Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.16 features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I am glad to have the new visualization back. I also like the Land Departure Avoidance. I tried that out this morning and it works great. Actually, it corrected my driving while on a curve before I had a chance to do my own test.

I know these new safety features work even when AP is not in use, but can anyone confirm whether they're available if AP was never purchased? It's a bit hard to tell from the press release.

Reactions: PaulJohn
I know these new safety features work even when AP is not in use, but can anyone confirm whether they're available if AP was never purchased? It's a bit hard to tell from the press release.

These features should be available in all Tesla vehicles regardless of whether AP or FSD was purchased.

Tesla releases new active safety features powered by Autopilot

“While Tesla sells its Autopilot convenience features and Full Self-Driving package at a price, the company is leveraging the same technology it is developing for driver assist features and self-driving to produce active safety features that it releases for free in all vehicles.”

Rollout of 2019.16.1 seems to have slowed down? It's now the third most common software version behind 12.1.2 and 12.1.1, but still only around 5%.

Screen Shot.png

I think it's still being tested by a small group of the fleet before rolling out to entire fleet. Hope it gets pushed by end of this weekend.

Reactions: willow_hiller
How many people do you think would opt for the "Standard" Software Update Preference? I imagine most people would go over to "Advanced." Maybe by giving people a choice, Tesla support can always say "Sorry about the bugs you're experiencing, switch back to Standard update mode if you want more stable releases."

Reactions: PaulJohn
Anyone on 12.1.2 that can request 16.1 on the software page in Settings?

No one on 12.1.2 can request an update. You can go to that screen and watch for a notice that there is an update waiting to be downloaded. This is what happened for me on my drive home yesterday, before I left work I looked at the software page, saw that notice, and then started my wifi hotspot from my phone and it started downloading.

No one on 12.1.2 can request an update. You can go to that screen and watch for a notice that there is an update waiting to be downloaded. This is what happened for me on my drive home yesterday, before I left work I looked at the software page, saw that notice, and then started my wifi hotspot from my phone and it started downloading.
So it’s not really any different than before. We all still wait until they send the update notification.

Right but for now going to the software screen isn’t actually requesting if an update is available. It’s simply showing a notification that one is available, pretty much like before.

The distinction is that before 12.1.2, users didn't know whether their car wasn't updating because it wasn't connecting to the wifi correctly, or if it just wasn't flagged for update. 12.1.2 allows it to download the software update notice over LTE, and notify a user that they need to connect to the wifi to download it.