Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.16 features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like your car has the new v3 computer. I wonder if non-v3 cars will see this as well, since H.265 is way more CPU-intensive to encode than H.264. Anyone with 2.5 hardware have 2019.16 yet?

I would be really surprised if they were handling video compression on the APE computer. That is typically handled by the MCU. This may well be a difference between MCU1 and MCU2.

Something I just noticed about the 2019.16.x update: it changes the file format used for TeslaCam videos (dash cam and Sentry Mode) to the newer, more efficient HEVC/H.265 codec/format.

That means your computer (or whatever you're using to play back the video files) needs to support this new video format. Recent Macs should handle it just fine, and Windows 10 should be able to play them after installing this HEVC extension from the Windows Store.

Both of the apps I've tried (Sentry Keeper and TeslaCamViewer) fail to play videos recorded on 2019.16, and I suspect the app developers will have to update them before they work.

The web app created by @jdeskins, TeslaCam Video Player, works only if your browser supports HEVC video (which right now means Safari on a recent version of MacOS and Edge on Windows 10 with the HEVC extension installed). Note that as far as I can tell, Chrome does NOT support HEVC, and I didn't find an easy way to make it happen. If you use the web app, just use Safari or Edge as a workaround (I've replied to the developer to let him know, but I don't know if there's much that can be done in browsers that don't support HEVC).

Just something to be aware of as 2019.16.x starts rolling out. If you're one of the lucky few that got it already, and you're having trouble viewing your TeslaCam videos, this is probably why.

The Chrome extension can be found here:

H.265 / HEVC player

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Man I really hope some variant of 2019.16.x starts rolling out this week. I've got a long road trip this weekend and it would be nice to get this update before that...

I know this information will be useless after 2019.16.x goes out to the majority of vehicles, but do we have average roll-out schedules from previous firmware versions?

Last edited:
I know this information will be useless after 12.16.x goes out to the majority of vehicles, but do we have average roll-out schedules from previous firmware versions?

You mean 2019.16.x. There is no 2019.12.16.x :)

Every update deployment is different. Just because things happened one way with a previous update roll out doesn't mean the same thing will happen the next time. I've seen new versions hit a majority of the fleet in less than 48 hours time since initial release but there have also been cases where an update takes weeks to get to at least 50% of the fleet.

Reactions: willow_hiller
It sounds like your car has the new v3 computer. I wonder if non-v3 cars will see this as well, since H.265 is way more CPU-intensive to encode than H.264. Anyone with 2.5 hardware have 2019.16 yet?
The Intel Apollo Lake SoC that is used in the MCU in the Model 3 has hardware acceleration for H.265 encoding, so it shouldn't be an issue on either HW2 or HW3.

• Informative
Reactions: dloop and McFlurri
The Intel Apollo Lake SoC that is used in the MCU in the Model 3 has hardware acceleration for H.265 encoding, so it shouldn't be an issue on either HW2 or HW3.

I'm pretty sure that the encoding is all done in the APE not the MCU... (They specifically called out that HW3 has a video encoder section, and I can't imagine that being of any value for the NN.) How many video streams can the Apollo Lake SoC handle at the same time? 1? 3? 8?

I'm pretty sure that the encoding is all done in the APE not the MCU... (They specifically called out that HW3 has a video encoder section, and I can't imagine that being of any value for the NN.)
It's possible, but the Tegra X2 SoCs that are used on the HW2.5 APE also support H.265 encoding acceleration.
How many video streams can the Apollo Lake SoC handle at the same time? 1? 3? 8?
That depends a lot on the encoding parameters.

The Chrome extension can be found here:

H.265 / HEVC player
I tried that one, and it will work if you're just trying to play a single HEVC video, but it does not enable HEVC playback everywhere in Chrome (at least, it didn't seem to when I tried it).

That will matter for apps like TeslaCam Video Player that add more functionality than "play back one HEVC video at a time", which with the way video files are saved currently, is super helpful.

I'm sure it will all be working soon - I just wanted to throw out a heads up in case someone couldn't get videos to play on their computer, and was trying to figure out why it wasn't working.