with support, they mentioned they were aware of the issue - with lots of people calling in to report AP failures. For now - I'm just sitting tight for a new update.

My AP failed today too... No lane lines and no images of cars around me. I did recently get 16.2 and switched to Sentry mode always on.

I am going to do the "let car sleep" procedure above now, and hopefully it resets things.

Had reported all the same symptoms noted above about two days ago on this forum. No lane or vehicle visualizations and no AP. Tried every reboot many times, finally scheduled a service center visit for next week earlier today. Within hours the SC emailed me asking me about time/date it started being symptomatic. They pulled the logs and sent me the newest update 16.3.2 and all problems appear resolved! I was impressed with the efficiency. You might want to try this too.

Yes, letting my car sleep fixed the problem (for now). It does make sense that maybe the AP computer got wedged due to constant on Sentry mode. (Slow "memory leak"?)

Note, I am still on 2019.16.2

I've had two pretty significant failures with 2019.16.2, one this past Friday, and one today. The two cases were different from one another and were also different from the failures I had on an earlier release of the code.

In the earlier release of code, when AP failed, the APE had to reset itself, which took about 10 minutes to do. During this time no cars or lane markings were visible on display. This was reproducible about 40% of the time I drove through a tunnel here in NY. Tesla fixed the issue, and I no longer experienced that particular issue in 16.2

That said, some new problems came up.

Last Friday, without getting a nag message, the car went into park and flashed the hazard lights. The APE computer was fine, and I was able to restart AP immediately. I initially thought I somehow missed the nag messages, but after speaking to support, they told me that was not the case.

Today, AP aborted 20 seconds after starting AP. This time, it just told me to take over, and I was able to re-enable it immediately afterward. There wasn't even time for a nag message to appear.

I spent an hour on the phone with Tesla this evening, and while we were on the phone, I started getting an update for 2019.16.3.2. We decided I'd try this version and see if it fails again before scheduling a service center appointment.

None of these issues have inspired a sense of comfort in AP, and I hope these issues get resolved soon.